Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day

This appears to be a complete toss up between Jesse Winker who was 1-2 with a HR, 2BB, 2 runs, and 2RBI and Donald Lutz who was 2-4 with a walk, HR, and 2RBI. Co-MiLPotD maybe?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Also thought it was worth noting that Saturday's winner, Devin Lohman, already committed his sixth error of the year on Sunday. The key to making it as a big league bench player now a days is to be at a bare minimum average at a couple defensive positions.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Co-MiLPotD maybe?
    I say no. Make the call! (Then people can debate.)

Sunday, 4-21: Donald Lutz, Pensacola. Credentials are compromised a bit when the affiliates go winless on the day. Lutz, 2-4 with a HR, gets the nod because the homer was his fifth of the season, tying him for the Southern League lead (with 13 fewer at-bats than the other guy).

Also lightly notable . . .

Chris Berset, Bakersfield: 2-5, HR, 2B
    Jesse Winker, Dayton: 1-2, HR, 2 BB
    Michael Gilmartin, Bakersfield: 2-4, two 2B
    Yohan Pino, Louisville: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3K
    Mark Prior, Louisville: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K

Candidates as I see it.

Louisville - Greg Reynolds - 6.1 IP 6H 2 ER 0 BB 2K. He also broke up the perfecto with a single with two outs in the sixth. He scored the first run of the game for the Bats. And later added a walk. Had only allowed one earned run and was in line for the win until Bullpenis Collapsis.

Pensacola - Another starting pitcher shone last night. Josh Smith was in beast mode.
    7 IP 2 H 0 ER O BB 7 K. It has been a Jekyll and Hyde season for Smith so far. First two starts - 11 ER in 5.2 IP. Last two starts 2 ER in 12.0 IP. He has a consecutive scoreless streak of 11 innings now.

Dayton - Jesse Winker reached base on all four plate appearances last night. He had two singles, a double and a walk, which helped produce one run scored and two driven in. He has been on fire lately. He currently has a season-high, six-game hitting streak. In his last four contests, he has gone 9-13 along with 3 walks. He has scored five times and driven home five runners during that four-game stretch. The precocious 19-year old, on the season, is now OPSing a solid .813.

Tough call, IMO.

Monday, 4-22: Josh Smith, Pensacola . . . 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K. Smith had been disappointing so far this season, but last night combined with Chris Manno and Curtis Partch for a nifty 3-hit shutout.

Also notable . . .

If we had a Player of the Week, I suspect (without studying it) it would be Jesse Winker, whose tear continued last night for Dayton: 3-3, 2B, BB. After a slow start, he's looking very much like the real deal. Even hitting cleanup for the Dragons as a 19-year-old playing with a bunch of college veterans.

Ray Chang, Pensacola: 2-4, 2 doubles.

Wes Mugarian, Dayton: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K.

Greg Reynolds, Louisville: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.

Smith wins it, I agree, but I otherwise go Winker over Reynolds. I think for this meaningless award I am biased in favor if players who are actually prospects still. Funny though, I don't think Smith even made our top 50 this year.
    -RichRed

Tuesday, 4-23: Tim Crabbe, Pensacola. Soft-Shell wins it for the second time in his last three starts . . . 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K. If he can blend that kind of consistency with his good stuff, Crabbe walks right up the ladder.

Also notable:

Pedro Villarreal, Louisville, had a nearly identical line as Crabbe, with one less inning: 6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K. Both starters left with their team tied 1-1. Louisville won in the ninth, Pensacola lost in twelve.

Felix Perez, Louisville: 1-2, 2B, BB. The Cuban outfielder is building a very nice body of work.

Jumbo Diaz, Louisville: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K. Diaz's late relief enabled the Bats' bottom-of-ninth rally, keyed by Konrad Schmidt's game-winning single.

Henry Rodriguez, Louisville: Rodriguez went 3-4 and started the Bats' winning rally.

Sean Lucas, Dayton: The lefty earned a tough 4-out save: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.

Hey Guys. I'm pretty indisposed today. (My wife is typing this.) Anybody want to go ahead and make the pick for today? Thanks.

Wednesday, 4-24:Marquez Smith, Bakersfield.

Chad "Sharky" Rogers and Drew Cisco both had solid starts on Wednesday but I am going with the new kid on the block. Recently picked up after being let go by the Texas Rangers, in just his second start, Smith rapped out three hits, including a triple and a home run. Included among them was a triple and a home run. He scored twice and drove in a pair.

Thursday, 4-24:Beau Amaral, Dayton.

Three solid starting pitching performances. Reineke, Dennick and Romano.
    Hitting stars included: LaMarre, Silverio, Amaral, Vincej, Arias and Ramirez.

I believe it comes down to either:

Chad Reineke - 7IP 5H 0R 0ER 2BB 4K OHR. Nothing wrong with picking Reineke.
    Beau Amaral - 3 for 5, HR, 3RS, 2RBI. But I gave the nod to Amaral. Being involved in the scoring of four runs in a game stands out to me.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-26-2013 at 11:30 AM.

I noticed no updates last night (4-26-13) and it was a bad day for the entire organization. Pickings are slim. Here are my candidates:

David Vidal - 2 for 2 with 2 BB.
    Jesse Winker - 1 for 2 with 2 BB.
    Armando Galarraga - 5 IP, 3H, 1BB, 5K, 0 Runs.

My pick? David Vidal.

Hoping for a better day on Saturday.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-27-2013 at 07:10 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I noticed no updates last night (4-26-13) and it was a bad day for the entire organization. Pickings are slim. Here are my candidates:

David Vidal - 2 for 2 with 2 BB.
    Jesse Winker - 1 for 2 with 2 BB.
    Armando Galarraga - 5 IP, 3H, 1BB, 5K, 0 Runs.

My pick? David Vidal.

Hoping for a better day on Saturday.
    Thanks, mth. Let's call that official, sad as it is.

I busted my hip and haven't made it home yet from surgery, and texasdave works extra-long hours on the weekends, so the stepping up is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Thanks, mth. Let's call that official, sad as it is.

I busted my hip and haven't made it home yet from surgery, and texasdave works extra-long hours on the weekends, so the stepping up is appreciated.
    Ouch.

I remeber you saying your availabilty was limited and when I saw no updates for Friday, I figured something was up.

Get well soon.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Friday, 4-26:David Vidal, Pensacola.

I just got home and had a chance to look at Friday's games. Slim pickings, indeed.

Turn Off Ads?