Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Jim Kelch= Curt Gowdy

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    I have not ever cared for hearing Kelch.Too bad they cannot send the baseball announcers back to the minors like they do the players.
    Oh, they can. Ever hear of Steve Stewart?

For the record, put me in the "I like Kelch" camp. Dude is a pro's pro and keeps getting better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really like Kelch. For the most part I've enjoyed everyone except Thom.

I never expected to like Brantley but he grew on me quickly. I think Marty seems to be less grumpy and have more fun when Brantley steps in too.

I've been strictly radio for the last few years too. I miss hearing Welch and even miss Grande a little bit.

1. Marty
    2. Kelch
    3. Welsh
    4. Cowboy
    5. Thom
    6. Grande

Marty IS Reds baseball to me in many ways. Don't always agree with his opinions but he expresses them in a way that make the bad ones easy to get past for me.

Kelch gets the job done. Lets the game be the focus instead of his opinions or some stupid inside jokes.

Welsh is a chameleon. He takes on the qualities of whoever he's paired with, so he can range from excellent to a complete goober. He'd rank higher on my list if they let him do more radio PBP. On the rare occasions I've heard him in that role he has been great.

Cowboy isn't very good at PBP, but I can tolerate him when he's on his own behind the mic because at least his focus is on the game, even if he doesn't always paint the picture. It's when he's bantering with another broadcaster, telling stories about his dinner and working in the catch phrases that he becomes unbearable.

Thom is terrible. As a general rule I will listen to whatever feed does not have him on it. Too much of his calls focus on his opinions. I don't mind opinionated announcers, but the ham-fisted way he goes about it is what makes him unlistenable. The more arguable any given opinion of his is, the more loudly or insultingly he tries to make it.

Grande is like listening to Ned Flanders read Old Yeller out loud.

5. Likes:

Donder (04-07-2013)

Marty and Welsh on the radio would be perfect, in my opinion. Chris is a very good color man offering a lot of great insight and is much better than Brantley with the play by play. Welsh has really grown in his years in the booth.

Stat geek...and proud
    Oddly enough, I don't mind Thom on Fox National games, but he drives me crazy on the Reds games. I work nights, so usually the archive is up on MLB.TV by the time I get home. So I flip flop to the other team's feed once in awhile. Helps cut down "Thom fatigue." Love me some Marty though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Reds just took 2 of 3 from the Nats, and listening was blissful compared to the 1st 3 games with the Angels. There was less exasperation from the booth, less " I can't believe it", less small ball wishing, less fallacies (this is the 196 consecutive opening day for the Reds (uh no Thom they had no team in 1880 and 1881)) less pontificating nonsense more attuned for the middle of the season than the first games.

Thom has a great voice, but so did Michael Bolton.

9. Likes:

Unassisted (04-07-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think this is the best group of Reds announcers they've had. The only the way they could improve is to add Dan Hoard.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Helps cut down "Thom fatigue."
    I love this phrase you've coined. It's very apt.

The older I get, the lower my tolerance gets for announcer histrionics.

/r/reds

12. Likes:

dougdirt (04-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Oh, they can. Ever hear of Steve Stewart
    I was flipping around to different games on MLB At Bat the other day and was surprised to hear Stewart on the Royals broadcast. I guess this is his third year with them. His role (at least while I was listening) was interesting. They went to him for updates on different games and other news and notes. Kind of like a studio or sideline reporter on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Marty and Welsh on the radio would be perfect, in my opinion. Chris is a very good color man offering a lot of great insight and is much better than Brantley with the play by play. Welsh has really grown in his years in the booth.
    I agree with this entirely. I think if Marty and Chris were the regular radio pair I'd have a hard time ever watching a game on tv.

I really enjoy Kelch also. He's great at deferring to the "expert," whether that be Brantley or Welch (or even Marty when they're paired together). He does a very professional broadcast.

I like all the Reds broadcasters with the exception of Cowboy on the radio. That may be the worse decision in sports broadcasting history. I like him OK but there is no way he should have a couple innings of radio play by play.

Turn Off Ads?