Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman and Broxton not available tomorrow?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Chapman and Broxton not available tomorrow?

I don't know how true it is, but I was in the car earlier and one of the Reds postgame radio guys mentioned that Broxton and Chapman would not be available tomorrow against the Cardinals. But if that were the case, you knew going into today that if you used them today, they wouldn't be available tomorrow. Wouldn't it make more sense to use two other guys with a 3 run lead today?

2. Likes:

ervinsm84 (04-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman and Broxton not available tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know how true it is, but I was in the car earlier and one of the Reds postgame radio guys mentioned that Broxton and Chapman would not be available tomorrow against the Cardinals. But if that were the case, you knew going into today that if you used them today, they wouldn't be available tomorrow. Wouldn't it make more sense to use two other guys with a 3 run lead today?
    Yep. I was thinking they should have brought in Lecure instead of Broxton and left him in there until the end unless he got in trouble.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

LexRedsFan (04-07-2013)

I was hoping they would bring someone other than Chapman in the 9th for this very reason. I knew they wouldn't use him three days in a row.

Who do you suppose would be in line for a save tomorrow? Marshall? Hoover? Hopefully they win by 10 and it's a moot question.

I don't mind it at all. Might not need them tomorrow. I MIGHT have thought about letting Broxton or Marshall go 2 today to save Chapman, but you take W's when you can get them. Latos may throw a CG tomorrow for all I know.

Yeah, we could be losing tomorrow, we could be up 4, an then it's a moot point anyway. I think it was the right call. Win the series.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Yeah, we could be losing tomorrow, we could be up 4, an then it's a moot point anyway. I think it was the right call. Win the series.
    You think our bullpen was going to give up 3 or more runs in 2 innings? Possible, sure. Likely? Not so much.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

The two extra-inning games over-extended them any way you slice it. No easy answer, but you gotta lock down the Ws you have in hand, so I have no issue with how they handled it today.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

11. Likes:

Ga_Red (04-07-2013),Tommyjohn25 (04-08-2013),traderumor (04-07-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    The two extra-inning games over-extended them any way you slice it. No easy answer, but you gotta lock down the Ws you have in hand, so I have no issue with how they handled it today.
    Agreed. Especially after losing the game yesterday.

I don't really have an issue with how it was handles but I do have an issue with stating they are unavailable tomorrow....even if they are I don't want my coach announcing it to anyone....I want the cardinals to have it in the back if their mind that come late in the game you are going to face our best if we have a small lead.......not to mention if we have a 1 run lead in the 9th then dusty dam well better be getting chapman up in the pen.....he can get his rest later, 1 run games are for chapman. Unless we have 6 games in a row that are 1 run games, I want AC pitching the 9th when we have that one run lead.......

I also am not so stupid to not understand how this game is played and how and when guys need rest......but announcing it a day early is not my cup of tea. Chapman is intimidating even to major leaguers. He needs to be available almost every game that is close.....if we have a 2 run lead and AC is taxed then I am fine with broxton closing it out but chap is my guy with a one run lead and he should be dusty's also.....that's my issue.

14. Likes:

Chip R (04-07-2013)

Another infamous "unwritten rule of baseball" mess which is use of closers only in 9th inning saves (which Dusty is a card carrying member of)...is silly. Why Broxton can't finish up the 9th inning today and let Chapman take a rest is more silliness.

It might not matter tomorrow, but why burn all of our guys on a 3 run lead? Marshall can't toss but an inning as well?

16. Likes:

ervinsm84 (04-07-2013)

I guess I don't have an issue with one of them being used today if the plan is to rest tomorrow. But to use both of them seems like a bit much. Broxton "will close when Chapman can't go", except when both aren't available because you needed to protect a 3-run lead the day before.

Yep. I understood using Broxton to get through the heart of the lineup. But using Chapman to get 7-8-9 with a 3 run lead... I wonder if there are any other examples of a stupid, contrived statistic dictating player usage in any other sport.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-08-2013),757690 (04-07-2013),AtomicDumpling (04-08-2013),BoxingRed (04-08-2013),ervinsm84 (04-07-2013),OGB (04-08-2013),Raisor (04-08-2013),Steve4192 (04-08-2013)

You think our bullpen was going to give up 3 or more runs in 2 innings? Possible, sure. Likely? Not so much.
    That's easy to say after the fact. If Lecure comes in and gives it up, people gripe the other way. We won. Tomorrow, at this point is an unknown.

Like most managers, Baker is lazy when it comes to his bullpen. Every pitcher has a well defined role, established at the beginning of the season, and that determines when they pitch.

The downside is times like these when guys are used when it's not necessary, and are then unavailable the nest day. The upside is every pitcher knows their role, knows when they are going to pitch, making it easier for them to excell in their role.

I don't like it, think it's Baker's biggest weakness, but to be honest, there aren't that many managers who so it differently.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Like most managers, Baker is lazy when it comes to his bullpen. Every pitcher has a well defined role, established at the beginning of the season, and that determines when they pitch.

The downside is times like these when guys are used when it's not necessary, and are then unavailable the nest day. The upside is every pitcher knows their role, knows when they are going to pitch, making it easier for them to excell in their role.

I don't like it, think it's Baker's biggest weakness, but to be honest, there aren't that many managers who so it differently.
    I don't think Dusty always makes the right moves, but having well-defined roles may do more than just make it easy for Dusty when faced with decisions. It may make the pitchers more comfortable knowing in what situations they may want to start walking around or stretching.

I'm not disagreeing with you really, because if I ran the bullpen it would be a bit different, but I don't think the method has no positives.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

23. Likes:

Screwball (04-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?