Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast
Results 541 to 555 of 561

Thread: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

  1. #541
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    880

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    They lost, but what a game.

    It was like two heavyweight fighters going at it.

    Reds play like this all year they'll win plenty of games.

  2. Likes:

    757690 (04-06-2013), kbrake (04-06-2013), RiverRat13 (04-06-2013), Tadasimha (04-06-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #542
    Member kbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    I'm afraid we'll be 12 games over with a 5 game lead by the end of July and the game threads will still be unbearable.

  5. Likes:

    _Sir_Charles_ (04-07-2013)

  6. #543
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,085

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I was told Hoover could close.
    I was told he could start!

    (I still like him on the staff -- but he's been treated like a rented mule so far.)
    The older I get - the better I was

    and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

  7. #544
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,117

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I was told he could start!

    (I still like him on the staff -- but he's been treated like a rented mule so far.)
    In my humble opinion, he must have talent because he's here, but he has had a horrible start. He has a 8.31 ERA, has been very hittable. He has to start improving very quickly or else he hurts the club more than he helps. The mule analogy is apt here. I just hate to lose so many games we should win even if there are 157 to go. It makes tomorrow's game almost a must win in many ways. When you have your ace going against their ace, you need to win a lot. We saw this is Harang when he was our No, 1. He was always against their best pitcher and more than often lost. I'd hate that for Cueto, but realize that baseball is like that. And I keep reminding myself that this is just the beginning of the season.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  8. #545
    Member Tadasimha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    434

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    In my humble opinion, he must have talent because he's here, but he has had a horrible start. He has a 8.31 ERA, has been very hittable. He has to start improving very quickly or else he hurts the club more than he helps. The mule analogy is apt here. I just hate to lose so many games we should win even if there are 157 to go. It makes tomorrow's game almost a must win in many ways. When you have your ace going against their ace, you need to win a lot. We saw this is Harang when he was our No, 1. He was always against their best pitcher and more than often lost. I'd hate that for Cueto, but realize that baseball is like that. And I keep reminding myself that this is just the beginning of the season.
    Way to early for this to be considered a must win game. It can be looked at as a statement game for both teams: both trying to show the other they can take the other teams' best punch (to continue the boxing analogy from a few posts back) and come back with a better one.

    Should be a great game - looking forward to it!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

  9. #546
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,977

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    I wanted to add nice strike zone called today. Neither catcher was framing well but balls in the zone were consistently called strikes.

  10. #547
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,582

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Reds have seven with the Nats and six at St. Louis by May 1. If they can basically split these games, they will have a good start. They already took two of three from the Angels, another tough customer.

    They now play tomorrow with the Nats followed by three in St. Louis. A split of those four games would be just fine, then onto some lesser opponents.

    There are some early issues, Ludwick injury, Marshall injury, Hoover overuse/ineffectiveness. But the main point for April is to split the tough games and win most with the easier clubs.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-06-2013 at 05:27 PM.

  11. #548
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    880

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Only real bad news out of the first week, other than the Ludwick injury, is Choo.

    That dude is pricing himself right out of Cincy. 100 million dollars here he comes.

    Honestly, with Ludwick, Hamilton and Bruce there isn't really a spot for him longterm, especially with Latos and Bailey the more important extensions. So, I just view it as a one year glimpse of my ideal leadoff man.

  12. #549
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Again apologies if repeating what's already been posted but can't read all the posts missed. Great weather today but I swear it felt a bit like both teams were doing their best to lose. On the Nats' side, Storen's performance in the 8th was basically a replay of the Game 5 LDS implosion last year and, in the 9th, that was the first time this year that Soriano blew a save. For the Reds, could not believe JJ again and wanted to cry with BP on 2nd and Jay Bruce struckout. Stammen's not a high velocity type but usually does get the job done. Loved Votto's triple--that alone made me feel much better about this season.

    I'm not a big Dusty basher but here were two questions I had staring closely at all that went down today from up and behind home plate:

    1. Why is Heisey so high in the order and Frazier so low. Seems like reversing the two positions should be pretty straighforward, no? Would have made a difference today.

    2. I get that the Missile only pitches one inning usually but, sheesh, he only threw 10 pitches. If he'd come back out for the next inning instead of Hoover, extremely unlikely two back-to-back home runs would have been given up to lower-in-the-order hitters. True Desmond hit well last year but hadn't yet done anything this year. And, while Ramos is a very strong young catcher, he's not usually the guy hitting a homer, let alone two.

    Bummed how this one turned out. More bummed that it didn't seem that well played by either team.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  13. #550
    Bakers Dozen PumpFak3First's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    99

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    In my humble opinion, he must have talent because he's here, but he has had a horrible start. He has a 8.31 ERA, has been very hittable. He has to start improving very quickly or else he hurts the club more than he helps. The mule analogy is apt here. I just hate to lose so many games we should win even if there are 157 to go. It makes tomorrow's game almost a must win in many ways. When you have your ace going against their ace, you need to win a lot. We saw this is Harang when he was our No, 1. He was always against their best pitcher and more than often lost. I'd hate that for Cueto, but realize that baseball is like that. And I keep reminding myself that this is just the beginning of the season.

  14. #551
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,006

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    So far. This game isn't over yet. Not with our bats.
    Good call...close but not enough. Still trying to get last year's taste out of my mouth I suppose (offensively)...keeping forgetting they don't have Stubbs at the top of the order anymore.

  15. #552
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,006

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I'm afraid we'll be 12 games over with a 5 game lead by the end of July and the game threads will still be unbearable.
    Suck it up and take it like a man!

  16. #553
    NL Central champs
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Again apologies if repeating what's already been posted but can't read all the posts missed. Great weather today but I swear it felt a bit like both teams were doing their best to lose. On the Nats' side, Storen's performance in the 8th was basically a replay of the Game 5 LDS implosion last year and, in the 9th, that was the first time this year that Soriano blew a save. For the Reds, could not believe JJ again and wanted to cry with BP on 2nd and Jay Bruce struckout. Stammen's not a high velocity type but usually does get the job done. Loved Votto's triple--that alone made me feel much better about this season.

    I'm not a big Dusty basher but here were two questions I had staring closely at all that went down today from up and behind home plate:

    1. Why is Heisey so high in the order and Frazier so low. Seems like reversing the two positions should be pretty straighforward, no? Would have made a difference today.

    2. I get that the Missile only pitches one inning usually but, sheesh, he only threw 10 pitches. If he'd come back out for the next inning instead of Hoover, extremely unlikely two back-to-back home runs would have been given up to lower-in-the-order hitters. True Desmond hit well last year but hadn't yet done anything this year. And, while Ramos is a very strong young catcher, he's not usually the guy hitting a homer, let alone two.

    Bummed how this one turned out. More bummed that it didn't seem that well played by either team.
    Chapman was pinch-hit for with a runner on second and 2 outs in the bottom of the 10th. I would not have been ok with Chapman hitting in that situation.

  17. #554
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I'm afraid we'll be 12 games over with a 5 game lead by the end of July and the game threads will still be unbearable.
    Don't blame me. I didn't post in the game thread today.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  18. #555
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: 4/6/2013 - Saturday - Reds vs Nats

    Didnt want to start a thread on this so posting here. Buster Onley on twitter :

    Buster Olney‏@Buster_ESPN3m
    Spoke to some Angels today who were really impressed by the Reds' Todd Frazier; he's 11-for-22 so far this season.

  19. Likes:

    OnBaseMachine (04-06-2013), WVRedsFan (04-06-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25