Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day

Dennick's numbers, along with the strong seasons so far from other starters, sent me to check out the ERA leaders among farmhands who have thrown at least 33 innings (just seemed like the proper cutoff). Of course, this precludes Cingrani's 0.00:

Chad Rogers (51.1) . . 1.93
    Armando Galarraga (44) . . . 2.66
    Ryan Dennick (51) . . . 2.82
    Greg Reynolds (56.1) . . . 2.88
    Tim Crabbe (50) . . . 2.88
    Carlos Contreras (47.0) . . . 3.23*
    Drew Cisco (55.2) . . . 3.40
    Josh Smith (46.2) . . . 3.66
    Sal Romano (41.1) . . . 3.70
    Chad Reineke (48.2) . . . 3.88
    Robert Stephenson (47) . . . 4.02

* Contreras is pitching in Bakersfield. You get extra credit for that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Phipps quietly hot in Louisville. May ultimately be the best choice for a RH OF bench bat, over Heisey.
    Agree. It's worth noting, though, that Felix Perez actually has a .918 against left handers. And with very good numbers against both right and left handers, he seems maybe a better choice for the ml roster than Robinson (or Heisey).

4. Likes:

lollipopcurve (05-26-2013)

Saturday, May 25: Junior Arias, Dayton. This one could have gone in any of several directions, but Arias has lately built up a critical mass of noise. Last night, he joined a couple rallies in Dayton's 5-1 victory: 3-4, 2 SB, 2 R, RBI. His stolen-base total is now at 23--only two behind Hamilton. Who knew? Any reports on how he's doing in his conversion to center field?

In a bad night for the system (Dayton was the only winner,), it was a pretty good night for starting pitchers. Also notable . . .

Robert Stephenson: 6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K. Stephenson's roll continues. His ERA is down to 3.74.

Michael Dennhardt: In only his second start of the season for Bakersfield, the 2011 draft choice (round 32) went 5 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K. His ERA stands at 2.81.

Daniel Renken: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K.

Jesse Winker: 2-2, 3B, 2 BB.

Mike Hessman: 2-4, HR #10.

Billy Hamilton: 3-5. Up to .250.
    Last edited by mace; 05-26-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Dennick's numbers, along with the strong seasons so far from other starters, sent me to check out the ERA leaders among farmhands who have thrown at least 33 innings (just seemed like the proper cutoff). Of course, this precludes Cingrani's 0.00:

Chad Rogers (51.1) . . 1.93
    Armando Galarraga (44) . . . 2.66
    Ryan Dennick (51) . . . 2.82
    Greg Reynolds (56.1) . . . 2.88
    Tim Crabbe (50) . . . 2.88
    Carlos Contreras (47.0) . . . 3.23*
    Drew Cisco (55.2) . . . 3.40
    Josh Smith (46.2) . . . 3.66
    Sal Romano (41.1) . . . 3.70
    Chad Reineke (48.2) . . . 3.88
    Robert Stephenson (47) . . . 4.02

* Contreras is pitching in Bakersfield. You get extra credit for that.
    Stephenson's six strong last night put him at 3.74.

Also, Michael Dennhardt got his second start of the season, and his five innings leave him with 32 for the season. His ERA is 2.81.

Sunday, May 26: Alejandro Chacin, Dayton. In a generally pathetic day for the farmers, we'll give it to Chacin on a novelty. After two scoreless innings of relief in the Dragons' 12-inning victory over Great Lakes, Chacin has now thrown a virtual no-hitter. Over his last six games: 9.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 13 K.

Also . . .

Ben Klimesh got the win for Dayton with this: 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.

Ismael Guillon walked three in the first inning--same old story--but then showed some signs of settling down: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 5 BB, 5 K.

Denis Phipps: 2-3, BB.

Ryan Wright: 2-3, BB.

Bryson Smith: 2-4, 2B, BB.

8. Likes:

powersackers (05-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Sunday, May 26: Alejandro Chacin, Dayton. In a generally pathetic day for the farmers, we'll give it to Chacin on a novelty. After two scoreless innings of relief in the Dragons' 12-inning victory over Great Lakes, Chacin has now thrown a virtual no-hitter. Over his last six games: 9.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 13 K.

Also . . .

Ben Klimesh got the win for Dayton with this: 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.

Ismael Guillon walked three in the first inning--same old story--but then showed some signs of settling down: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 5 BB, 5 K.

Denis Phipps: 2-3, BB.

Ryan Wright: 2-3, BB.

Bryson Smith: 2-4, 2B, BB.
    Think I'd have gone with Klimesh. Bryson Smith would be my second choice. Guillon wouldn't be in the picture with 5 walks in 5 innings.

I love this thread and look forward to the summary of top performers each day. Great idea Mace.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Kc61 (05-26-2013)

we'll give it to Chacin on a novelty. After two scoreless innings of relief in the Dragons' 12-inning victory over Great Lakes, Chacin has now thrown a virtual no-hitter. Over his last six games: 9.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 13 K.
    Great call.

There should be no lack of offensive candidates for this award today. The bats were hammering out the base hits yesterday.

Corky Miller deserves at least an honorable mention for his relief work.

Monday, May 27: Josh Fellhauer, Louisville. The platoon outfielder outslugged a lusty Memorial Day field, going 3-5, HR, 2B, 2 BB, 4 RBI. After a wretched 1-20 start, the lefty swinger has pulled his OPS up to just under .700. For May, it's .852.

Also notable . . .

Juan Perez: 2-5, HR, 2B, SB, BB, 3 RBI. Given the usual state of the organizational offense, that would have won it on most days.

Ryan Wright: 4-8, 2B, 2 RBI.

