Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trade Idea That Just Won't Die

The Trade Idea That Just Won't Die

With Ludwick out, a lot of support behind a Choo extension and the team's insistence on him remaining in CF, Chapman firmly entrenched in the bullpen and Cingrani looking dominant at AAA, would you pull the trigger on a trade of Chapman, Hamilton, and Cingrani for Giancarlo Stanton?

Would the Fish? (I'd have to believe they would strongly consider such a proposal)

Would you? (I'd offer 2 of those 3 along with a lesser player/prospect, but not all 3)
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-05-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Trade Idea That Just Won't Die

I would rather see if Choo can get extended before even thinking about trading Hamilton.

seems like 2 much to me but idk much about this stuff

If I'm the Marlins I don't know if I would do this because they aren't anywhere close to contending and I think Chapman is eligible for free agency in two years. I do think that offer would get Miami's attention, though.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    If I'm the Marlins I don't know if I would do this because they aren't anywhere close to contending and I think Chapman is eligible for free agency in two years. I do think that offer would get Miami's attention, though.
    But what's interesting about this deal from their perspective is that it gives them exactly what they want-

Loria wants to try to make things interesting for fans without shelling out a lot of dough. Chapman and Hamilton are undoubtedly two of the ten most exciting players in the game, and Cingrani adds a great arm (to Jose Fernandez who is already in the big leagues) under cheap control for many years.

Unlikely they trade Stanton in the next few months, but if they did I'd think this would be as attractive of a return as any for them.

From the Reds perspective, it just furthers the idea of the window for championship contention from now through 2016. After that, a herculean rebuilding effort would likely need to take place (ie what the Cubs have been doing for the last 18 months).
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    That's probably the only reason why they wouldn't accept it. Hamilton and Chapman are both very exciting players who would drum up some fan interest. I think it would suck to lose Chapman though. Having a closer like that is so relieving.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    With Ludwick out, a lot of support behind a Choo extension and the team's insistence on him remaining in CF, Chapman firmly entrenched in the bullpen and Cingrani looking dominant at AAA, would you pull the trigger on a trade of Chapman, Hamilton, and Cingrani for Giancarlo Stanton?

Would the Fish? (I'd have to believe they would strongly consider such a proposal)

Would you? (I'd offer 2 of those 3 along with a lesser player/prospect, but not all 3)
    That's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for Giancarlo.... are you crazy? Chapman for Stanton straight up would be fair enough let alone giving our top two prospects.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

As exciting as Chapman is coming into the 9th inning, and as excited as I am to see Hamilton in a Reds uniform some day..........I'd do Chapman, Hamilton and a lower minor leaguer. And only if Choo is extended first. The Fish would have to take on Ludwick's contract too.

The Reds are going to have an interesting dilemma at the end of this season or the end of next in terms of minor leaguers improving enough to move up to the majors. Payroll relief by trading away some major leaguers with big salaries or will these minor leaguers be trade pieces to add missing parts? Stay tuned.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

If I could lock up Choo to a 3+ year deal and he is fine playing center for those three+ years, I try to talk them down from all three players, but if they need all three, I do it.

The Reds bullpen is going to be good enough without Chapman as long as Marshall is healthy.

A lineup of
    Choo
    Phillips
    Votto
    Stanton
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Hanigan

is pretty nasty. Can you imagine how good Votto will look when teams aren't able to intentionally walk him. Plus, Bruce should bounce back and reasonably protect Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    That's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for Giancarlo.... are you crazy? Chapman for Stanton straight up would be fair enough let alone giving our top two prospects.
    A closer for an MVP level player? Any MLB team would want more then that for a legit franchise player.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

no way, those 3 players are very key pieces to the reds future

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    As exciting as Chapman is coming into the 9th inning, and as excited as I am to see Hamilton in a Reds uniform some day..........I'd do Chapman, Hamilton and a lower minor leaguer. And only if Choo is extended first. The Fish would have to take on Ludwick's contract too.

The Reds are going to have an interesting dilemma at the end of this season or the end of next in terms of minor leaguers improving enough to move up to the majors. Payroll relief by trading away some major leaguers with big salaries or will these minor leaguers be trade pieces to add missing parts? Stay tuned.
    Can you trade a player who's on the DL?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Someday the budget will be tapped, Phillips, Bruce, Votto, Choo... if we want a corner OF getting old in CF for 16 million a year.

Then there is pitching that will want to be paid as well, Bailey, Latos, Cueto all could make more than 10 million too.

Add Stanton to that and the real issue is the Reds don't have the ability to lock up 7 or more players with 7 figure salaries, they need relief in the form of young talent making less money than they are giving back to the team.

15. Likes:

Always Red (04-05-2013),mth123 (04-06-2013),OGB (04-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Can you trade a player who's on the DL?
    Yes, you can do that these days, that said you sign a 34 year old guy who wants to stay here, he pops a shoulder and heads to the DL for 3 months and NO ONE will want him anymore than they want to buy my ripped up converse all stars

I would do the deal on a player for player basis, I don't know about the payroll ramifications.

If the Reds could swing this I would put all my focus into extending Stanton. Even shopping Bruce around if needed.

Votto and Stanton in one lineup would be incredible.

Turn Off Ads?