Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Minor-League Player of the Day

I can't guarantee that I'll keep up with this every day, but I won't claim proprietary rights. Anybody can step in. I just thought it would be a nice record if we kept a running log of the Reds' minor-league player of the day.

Here's how it would go so far:

Thursday 4-4 (Opening Day): Tony Cingrani, Louisville. In his first AAA appearance, Cingrani was mind-boggling. He struck out the first seven batters he faced, was perfect through five and finished with a line of 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 14 K.

Friday 4-5: Mike Hessman, Louisville. The big basher, a veteran picked up in the offseason, banged two home runs for the second game in a row. Nice start.

Saturday 4-6: Drew Cisco, Dayton. Making his full-season debut, the polished right-hander went 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 8 K.
    Last edited by mace; 04-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.

2. Likes:

Benihana (04-07-2013),Cooper (04-08-2013),Ga_Red (04-07-2013),mth123 (04-07-2013),texasdave (04-08-2013)

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day

Sunday 4-7: Sal Romano, Dayton. In his first appearance for the Dragons, the 6-foot-5, 19-year-old righty was extremely impressive . . . 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K.
    Last edited by mace; 04-08-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Sal Romano is a righty. However, love the thread idea and hopefully it stays active all year.

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    Sal Romano is a righty. However, love the thread idea and hopefully it stays active all year.
    Thanks, ochoa and camis. Good catch. I changed it, for the record.

6. Likes:

camisadelgolf (04-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I can't guarantee that I'll keep up with this every day, but I won't claim proprietary rights. Anybody can step in. I just thought it would be a nice record if we kept a running log of the Reds' minor-league player of the day.

Here's how it would go so far:

Thursday 4-4 (Opening Day): Tony Cingrani, Louisville. In his first AAA appearance, Cingrani was mind-boggling. He struck out the first seven batters he faced, was perfect through five and finished with a line of 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 14 K.

Friday 4-5: Mike Hessman, Louisville. The big basher, a veteran picked up in the offseason, banged two home runs for the second game in a row. Nice start.

Saturday 4-6: Drew Cisco, Dayton. Making his full-season debut, the polished right-hander went 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 8 K.
    I love seeing these pitching prospects lighting it up early.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Sunday 4-7: Sal Romano. In his first appearance for Dayton, the 6-foot-5, 19-year-old lefty was extremely impressive . . . 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K.
    Romano is a left-handed hitter, but he throws right-handed.

cool idea

Brent Peterson agitating for recognition too. Looks like they're grooming him as a utility guy.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    cool idea

Brent Peterson agitating for recognition too. Looks like they're grooming him as a utility guy.
    Yeah, I was surprised that Peterson didn't start the first couple games. I suspect that if he continues to hit in the .800s, playing time won't be quite as difficult to come by.

Monday, 4-8: Daniel Renken, Pensacola. Renken, who struggled mightily last year in Bakersfield, enjoyed his transition into AA. The 23-year-old righty worked seven strong innings in front of a yahooing Blue Wahoos crowd of 4,328: 4 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 5 K. He gave up a first-inning run and fired zeroes the rest the way, surrendering only two hits over his final six rounds. Relief help from Logan Ondrusek and Lee Hyde preserved Renken's well-earned 2-1 win.

This was the first really close call of the season for MiLPOD. Unfortunately, there was no cigar for Billy Hamilton, whose 4-5, 3-SB performance was pretty much a day at the office. The tiebreaker was Pensacola winning.

This was the first really close call of the season for MiLPOD. Unfortunately, there was no cigar for Billy Hamilton, whose 4-5, 3-SB performance was pretty much a day at the office. The tiebreaker was Pensacola winning.
    Bad call.

4 - 5 plus 3 SB much more effective day than Renken's. On Bill James' Game Score chart, Renken garners a 65. Good, not great. Decent. For comparison's sake, there were five pitchers who put up those numbers or better yesterday in the major leagues. (Out of 60.) Hamilton's four hits would have tied for the most in the majors with Justin Upton and Jay Bruce. (Out of 270.) Add the three SBs, and Hamilton's game is clearly better.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Bad call.

4 - 5 plus 3 SB much more effective day than Renken's. On Bill James' Game Score chart, Renken garners a 65. Good, not great. Decent. For comparison's sake, there were five pitchers who put up those numbers or better yesterday in the major leagues. (Out of 60.) Hamilton's four hits would have tied for the most in the majors with Justin Upton and Jay Bruce. (Out of 270.) Add the three SBs, and Hamilton's game is clearly better.
    Hamilton should have been 3-5. I still can't believe they gave him a hit on that bunt.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hamilton should have been 3-5. I still can't believe they gave him a hit on that bunt.
    Yea that was pretty bad. He would have been out by a couple steps had it been a good throw. But I guess thats what Hamiltons presence does. Makes the defender hurry his throw

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Yea that was pretty bad. He would have been out by a couple steps had it been a good throw. But I guess thats what Hamiltons presence does. Makes the defender hurry his throw
    Yeah. I have no doubt that Hamilton caused the error, but if that throw was online, Hamilton was out without a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Bad call.

You're probably right. I just figured we'll be seeing a lot of Hamilton on this log, and the evening was probably a lot more meaningful for Renken, who was making his debut at a higher level. I think it's relevant to consider that sort of thing. Plus, Renken was the dominant figure in his game. But yeah, on a pure statistical level, Hamilton's game might have been more exceptional.

Tuesday, 4-9: Tony Cingrani, Louisville. Well, it seems like the top of the rotation is set for MiLPOD. Cingrani's second start wasn't quite as scintillating as his first, but his line (in the Bats' 4-0 victory) will certainly do nicely: 6.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. He threw 102 pitches, 62 strikes. Haven't seen a report on his breaking ball, which seemed improved in the opener, but his fastball was clocked as high as 97--which is unusually fast for him (and may be inflated by 2-3 MPH). For his two starts, Cingrani is now: 12.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 21 K. I, for one, am not unhappy with that.

A shout-out also for Robert Stephenson. His start for Dayton: 5 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K.

Turn Off Ads?