Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trade Idea That Just Won't Die

Re: The Trade Idea That Just Won't Die

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    With Ludwick out, a lot of support behind a Choo extension and the team's insistence on him remaining in CF, Chapman firmly entrenched in the bullpen and Cingrani looking dominant at AAA, would you pull the trigger on a trade of Chapman, Hamilton, and Cingrani for Giancarlo Stanton?

Would the Fish? (I'd have to believe they would strongly consider such a proposal)

Would you? (I'd offer 2 of those 3 along with a lesser player/prospect, but not all 3)
    You can't trade one of the best prospects in baseball. I think he has the potential to be one of the best ever.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I would do the deal if it were 2 of those 3, and a throw in. Anyway, it ain't happening.

But it got me thinking: what player would have the highest trade value of all players? Considering contract years, salary, and age of course. I imagine Stanton would be up there, but I'm thinking it's gotta be Kershaw, right?
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I would do the deal if it were 2 of those 3, and a throw in. Anyway, it ain't happening.

But it got me thinking: what player would have the highest trade value of all players? Considering contract years, salary, and age of course. I imagine Stanton would be up there, but I'm thinking it's gotta be Kershaw, right?
    Trout and Harper in some order.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Ok sure. Do you want to place a wager that the Marlins trade Giancarlo Stanton at some point in the next 2.5 years? Not saying it will happen tomorrow, or even this season (as I suggested already on this thread). But he will not finish his career in Teal, and his departure may happen a lot sooner than people like you think.

Prior to 2012, no one thought the D'backs would trade Justin Upton for a long time. Very few people ever believed the Padres would consider moving Mat Latos.
    No one ever thought the Marlins would trade Josh Beckett. Or Miguel Cabrera. Or Dontrelle Willis. Or Hanley Ramirez. Or Jose Reyes. Or Josh Johnson (since he was the one guy they actually paid to keep). See a pattern here?

I think it's pretty stupid when posters on this messageboard say "a team won't trade so and so" even when there are several published reports saying they will consider it. It's one thing if you're talking about a team like the Reds trading Joey Votto after they just made a 12 year commitment to him. It's another if you're talking about the one team in professional sports where no one is ever safe, and you're talking about a young player who has publicly expressed his desire to get out.

If you want another (cross-sport) example of where this kind of logic breaks down, look at the Raiders/Bengals dynamic with the Carson Palmer trade. There was NO WAY the Bengals were going to trade Carson Palmer -Mike Brown, the most stubborn man in history, said it publicly many times. Yet the Raiders lost their incumbent to an injury, and were willing to pay up to change the Bengals minds. And just like that, Carson was gone.

Hopefully the Reds don't/aren't willing to overpay the same way the Raiders were (which would consist of dealing all 3 of the named players), but things happen and people change their minds. Especially when you're talking about a franchise like the Marlins that has shown about as much loyalty to their players as (fill in the blank here).
    I haven't seen a single report suggesting the Marlins are considering trading Stanton other than the kind that reads, 'if you totally blow us away with a lopsided deal, we'll think about it.'

It's certainly likely the Marlins trade him at some point if they can't get him signed. That said, they'll milk as much out of them as they can because he's the only reason fans will continue coming to the park right now. So in a year or year and a half... sure. I expect he'll be traded. But they're going to wait until they can balance milking his trade value while still at peak return and keep some semblance of revenue flowing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    The past couple of off seasons Grantland has done a ranking.
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...aseball-part-1

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-05-2013)

I don't think Loria is willing to trade him at this point-but it's certainly a interesting trade idea.

Trade Bruce for the ghost of Ben Grieve and Adam Rosales' hustle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

10. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I would do the deal on a player for player basis, I don't know about the payroll ramifications.

If the Reds could swing this I would put all my focus into extending Stanton. Even shopping Bruce around if needed.

Votto and Stanton in one lineup would be incredible.
    I have'nt read further, yet...but I was thinking something along the lines of a Bruce for Stanton trade. Would it take other pieces, and would it be considered?

Seems to be a pretty consistent group of RZ posters who are responsible for keeping this thing alive.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

13. Likes:

OGB (04-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    I have'nt read further, yet...but I was thinking something along the lines of a Bruce for Stanton trade. Would it take other pieces, and would it be considered?
    Nope. Bruce makes more then Stanton.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

If I'm the Reds I don't trade Cingrani and Hamilton for anyone.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    If I'm the Reds I don't trade Cingrani and Hamilton for anyone.
    No one should be untouchable in the right deal. I'd trade my mom for the right offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    No one should be untouchable in the right deal. I'd trade my mom for the right offer.
    Yeah but her fielding must be regressing

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    There's no realistic trade that could be made that would convince me to move those two after what they've shown.

The only players I'd be interested in are guys that are already superstars and nobody would move for prospects. I think those two have true top end potential.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yeah but her fielding must be regressing
    My mom's glove keeps her in the game.

Weak bat though.

Turn Off Ads?