And the 3-hit club in Bakersfield's 14-inning, 21-hit, 11-9 victory: Dominic D'Anna, Yovan Gonzalez, and Juan Silverio.

There was a trace of pitching in that game, as well, notably from Kyle Lotzkar, who finished out the final three innings in the fashion that once made him a top prospect: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.

Jeff Gelalich: 3-5, 2B, 2 R.

Seth Mejias-Brean: 2-4, 2B, BB.

Pedro Diaz: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K.

Felix Perez: 2-6, HR.

Billy Hamilton: 1-3, 4 BB, SB, 3 R.

And of course, that burly-armed phenom, Corky Miller: 2/3 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K.
    Last edited by mace; 05-28-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    Corky Miller deserves at least an honorable mention for his relief work.
    There was never a doubt.

Lifting this from texasdave and the Monday game thread:

If there was a MiPOTW award it would have to go to Ryan Wright. In his last eight games he has posted this line. Joey Votto would be envious. .441/.513/.853/1.366.

Billy Hamilton is on fire as well. Last nine games. .351/.467/.405/.872.

Junior Arias has been stealing bases at will lately. His last nine games. .389/.405/.528/.933. 11 stolen bases. Like to see some walks mixed in.

Tuesday, May 28: Sharky Rogers, Pensacola. Hardly a start goes by that Rogers doesn't put himself in position for this. Last night: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K. Somehow, Sharky continues to dominate without dominating, if you catch my drift. His ERA now stands at 1.73. For a reference point, I checked out Travis Wood's brilliant 2009 season. Pitching for Carolina in the Southern League, he had a 1.21 ERA over 119 innings (with a better WHIP than Rogers) before he was promoted to Louisville. Rogers has only thrown 57 innings, and he has vastly less experience as a starter. Like Wood, Rogers is doing this at 22. . . . Sharky also doubled, the Wahoos' only extra-base hit.

Edit correction: Rogers is 23. Thanks, kc.

Also notable . . .

Brandon Dailey: The former SS-2B, up from extended spring training, made his debut as a catcher. Receiving Drew Cisco for Dayton, he committed no miscues and permitted just one stolen base. He was also 2-4 with a pair of doubles. Very nice.

Tony Cingrani: Giving up a third-inning run, Cingrani's ERA soared to 0.37. Walking 5, with 9 K, he threw 111 pitches in five innings. Guess that slider/curve is just missing.

Ryan Wright: With a 3-4 evening, including two doubles, Wright now has a 9-game run of .474/.535/.895/1.430. Yikes.

Alejandro Chacin: Going one strong frame, the teenager (he loses that distinction next month) extended his virtual no-hitter to 10.2 innings.

Mike Hessman: 2-4, system-leading 12th HR.

Junior Arias: 2-4, system-leading 28th stolen base (Hamilton, 27).

Joe Terry: 3-5, HR.

Jeff Gelalich: 3-5, 0 HR.

Juan Silverio: 3-4.

Drew Cisco: 6 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K. (Unfortunately, his Dayton bullpen allowed 8 runs over the next two innings.)

Jon Moscot: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K. Looking good lately,
    Last edited by mace; 05-29-2013 at 12:29 PM.

I would have voted for Joe Terry last night. But Mace is more knowledgeable about these guys and I defer to his judgment. These are very fine reports.

Rogers is actually 23, will turn 24 in August. So presumably he will pitch as a 24 year old at AAA next season, which is young and will give him ample time to refine his pitching at that level.

Travis Wood was at Louisville at age 22. Overall, Wood had an 8.4 strike out rate in the minors. So far, Rogers has a 7.6 K rate in the minors although it's been less at both A+ and AA. Wood's K rate improved a lot at AAA. Hopefully, Rogers' will too.

I"ve also heard Rogers compared with Lecure, maybe on some RedsZone threads. Sam had a 7.9 K rate in the minors, he started AA at age 23 and pitched several years in the high minors.

I tend to focus on K rate for pitchers like these guys, non-overpowering types, because they have to miss a reasonable level of bats to succeed. If the K rate falls below 6.5 or so in the minors, I get nervous.

Anyway, if Rogers keeps this up I'd expect him to see AAA after the All-Star break. He's got AA under his control, no pun.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-29-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I would have voted for Joe Terry last night. But Mace is more knowledgeable about these guys and I defer to his judgment. These are very fine reports.

Rogers is actually 23, will turn 24 in August. So presumably he will pitch as a 24 year old at AAA next season, which is young and will give him ample time to refine his pitching at that level.

Travis Wood was at Louisville at age 22. Overall, Wood had an 8.4 strike out rate in the minors. So far, Rogers has a 7.6 K rate in the minors although it's been less at both A+ and AA. Wood's K rate improved a lot at AAA. Hopefully, Rogers' will too.

I"ve also heard Rogers compared with Lecure, maybe on some RedsZone threads. Sam had a 7.9 K rate in the minors, he started AA at age 23 and pitched several years in the high minors.

I tend to focus on K rate for pitchers like these guys, non-overpowering types, because they have to miss a reasonable level of bats to succeed. If the K rate falls below 6.5 or so in the minors, I get nervous.

Anyway, if Rogers keeps this up I'd expect him to see AAA after the All-Star break. He's got AA under his control, no pun.
    Nah, I'm not knowledgeable. I've hardly seen any of these guys. I just look 'em up when the occasion calls for it. And sometimes do a poor job of that, as in Rogers' case this morning. But thanks . . .

And while the Reds' rotation is in fine shape, I'm missing Travis Wood. Always liked that guy.

LeCure might prove to be an excellent comp for Rogers. That would work.

Turn Off Ads?