Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 55

Thread: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

  1. #16
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Kelch is bad. Tom Hedrick/Bob Waller bad.
    Just curious, but what makes you say that?

    For me, he's pretty unobjectionable. His voice is ok. Pretty generic. He's not a know-it-all. He defers to his partners on"technical" issues. He doesn't screw up play-by-play. He seems to enjoy himself and what he does.

    He's not the greatest, but he's way far away from the worst. JMO.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    He's boring and bland. Voice grates on me. Sounds like he's trying hard to be a radio announcer from the 50's. Gets names wrong all the time. He's probably a great guy, but he comes across to me as trying really hard and just not getting there. It comes across as forced and not natural. Don't care for his style at all.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  4. #18
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I agree that Kelch sounds a lot like Gowdy.

    I like that he doesn't entertain listeners with 2-minute tangents about players/umpires who don't perform up to his lofty standards.

    I like that he doesn't regale us with stories about ridiculous consumption of meat products and ice cream.

    He talks about what's happening on the field.
    This

    I loath Thom and will listen to other feeds over him, Brantley grabs the mic and I change the station

  5. Likes:

    redsfanmia (04-06-2013)

  6. #19
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,340

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    This

    I loath Thom and will listen to other feeds over him, Brantley grabs the mic and I change the station
    Thom's been very disappointing to me. I was happy when he first got hired, but he's been more stuck in his ways then his dad. Thom hasn't adapted to modern baseball at all.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

  7. Likes:

    George Anderson (04-06-2013)

  8. #20
    You're Welcome
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Mythological Land of Dayton, OH
    Posts
    412

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    I think I've wrapped my head around the Kelch Polarity around here.... if you pay attention to what an announcer says, you probably like the guy. As you should. But if you're focused on how an announcer says it, you might have a problem.

    Fine. I get it. I may be a substance-over-style type of person, and thus, not agree with it, but I get it.

    But the thing with despising Brantley is tougher for me. I mean, yes, he is very bad at the job of play-by-play. And he's a bit of a addle-brained rambler at times. But -- and I know this may be sacrilege to some -- so was Joe. But he was OUR addle-brained rambler who sucked at play-by-play, so we loved him just the same.

    Is it possible that -- while the archetype of "bumbling but beloved" announcer is a unversally valid one, and not just something that exists in Reds baseball -- some will only allow themselves to get attached to one of these types. Usually when they are young and impressionable. And then, if somebody comes along later, in the same vein, you just can't let it slide like you could with the old guy. That's the best I can come up with, because really, Cowboy's act isn't really any more of a distraction than Joe's was.

    [CAVEAT: due to the vagaries of me not being a geezer, I'm basically only qualified to talk about the final 10 years or so of Mr. Nuxhall's career. I admit these may not have been representative of his overall body of work. But they were the ones that found their way into my earholes.]

    Also: Brantley is actually pretty decent on TV, if you ask me. When he does not have to explain what's happening (because we can already see that part), he focuses on analyzing what just happened, and breaking it down for us. He'll never be a SABR genius (something Welsh is clearly working on), but when he starts talking about mechanics and in-game strategies from his significant on-field experience/perspective, he actually adds to the presentation.


    Rick

  9. Likes:

    jhiller21 (04-06-2013)

  10. #21
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    , and of coursecourse
    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Thom's been very disappointing to me. I was happy when he first got hired, but he's been more stuck in his ways then his dad. Thom hasn't adapted to modern baseball at all.
    I'm really not sure what "adapted to modern baseball" means. In my opinion baseball, as played on the field, has not really changed dramatically in my 50 years on the earth.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  11. Likes:

    jimbo (04-06-2013)

  12. #22
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,027

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    1)Welsh
    2)Kelch
    3)Thom
    4)Marty
    5)Cowboy
    1. Welsh
    2, Kelch
    3. Grande
    4. Marty

    just stop there.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. Likes:

    RichRed (04-06-2013)

  14. #23
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    I think I've wrapped my head around the Kelch Polarity around here.... if you pay attention to what an announcer says, you probably like the guy. As you should. But if you're focused on how an announcer says it, you might have a problem.

