Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day

nm
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-17-2013 at 02:51 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks, td. I couldn't get to a computer last night, so the summary helps a lot. I'll go ahead and make the selection, but you or any regular is certainly welcome to do it anytime if so inclined. The only thing I ask is that you start it with the day and date and put the guy's name in boldface, so that it's easy to pick out when going back to review the selections.

(td -- I've been trying to message you with the above and a little more, but keep getting an Internal Server Error, or some such notice.)

Edit: Got your message, td, but I couldn't answer it. If you care to, send me another with your email address. Although it's really nothing important.
    Last edited by mace; 04-17-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Tuesday, 4-16: Junior Arias, Dayton. Arias, who started out as a SS, has been moved from 3B--where, according to all reports, he looked pretty terrible--to center field. Hopefully, this is a new start for a guy once considered a compelling prospect. I haven't heard any negatives yet about his defense, and last night's batting line was encouraging: 2-4, 2 R, 2 RBI, HR. More than anything, this selection is made to announce that Arias might once again be on the radar.

I was also tempted by Lutz, whose fourth HR puts him atop the Southern League charts; by Pino, whose season line reads like a Cingrani Lite, except that he's 29; and by Josef Terry, who had more hits last night than the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Tuesday, 4-16: Junior Arias, Dayton. Arias, who started out as a SS, has been moved from 3B--where, according to all reports, he looked pretty terrible--to center field. Hopefully, this is a new start for a guy once considered a compelling prospect. I haven't heard any negatives yet about his defense, and last night's batting line was encouraging: 2-4, 2 R, 2 RBI, HR. More than anything, this selection is made to announce that Arias might once again be on the radar.

I was also tempted by Lutz, whose fourth HR puts him atop the Southern League charts; by Pino, whose season line reads like a Cingrani Lite, except that he's 29; and by Josef Terry, who had more hits last night than the Reds.
    I was listening to the Dayton broadcast for awhile. Arias let a ground single get by him for an error. And broke the wrong way once. It will take time I am sure. His home run was monstrous per the broadcaster.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Wednesday, 4-17: James Allen, Bakersfield. This might have been a closer call, except that 1) Felix Perez, Louisville (3-4, HR, 4 RBI) and Ryan Wright, Bakersfield (3-4, HR, 3 RBI) cancelled each other out, 2) you get extra points for contributing to a rare Bakersfield victory, and 3) you get double extra points for pitching shutout ball in the California League. Allen had been struggling badly, and he needed this line: 6.2 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K.

Jose Arredondo also impressed: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 5 K. And Brent Peterson, going 3-4, is now batting .550 for a woeful Dayton offense that can't seem to find room for him in the lineup.

Reds bullpen has been so-so. Arredondo made a statement in that game yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jose back soon, particularly if he avoids walks at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds bullpen has been so-so. Arredondo made a statement in that game yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jose back soon, particularly if he avoids walks at AAA.
    IMO, he should have never been sent down. But we have already rehashed that pretty thoroughly.

Thursday, 4-18: Drew Cisco, Dayton. In the toughest day of competition this year--the farms all won--Cisco prevails because, well, here at Redszone we do love our peripherals. Note the walks and strikeouts: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 12 K. The walk number is what we've come to expect from Cisco, but the strikeouts: holy cow! It's the second selection for The Kid, who was chosen after his first start on 4-6.

Peripherals aside, Sharky Rogers probably had a better start in Pensacola's victory: 6.2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K. When he won the award in his last outing, Rogers, in fact, also allowed two hits and one run. He is becoming one consistent surfing dude.

Other notable pitching performances:

Jake Johnson, once one of my top-rated pitchers in the organization, got his first start of the year for Bakersfield and acquitted himself nicely: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K.

Wes Mugarian: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K. Alejandro Chacin: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. Both were in relief of Cisco.

The three-hit club:

Neftali Soto: 3-4.
    Donald Lutz: 3-5, with a 2B and 3B in the same inning!
    Bryson Smith: 3-4, 2B. (Becoming one of those "all he does is hit" guys.)
    Juan Perez: 3-5
    Zach Vincej: 3-5, 2B, 3B.
    Jeff Gelalich: 3-4

Also:

Felix Perez with a 10th-inning walkoff HR for Louisville.
    Tucker Barnhart: 2-2, BB, SF, 3 RBI.

More of this, please.
    Last edited by mace; 04-19-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Friday 4/19 Slim Pickens edition

Yorman Rodriguez is your winner going 4-5 with 2RBI and 2 doubles.

Runners up are Jaun Silverio 3-4 and an RBI, Jesse Winker 3-4 and Dominic D'Anna 2-4 with a HR and 3RBI

Worth mentioning is Tanner Robles 9Ks through 4, but he walked 5, gave up 5 hits, and 5ER.

Gelalich, Waldrop, and Duran all with 2 hits, one of Juan's was his first HR.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Friday, 4-19: Yorman Rodriguez, Bakersfield.

You won't get any argument from me. It was nice to see Jesse Winker rap out three hits to get over the Mendoza Line.

Thanks, OGB and tex. (OGB, it's nice to have the actual pick of the day in boldface. That's so, when we go back over the thread to compile the winners for the month or just to review, the MiLPOD jumps out readily. The boldface kind of makes it official. Thanks.)

Anyway, good to get Yorman on the list. Question: Given the same number of walks, would you rather Yorman hit .325 or 25 home runs? I'll take the .325. Seems to me that when good athletes make good contact, good things happen.

Question: Given the same number of walks, would you rather Yorman hit .325 or 25 home runs?
    Kind of a tough one. Yorman has a lot of power, but he hasn't translated it consistently into games. He's already had a very big average year (in Billings), but no breakout on the power front. Still, in this scenario there's no guarantee he doesn't tank in the unselected category (that is, he might hit 25 HRs but also hit .218). So I'll take the .325.

three two five. He is just 20. The power should come.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Thanks, OGB and tex. (OGB, it's nice to have the actual pick of the day in boldface. That's so, when we go back over the thread to compile the winners for the month or just to review, the MiLPOD jumps out readily. The boldface kind of makes it official. Thanks.)

Anyway, good to get Yorman on the list. Question: Given the same number of walks, would you rather Yorman hit .325 or 25 home runs? I'll take the .325. Seems to me that when good athletes make good contact, good things happen.
    I'll take the avg, and secondary to that I'll take a decrease in strike outs. Those are the two things thatll help get him to the bigs the fastest.

As excited as I was about the Reds prospects coming into the year, its quickly occurred to me that I really only care about seeing a handful of players bust out, and Yorman is one of them. On a whole, the farm system still has two to three years to bear fruit. Choo and Arroyo are the only guys we'll really have to worry about replacing over the next two years.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Saturday, 4-20: Devin Lohman, Pensacola. Playing SS for the Wahoos, Lohman drove in all four runs in a 4-3, 11-inning victory. Impressively, he did it in three swipes, and in very different ways--a bases-loaded walk, a 2-run HR, and a ground out in extras that brought in the winning run. He was 2-4.

Also notable . . .

Chad Reineke: 5.2 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K.

Felix Perez: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI. Perez has lately been very timely and productive for the Bats.

Junior Arias: 2-4, HR. He's putting himself back in the prospect picture.

Tony Amezcua (in relief of Stephenson): 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K.

Turn Off Ads?