Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What should the Reds do with Tony Cingrani?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep him and pencil him into the Reds rotation for the next 5 years

24 66.67%
  • Keep him but consider him for the bullpen (moving Chapman to the rotation)

1 2.78%
  • Trade him and sell high for other needs, just like they did with Zach Stewart

5 13.89%
  • Other (list below)

6 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani - the next Zach Stewart or the next Cliff Lee?

Tony Cingrani - the next Zach Stewart or the next Cliff Lee?

Five years ago, the Reds drafted a college reliever from Texas in the 3rd round and announced plans to convert him to a starter. Despite questions about his development of secondary pitches, the conversion was wildly successful and the pitcher blew through the minor leagues, setting team and league records for ERA along the way, posting ERAS of 1.09 and 1.89 in his first two years respectively- the second of which he climbed the minor league ladder all the way to AAA. Then they traded him, much to the chagrin of many Redszoners who guaranteed he would win multiple Cy Youngs in another team's uniform.

Fast forward a couple years later, and the story seems to be repeating itself (only this time the pitcher throws with his left hand and hasn't been traded...yet.) So here is a question:

Is Tony Cingrani the next Zach Stewart? Why or why not?

Would you keep him and pencil him into the rotation for the next 5 years?
    Would you keep him and consider him for the bullpen?
    Would you sell high and trade him now like the Reds did with Zach Stewart?
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-05-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tony Cingrani - the next Zach Stewart or the next Cliff Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Five years ago, the Reds drafted a college reliever from Texas in the 3rd round and announced plans to convert him to a starter. Despite questions about his development of secondary pitches, the conversion was wildly successful and the pitcher blew through the minor leagues, setting team and league records for ERA along the way, posting ERAS of 1.09 and 1.89 in his first two years respectively- the second of which he climbed the minor league ladder all the way to AAA. Then they traded him, much to the chagrin of many Redszoners who guaranteed he would win multiple Cy Youngs in another team's uniform.

Fast forward a couple years later, and the story seems to be repeating itself (only this time the pitcher throws with his left hand and hasn't been traded...yet.) So here is a question:

Is Tony Cingrani the next Zach Stewart? Why or why not?

Would you keep him and pencil him into the rotation for the next 5 years?
    Would you keep him and consider him for the bullpen?
    Would you sell high and trade him now like the Reds did with Zach Stewart?
    Either plan B or C. I don't think he will be a successful starter. But a very good reliever or possibly a good trade piece.

[PHP]Either plan B or C. I don't think he will be a successful starter. But a very good reliever or possibly a good trade piece. [/PHP]

why not A? what makes you a non-believer?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I went with "other". I don't want to trade him, but I am also not entirely ready to pencil him into the rotation either. He looked awfully good last night in areas I hadn't been impressed with him before. At the same time, he wasn't as good in other areas where I feel he has excelled in the past. I am more convinced, by about 100 times, that he can start in the future than I was a year ago at this time, but I still want to see more. One start isn't enough for me yet, but a few more like it (even if the results aren't nearly as good) will go a long way for me.

B or C. There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

jvs

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PTjvs View Post
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

jvs
    Yes there is. There always has been and there always will be.

Other. Don't know nearly enough yet to make the call.

(I have been trying to add this edit into the OP but keep getting an error message, so I'll just post it here)

IMO, this is when baseball talent evaluators and decision makers really differentiate themselves (and earn their money). Anyone can see what he is currently doing to minor league competition. But will it last? What will his future look like and how should the Reds approach/capitalize off of it? It will be interesting to look back at some of the opinions/predictions expressed on this thread 3-5 years from now. State your opinion/intention below:
    Go BLUE!!!

I hold on to all my top pitching prospects unless overwhelmed. It is a "Safety in Numbers" philosophy.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-05-2013),M2 (04-06-2013),mth123 (04-06-2013),RedsManRick (04-08-2013)

I went with A - keep him and pencil him into the rotation. The great thing about a pencil is that it can be erased if you change your mind. That being said if Tampa calls and offers Will Myers for Cingrani, you say thank you and buy him a nice plane ticket.
    Last edited by klw; 04-05-2013 at 03:43 PM.

13. Likes:

texasdave (04-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I hold on to all my top pitching prospects unless overwhelmed. It is a "Safety in Numbers" philosophy.
    Including Zach Stewart and Brad Boxberger?
    Go BLUE!!!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I voted to "pencil him into the rotation," but I am firm in my belief that every player is tradeable in some situation. If the Marlins wanted to trade Stanton straight up for him, of course I would pull the trigger on that trade. Since other teams don't value him at such an excess of value level, I will pencil him into my rotational depth (especially considering the Chapman move) unless I am blown away.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I know this is not directed to me, but I also like the safety in numbers philosophy. For me, it is not that I absolutely hate to see any pitcher dealt, but it is I am more inclined to hold onto my pitching than my positional prospects/players because since pitchers can lose it so fast, I want to hold some depth.

17. Likes:

texasdave (04-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I know this is not directed to me, but I also like the safety in numbers philosophy. For me, it is not that I absolutely hate to see any pitcher dealt, but it is I am more inclined to hold onto my pitching than my positional prospects/players because since pitchers can lose it so fast, I want to hold some depth.
    Don't disagree I just like to be thought provoking. Cingrani has kind of a boom or bust feel to him. I'd just like to see what some of the armchair quarterbacks around here would like to do, so that we can look back much like we have on the Zach Stewart trade and potential Erik Bedard trade.

Personally, I hand him the keys to Arroyo's spot in the rotation. If it doesn't seem to work, I'd consider swapping Cingrani and Chapman. I think at a minimum Cingrani could be a dominant closer, if not a very good starting pitcher. But then again, I could be proven wrong.

The guy I'd look to trade is Mike Leake, especially if Corcino looks good in AAA and/or the Reds ever decide to try Chapman in the rotation (maybe Broxton and Marshall are dominant enough to give them that confidence). And if Chapman really is staying in the 'pen, I'd trade Broxton in a second if they could. Ditto for Ludwick. Wasn't a huge fan of either of those offseason re-signings.

And as I said on tORG, I'd offer the Marlins their choice of 2 of Chapman/Hamilton/Cingrani (not all 3) in exchange for Stanton. If they bite (pun intended), the Reds have a scary good lineup for years to come.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-05-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Looking back is much easier than looking forward. It is just my philosophy on running a club. Acquire and hold on to as much pitching as possible. That's really the only answer I have there.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-05-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Turn Off Ads?