Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 80

Thread: Leake: Always giving up early runs

  1. #16
    Member Nosirrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    11

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Everyone needs to realize that Leake is the 5th starter on a team with a great starting staff. We've become spoiled.

    Below is a partial list of the 55 pitchers who have given up the same or more runs than Leake. Would we be ready to jettison these guys after 1 start?

    Buehrle
    Harrison
    McCarthy
    Beckett
    Halladay
    Hamels
    Hellickson
    Nolasco
    Dickey
    Estrada
    Josh Johnson
    CC Sabathia
    Wainwright

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    33

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Send him down? He shouldn't have been promoted to the majors this soon to begin with. He's essentially the same inconsistent train wreck that he was three years ago. He hasn't made significant progress to merit the ongoing opportunities that keep costing the team dearly.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    33

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    ...And it isn't after one start. It's after three years of starts.

  5. Likes:

    coachpipe (04-08-2013)

  6. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    LOL

    Leake gave up four runs in a game where the Reds scored six yet somehow the loss is all his fault. Leake didn't pitch well today, but he wasn't a disaster either. He gave the Reds six innings and didn't let the score get out of reach. If he had given up one less run, it would have been an official quality start.

    How about we hang the loss where it really belongs, on the reliever who has 100% of the Reds losses on his record? Despite the great spring, Hoover has shat the bed thus far in the regular season.

  7. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Quote Originally Posted by HDBoy View Post
    ...And it isn't after one start. It's after three years of starts.
    What was wrong with Leake's 2010 and 2011 seasons? Heck, he was the second best pitcher on the Reds in 2011 (behind Cueto).

  8. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    62

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    4 runs is not a terrible outing. Our 1-4 are so string that expect no drop off. This is unrealistic.

  9. #22
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,129

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Why wasn't Chapman still pitching in the 11th? Why was JJ Hoover in again? Surely Chapman can do two innings in a tight game that would have ensured a series win.
    We knew Baker wouldn't have him go two.

    I agree with you: he threw 12 pitches, he could have gone two.

    The other thing is: why has Jocketty been handicapping the team if Marshall can't go?

  10. #23
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    because they didnīt want chapman batting in the bottom of the 10, 2out and todd frazier in scoring position?!? a single would have ended the game, you donīt want your closer at bat...
    Absolutely. People seem to forget that Chapman would have batted in a KEY situation. No way I would have had him get a potential game-winning AB just so I could make sure he'd pitch in the 11th.

  11. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    73

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Leake is our fifth starter, and that's about what you expect from a #5.

  12. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,387

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero2.0 View Post
    4 runs is not a terrible outing. Our 1-4 are so string that expect no drop off. This is unrealistic.
    which is a 6.00 ERA...I guess it depends on your definition of terrible. Also his WHIP was 1.67...is that terrible?

  13. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    which is a 6.00 ERA...I guess it depends on your definition of terrible. Also his WHIP was 1.67...is that terrible?
    For an entire season?

    Yes. That is terrible.

    For a single game?

    No. It's not good, but it's not terrible either.

    Terrible is one of those games where you give up more runs than innings pitched and burn out the bullpen by getting yanked before the fifth inning. Giving up three runs in six innings is considered a quality start. Leake gave up one too many runs for it to be considered a quality start, but kept his team in the game. Surely there has to be some middle ground between 'quality start' and 'terrible'?

  14. Likes:

    mth123 (04-07-2013)

  15. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,387

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    For an entire season?

    Yes. That is terrible.

    For a single game?

    No. It's not good, but it's not terrible either.

    Terrible is one of those games where you give up more runs than innings pitched and burn out the bullpen by getting yanked before the fifth inning. Giving up three runs in six innings is considered a quality start. Leake gave up one too many runs for it to be considered a quality start, but kept his team in the game. Surely there has to be some middle ground between 'quality start' and 'terrible'?
    LOL at people trying to sugarcoat a 6.00 ERA......

  16. Likes:

    coachpipe (04-08-2013)

  17. #28
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,808

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    I really am not keen on calling three runs in six innings a quality start to begin with. That works out to a 4.50 ERA. Would you consider a pitcher with a 4.50 ERA quality? I don't. The average NL starter in 2012, per baseball-reference, had a 4.04 ERA. So, if 4.04 is average; how does 4.50 merit being called quality? I think there is a problem with that quality start stat.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  18. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Central Ohio
    Posts
    223

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    In an ideal situation, Leake would be an ideal long man, so that he most likely would not face a line-up for a 2nd time in any one game.
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds

  19. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Central Ohio
    Posts
    223

    Re: Leake: Always giving up early runs

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I really am not keen on calling three runs in six innings a quality start to begin with. That works out to a 4.50 ERA. Would you consider a pitcher with a 4.50 ERA quality? I don't. The average NL starter in 2012, per baseball-reference, had a 4.04 ERA. So, if 4.04 is average; how does 4.50 merit being called quality? I think there is a problem with that quality start stat.
    they should rename a "quality start" to an "OK start"
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25