Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Please help me understand

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please help me understand

Can someone please help me understand why the Reds have Amir Garrett placed in Billings being a part-time pitcher since playing Basketball at St.Johns, and they have Nick Travieso in extended spring training when he's been in camp longer? Is there something wrong with Nick?

Re: Please help me understand

Quote Originally Posted by DWS1125 View Post
    Can someone please help me understand why the Reds have Amir Garrett placed in Billings being a part-time pitcher since playing Basketball at St.Johns, and they have Nick Travieso in extended spring training when he's been in camp longer? Is there something wrong with Nick?
    Billings doesn't start playing until June. Anyone there is in extended spring training.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Some things you need to know:

1) Billings, as a Pioneer League member, doesn't begin play until halfway through the summer.
    2) Typically, the Reds tend to baby high profile, high pedigree arms.
    3) High schoolers tend to have poor mechanics that need to be "fixed". Travieso is one of those arms.
    4) The Pioneer League and Arizona Fall Leagues are typically filled with teenagers, while the Pioneer League is usually filled with guys that tend to be a bit older.
    5) Players can be taken off the Pioneer League rosters (or put on) pretty much at will.
    6) Garrett is older than Travieso by 18 months.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Travieso and Garret will both be in Billings this year. Garret finished his season there last year, so he is still "on their roster", but they don't have a roster right now. Travieso finished his season in Arizona last year, so he is still "on their roster", but they also don't have a roster right now. Both guys are in extended spring training and pitching, gearing up for Billings or if they are really impressive and a chance opens up, Dayton later in the season.

Turn Off Ads?