    Fine. I get it. I may be a substance-over-style type of person, and thus, not agree with it, but I get it.

    But the thing with despising Brantley is tougher for me. I mean, yes, he is very bad at the job of play-by-play. And he's a bit of a addle-brained rambler at times. But -- and I know this may be sacrilege to some -- so was Joe. But he was OUR addle-brained rambler who sucked at play-by-play, so we loved him just the same.

    Is it possible that -- while the archetype of "bumbling but beloved" announcer is a unversally valid one, and not just something that exists in Reds baseball -- some will only allow themselves to get attached to one of these types. Usually when they are young and impressionable. And then, if somebody comes along later, in the same vein, you just can't let it slide like you could with the old guy. That's the best I can come up with, because really, Cowboy's act isn't really any more of a distraction than Joe's was.

    [CAVEAT: due to the vagaries of me not being a geezer, I'm basically only qualified to talk about the final 10 years or so of Mr. Nuxhall's career. I admit these may not have been representative of his overall body of work. But they were the ones that found their way into my earholes.]

    Also: Brantley is actually pretty decent on TV, if you ask me. When he does not have to explain what's happening (because we can already see that part), he focuses on analyzing what just happened, and breaking it down for us. He'll never be a SABR genius (something Welsh is clearly working on), but when he starts talking about mechanics and in-game strategies from his significant on-field experience/perspective, he actually adds to the presentation.


    Rick
    I like Kelch and Brantley has grown on me. I can do without the Brennemans and their "Indignant Man" schtick.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  15. #24
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,645

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    1)Welsh
    2)Kelch
    3)Thom
    4)Marty
    5)Cowboy
    1) Marty
    2) Cowboy
    3) Welsh
    4) Thom
    5) Kelch

    To each his own I guess.

  16. Likes:

    texasdave (04-06-2013)

  17. #25
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I don't know much about Gowdy, but Kelch is pretty boring. During one of the 6 homers tonight, Kelch just stood silent until the ball cleared the wall, then said something like "home run!".

    If he was on the radio I would have used it to fall asleep.
    The Reds hit 6 HRs and the game was never really in doubt at a certain point. I don't mind that Kelch doesn't get excited over everything. Would you rather have Gus Johnson, who spazzes out over every minor thing? I actually find those type of announcers tiring and annoying, especially for baseball. Tom Hamilton is like that for the Indians and it drives me nuts.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  18. #26
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,379

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Kelch is fine. He's very vanilla. Irks me a bit when he gets names wrong but that's about it.

    Brantley is great at color, but boy oh boy, does he butcher the PBP. They shouldn't let him do that. He's incompetent there.

    Marty has been better with the Reds doing better. I don't think we realize how good he is at PBP. He paints the picture and tells the story so well. Classic. But I want him just to shut up when he rants. An ugly side of him.

    As others have said. Thom has been a disappointment. Bloviates like I can't believe. Doesn't have his old man's PBP chops. He really needs to eat a piece of humble pie.

    Welch is good. Tries to be hip on new sabre stats, great color guy, and knows what he's talking about. And a good personality.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  19. Likes:

    dabvu2498 (04-06-2013), Donder (04-06-2013)

  20. #27
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Watching the game today, Kelch does have that NBC Game of the Week sound. If you think the Kelch-Gowdy comparison is inaccurate, remember those of us who remember Gowdy knew him in his prime. Kelch is still relatively new to MLB. He has room to improve, but I think he's doing well so far.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  21. #28
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Excellent comparison as far as voices. Very similar tone !

  22. #29
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    I didn't like Curt Gowdy so much as a baseball announcer. I did like him on "The American Sportsman." Maybe Kelch could be the host of a brand new, "American Sportsman." I might like him better in that role.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  23. #30
    Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The University of Akron
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

    Jim Kelch has quickly risen as one of the best baseball announcers in the business. There is nothing worse than a play by play guy that thinks there should be zero dead air in live sporting events. Kelch allows the game to tell the story, and humbly interrupts only when need be. It is great.

    Along with that, his passion or the Reds is immense.

    It has been great watching him develop into a big league announcer.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25