Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day

Has there been much positive in the Reds organization ...at all this week?

These slow starts drive me crazy but it is a long season..I know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Has there been much positive in the Reds organization ...at all this week?

These slow starts drive me crazy but it is a long season..I know.
    It is discouraging. We all know that the farms are almost entirely about development, not winning, but for those of us who have an interest, that interest is harder to maintain when you call up the boxes every night and it's lose, lose, lose. Sheesh. And of course, the losing runs parallel with weak production.

That said, there have been distinct bright spots this year, especially in the young pitchers like Drew Cisco and Sal Romano. Rogers has been sharp. Crabbe has been encouraging. Tucker Barnhart has played well. Bryson Smith continues to hit. Yorman has pleased. And don't forget that Cingrani has already been mined and may be back. All in all, though, the performances have been pretty dispiriting. Obviously it's extremely early. So there's that.

Bakersfield is still playing, but the early line on Saturday 4-27:

Neftali Soto 3 for 4 with a HR.
    Jesse Winker 3 for 4 with a double
    Jon Moscot 5 and a third IP, 2 Hits, 3 Walks, 7 Ks, no Runs.
    Greg Reynolds, 7 IP, 6 Hits, 1 Walk, 8 Ks, 2 Runs.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-28-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Whether or not he wins, good to see Moscot do well. Guy skipped a level, needs some time, but good outing tonight. And he pitched well against a team that is 14-8. I'd vote for Moscot for all these reasons.

And Winker is up to .292, 19 year old playing at Dayton. Good for him.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-28-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Sudden jump up in K's for Reynolds. Something good going on there? Anybody seen him?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Had only allowed one earned run and was in line for the win until Bullpenis Collapsis.
    Hey, this is a family board, pal.

8. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-07-2013)

I busted my hip and haven't made it home yet from surgery
    Bummer. Hope you're doing better, mace. We need you here.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-30-2013),HokieRed (04-28-2013)

Saturday, 4-27: Jon Moscot, Bakersfield . . . 5.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 7 K. Soto made a great case, breaking through with his first HR of what should be many this year, but Moscot's might be an important performance. As kc pointed out, he needed it to justify skipping a level. Hopefully this demonstrates that he has caught up and is ready to flaunt the polish we've heard so much about. It would be nice to add him to that small community of starting pitchers who have been so impressive this month.

Sudden jump up in K's for Reynolds. Something good going on there? Anybody seen him?
    I watched a couple innings on milb.tv last night. He looked good with a mix of fastball, slider and curve, I think. He's very tall (6'7") and while I was watching he had very good command of fastball down in the zone, so it looked nice and heavy. Question is the velocity -- announcers didn't mention it. Curve looked to have good break, slider seemingly usable. I'm encouraged. Thing to remember about Reynolds is that he was really rushed by Colorado, after being the 2nd overall pick in the country, and then got hammered and hurt. There's been real talent there, and it looks like he can still pitch a little. Not sure who'd be the next callup if they need another starter -- but he's probably now in the conversation along with Galarraga.

Thanks for the report, Lollipopcurve. I liked this pickup and I've been watching his K's in particular. He's never been very strong in that department but seemed really down in his first starts this year: 7 in the first 22 innings. Now 8 in one game. Small sample size obviously, but a good sign, bears watching.

Sunday, 4-28: Juan Perez, Bakersfield. Batting leadoff and playing shortstop, Perez continued his hot hitting and paced a rare Blaze blowout by going 4-5. He's now up to .298.

Juan Silva was 2-4 for the Blaze with a HR.

For Louisville, Mike Hessman (two doubles) and Henry Rodriguez went 3-4.

4/29/2013, give me Jesse Winker. His 2 run bomb in the second inning would have cleared First Street on the fly but it hit the top of the netting. He is hitting near .500 for the last 12 games.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    4/29/2013, give me Jesse Winker. His 2 run bomb in the second inning would have cleared First Street on the fly but it hit the top of the netting. He is hitting near .500 for the last 12 games.
    Gotta be Soto. 4 for 4 with a double and a homer. I like Winker too. Nice to have more than one guy deserving.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Monday, 4-29: Neftali Soto, Louisville. Nice of him to break the dead heat between the Pensacola starters, Josh Smith and Tim Crabbe. Soto homered for the second straight night while going 4-4 with a 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI in the Bats' 6-2 victory. He's up to .313, and he's been playing third base, which I suppose is a bit interesting.

Also notable:

Josh Smith, Pensacola: Second straight scoreless start after a rough beginning of the season. 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K.

Tim Crabbe, Pensacola: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. Crabbe has had one bad (very bad) start. In the four others, he has pitched at least five innings and allowed no more than one run.

Devin Lohman, Pensacola: 3-6 in the twinbill, with two 2B.

Daniel Corcino, Louisville (mostly because it represents a significant turnaround): 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K.

The continuation of Jesse Winker's roll (long HR) is duly noted.

Tuesday, 4-30: Kris Negron, Louisville . . . 2-4 with a double and game-turning grand slam in the Bats' 9-5 victory.

Also notable:

Felix Perez (OF, Louisville): 2-3, 2 doubles, 3 RBI.

Jose Arredondo (RP, Louisville): 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K. The length of the appearance may bear some significance.

Juan Perez (SS, leadoff man, Bakersfield) is one of the hottest hitters in the organization and possibly one of the best. Last night: 2-3 with a 2B and 2 BB. It brings his rapidly climbing average up to .310.

Alejandro Chacin (RP, Dayton): 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.

Turn Off Ads?