Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This entire bit about him being good for a #5 is nonsense. When Dusty sends him out to the mound, I am pretty sure he doesn't tell Leake to pitch like the #5 that he is. Leake is like any other starting pitcher. He is designated to get as many hitters out as possible. If he does that at a #5 level; well, that's not good.
    So until we have 5 sub-4 ERA starters I should expect griping?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Problem is, #5 starters are, by definition, not that good at getting major league hitters out. So expectations must be tempered.

Leake is getting peppered out there. Anyone with a rational, objective eye can see that.
    That is all well and good. But don't sit there and try to tell me that somehow that makes Leake a good pitcher, just because he might be better than every other team's flotsam and jetsam.

He does better than expected does not equal a good pitcher. He is still bad. Just not as bad as some other # 5s.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If we had the #8 pick in this draft and you guaranteed me he would have the performance/production of Leake I would pick him this year. That assumes all top shelf talent was selected by then.
    Then you and I need not carry on this discussion any further. If that's all you expect out of the #8 pick in the draft then we will never find any synthesis in our discussions.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Problem is, #5 starters are, by definition, not that good at getting major league hitters out. So expectations must be tempered.

Leake is getting peppered out there. Anyone with a rational, objective eye can see that.
    I really would be interested in seeing what Manny Parra could do in the rotation.

That is all well and good. But don't sit there and try to tell me that somehow that makes Leake a good pitcher, just because he might be better than every other team's flotsam and jetsam.
    Whoa, David. You of all people should know I am no Leake fan.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

This entire bit about him being good for a #5 is nonsense. When Dusty sends him out to the mound, I am pretty sure he doesn't tell Leake to pitch like the #5 that you are. Leake is like any other starting pitcher. He is designated to get as many hitters out as possible. If he does that at a #5 level; well, that's not good.
    The maturation of Tony Cingrani is the real danger to Leake. I see him filling the role Arroyo has after Bronson is done...he's the crafty change of pace pitcher you sandwich between a couple fireballers to keep opposing hitters' timing off. Cingrani will be the lefty this rotation has always lacked and has plenty of maturing left to do, but if he knocks down the door to the Major Leagues this season he may force us to deal one of our change of pace guys.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Whoa, David. You of all people should know I am no Leake fan.
    I was addressing the board generally, not specifically.

You're right. As a 5th starter, he is league-average and he likely won't have any real impact as to our WS chances. My objection to Leake is not his current designation but to the fact that he is even on the team. I hated that pick. Leake is what he was basically projected to be - a 4th/5th starter. Average stuff but throws multiple pitches..."crafty." The kind of pitcher it is easier to forget than remember. I guess I should stop whining about it and just accept it, but I certainly hope we learned a lesson with that pick...you don't blow a top 10 pick (8 overall) on a guy who projects, at best, to be a late-rotation pitcher.
    He's a late rotation pitcher because the other four are even better. It's crazy to me how quickly we've become Yankee fans.

Then you and I need not carry on this discussion any further. If that's all you expect out of the #8 pick in the draft then we will never find any synthesis in our discussions.
    I have reasonable enough expectations to know what to expect from the 7-9 picks in a draft. If a guy comes out around average for his slot I'm not gonna whine. Of course I hope for better but I won't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    He's a late rotation pitcher because the other four are even better. It's crazy to me how quickly we've become Yankee fans.
    It's crazy to me how some people so willingly accept mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I really would be interested in seeing what Manny Parra could do in the rotation.
    Tough to tell if this was sarcastic? I liked Parra's velocity last night but he was hit pretty hard and I don't like his lack of control.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So until we have 5 sub-4 ERA starters I should expect griping?
    This IS RedsZone, you should always expect griping. It's the nature of the beast.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Leake keeping it close...good inning there.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    So would the rest of the NL.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-06-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Tough to tell if this was sarcastic? I liked Parra's velocity last night but he was hit pretty hard and I don't like his lack of control.
    Not sarcasm. I just love to watch lefties and Parra has a nice repertoire of pitches.

Maybe he just needed a change of scenery/pitching coach.

Turn Off Ads?