Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs - Cincy-Cleveland comparison

Fangraphs - Cincy-Cleveland comparison

The Converge of Ohio’s Two Teams

It has never happened, but it might this year – the Cleveland Indians could face the Cincinnati Reds in the World Series. Other match-ups are more likely — Nationals vs. Tigers, for instance — but Ohio’s teams may be on a collision course. It is less of a long shot than you might think.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ios-two-teams/
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fangraphs - Cincy-Cleveland comparison

Is the author from Cleveland? Horrible.

There is no comparison! Cincinnati is a much nicer city and a much more pleasant place to live. Cleveland is a terrible, terrible place to live. Cincinnati has much more going on, lacks all the corrupt polititons that Cleveland rasises and nurtures. Better sports facilities (in general, not just the major sports stadiums). Better museums, parks, DT and DT events.

I say all this having lived in both cities. 100 times out of 100 chances, if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Cincinnati!

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

What's a converge? Is it like a chasm?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

6. Likes:

vaticanplum (04-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is the author from Cleveland? Horrible.
    I thought it was stretching things more than a little when he stated Cleveland might end up only 3 or 4 games back. I simply cannot envision the scenario in which that plays out, no matter how many alternate universes might exist.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Detroit v. Cincinnati seems more likely. I-75 series!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I thought it was stretching things more than a little when he stated Cleveland might end up only 3 or 4 games back. I simply cannot envision the scenario in which that plays out, no matter how many alternate universes might exist.
    No kidding. Their top starrters are number 4 types and they have Drew Stubbs playing in a corner OF spot. I can't see that team winning 75 ganes.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

So basically if every Indian has a career year, they might be as good as the Reds.

11. Likes:

Screwball (04-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    There is no comparison! Cincinnati is a much nicer city and a much more pleasant place to live. Cleveland is a terrible, terrible place to live. Cincinnati has much more going on, lacks all the corrupt polititons that Cleveland rasises and nurtures. Better sports facilities (in general, not just the major sports stadiums). Better museums, parks, DT and DT events.

I say all this having lived in both cities. 100 times out of 100 chances, if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Cincinnati!

Rem
    Having lived in both cities I endorse your opinion. Cleveland has an edge in public transit and that is about it. Cultural institutions are better here even if Cleveland enjoys some holdover reputation that is no longer reality (I'm looking at you, Cleveland Orchestra).

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Having lived in both cities I endorse your opinion. Cleveland has an edge in public transit and that is about it. Cultural institutions are better here even if Cleveland enjoys some holdover reputation that is no longer reality (I'm looking at you, Cleveland Orchestra).
    Cleveland gets more metal shows, but I'm the only one who cares about that.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

I really enjoyed this sentence:
    "However, this is a position where the Indians are outclassed only because a superstar is in the other uniform."

Translation:
    However, this is a position where the Indians are outclassed only because the player on the other team is better.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

15. Likes:

Screwball (04-07-2013)

Say what now? http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editoria...est-orchestras

The Cleveland Orchestra is regularly considered one of the World's top orchestras. Not the US, the World. When it comes to culture, Cleveland has plenty going for it, Playhouse Square, the Natural History Museum, The Great Lakes Science Center, the Art Museum, The Botanical Gardens, and the Rock Hall. Not too far away it has the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Blossom Music Center (which pulls in not just popular acts, but also touring orchestras from around the world, in addition to being the summer home of the Cleveland Orchestra), Cedar Point, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The nightlife has had its ups and downs, but has recently been on an upswing, with a lot of great local restaurants opening up.

I've lived in Northeast Ohio for most of my life, and while I have no love for Cleveland sports teams, I think it's a fine city. Having family in Cincinnati, I've visited the city often over the years. I love Cincinnati as well. Honestly, I don't get all the hate for the city of Cleveland itself coming from those down south. Cincinnati and Cleveland have a lot more in common than different. Both get a bad rap from outsiders who don't really know what they're talking about (Cleveland is corrupt and Cincinnati is filled with religious fundamentalist wackjobs). They're both great places to live with affordable costs of living. There's plenty to do in each metropolitan region if you're willing to look around.

Now if you want to discuss the relative strengths and weaknesses of the current Reds vis-a-vis the current Indians, as the article does, I'd say the author is engaging in a bit of wishful thinking. His position assumes that the Indians players will all have career years and stay relatively healthy and indicates that the Reds players will regress and be hit with injuries. Rather than basing things on if certain Indians might have breakout seasons, why not wait till they have actual breakout seasons. Seriously, as good as the Indians' farm system has been over the years, they've had a lot of players who were suppose to be the bedrock of a World Series contender, whether due to injury or lack of ability, end up failing to reach the potential ascribed to them.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Not trying to be to much of a Reds homer, but I can't believe Dave Cameron (or whoever the approving editors are) let that go up on fangraphs.

Yahtzee, I don't want to veer more off topic so I'll simply say it is mine opinion as a classical musician that the Cincinnati Symphony has closed the gap on The Cleveland Orchestra. Paavo's tenure did great things for the CSO and FWM's time in Cleveland didn't bring the same success. I have friends in both orchestras so I don't really have a horse in the race other than living in Cincinnati. The Cleveland Orchestra has seen severe cuts that have knocked it down a peg and the CSO has improved rapidly. We now return this thread to baseball.

Edit: Gramophone and its readership have always loved Cleveland. As the article states, FWM has his detractors and I am admittedly one of them. The CO is still a wonderful ensemble.
    Last edited by reds1869; 04-07-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Yahtzee, I don't want to veer more off topic so I'll simply say it is mine opinion as a classical musician that the Cincinnati Symphony has closed the gap on The Cleveland Orchestra. Paavo's tenure did great things for the CSO and FWM's time in Cleveland didn't bring the same success. I have friends in both orchestras so I don't really have a horse in the race other than living in Cincinnati. The Cleveland Orchestra has seen severe cuts that have knocked it down a peg and the CSO has improved rapidly. We now return this thread to baseball.

Edit: Gramophone and its readership have always loved Cleveland. As the article states, FWM has his detractors and I am admittedly one of them. The CO is still a wonderful ensemble.
    Well, it was you and remdog who had to bring comparison of the cities themselves and their cultural attributes into the equation. I worked as an usher for Blossom Music Center (owned by The Cleveland Orchestra) for three years in college and I have to stick up for my peeps. From what I've heard, most of the criticism comes from those who don't like FWM's style, which is kind of like criticizing the Beatles because you didn't like the White Album. They're still top notch musicians recognized the World over. When I worked at Blossom, I got to see the Cincinnati Pops play under Erich Kunzel and they were great too. If the choice of where to live came between Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Southern California (remdog's neck of the woods), I would choose Cleveland or Cincinnati and have no desire to live in Southern California, but then I'm not a Southern California kind of guy.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?