Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

Watching the Reds game tonight and listening to KElch, I realized he sounds a lot like Curt Gowdy. Any old timers out there agree?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

I don't know much about Gowdy, but Kelch is pretty boring. During one of the 6 homers tonight, Kelch just stood silent until the ball cleared the wall, then said something like "home run!".

If he was on the radio I would have used it to fall asleep.

I have not heard Kelch, but I grew up with Curt Gowdy calling the Red Sox and later on national television. If he is half the announcer Gowdy was, he must be very good.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I just don't like Kelch's voice. Something about it bores me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    I just don't like Kelch's voice. Something about it bores me to tears.
    I think it's because he looks like Van Morrison. Just sets impossible vocal expectations.

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-06-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jim Kelch is my favorite of the Reds announcers.

9. Likes:

BurgervilleBuck (04-07-2013),George Anderson (04-06-2013),redsfanmia (04-06-2013)

I like Jim Kelch a lot as well. He knows his stuff yet doesn't come across as a know-it-all. Definitely a nice change of pace from Thom's incessant bloviating.

11. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-06-2013),BurgervilleBuck (04-07-2013),George Anderson (04-06-2013),JB12 (04-07-2013),mth123 (04-06-2013),redsfanmia (04-06-2013),RichRed (04-06-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (04-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I like Jim Kelch a lot as well. He knows his stuff yet doesn't come across as a know-it-all. Definitely a nice change of pace from Thom's incessant bloviating.
    This.

When Jim does the games they are enjoyable.
    Go Gators!

I have not ever cared for hearing Kelch.Too bad they cannot send the baseball announcers back to the minors like they do the players.

I too like Kelch, though I can't relate to the comparison.. Thom is ok but he makes the game about himself in a way, grandstands and bloviates. He works better as a football announcer, the fast pace of the game keeps him from saying stupid things too much and his voice is better suited for football.

Also I think Kelch and Welsh have good chemistry, and Welsh is definitely my favorite of the announcers the Reds have by a mile. I would be happy to see Kelch and Welsh as the set TV team with Grande subbing every once and a while (Hi Hello and welcome is actually kind of amusing 10 times a year) which is likely what will happen when Marty retires. Kelch and Welsh on TV with Brantley and Thom on radio, not having to listen to Brantley on TV will be nice, the "cowboy" and his schtick don't do it for me.
    Last edited by GaiusBallstar; 04-06-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    Watching the Reds game tonight and listening to KElch, I realized he sounds a lot like Curt Gowdy. Any old timers out there agree?
    I'm not quite old enough to fully remember gowdy ( I am 42), but have heard enough rebroadcast gowdy calls to back you up on that thought.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I agree that Kelch sounds a lot like Gowdy.

I like that he doesn't entertain listeners with 2-minute tangents about players/umpires who don't perform up to his lofty standards.

I like that he doesn't regale us with stories about ridiculous consumption of meat products and ice cream.

He talks about what's happening on the field.
    /r/reds

17. Likes:

dougdirt (04-06-2013),George Anderson (04-06-2013),KronoRed (04-06-2013),texasdave (04-06-2013),westofyou (04-06-2013),Yachtzee (04-06-2013)

Kelch is bad. Tom Hedrick/Bob Waller bad.

19. Likes:

WVRedsFan (04-06-2013)

1)Welsh
    2)Kelch
    3)Thom
    4)Marty
    5)Cowboy

Reds should have picked Dan Hoard over Kelch. I thought it was obvious at the time, and still think it's obvious.

22. Likes:

AintlifeGrande (04-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?