Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think Ryan Dennick should get the nod over Stephenson. Yeah, he gave up a run, but he also tripled and scored in his game.
    Do you think he has a chance of ever helping us?

His K rate has gone down since becoming a starter, but he has seemed to have had a good year otherwise.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think Ryan Dennick should get the nod over Stephenson. Yeah, he gave up a run, but he also tripled and scored in his game.
    I was going to mention that triple but forgot. (In a hurry this morning to post before I had to leave for church.)

The subject of Dennick, however, brings to mind a topic I've been meaning to raise on another thread -- giving relievers a chance to start. The Reds have had some success doing that.

Sunday, June 9: Juan Duran, Bakersfield . . . 3-3, 2B, BB, R. Nice to see the big guy making some contact and drawing a walk.

Also notable . . .

Greg Reynolds: The former No. 2 overall pick (Rockies, 2006) ran his record to 7-0 with a 2.51 ERA . . . 8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K. Making a strong bid for the 40-man, it would seem to me.

Zach Vincej: 2-2, 2B, 2 BB, R, RBI.

Beau Amaral: 2-3, BB.

Nick Travieso: 5 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K. Last year's No. 1 gets a solid start under his belt.

Marquez Smith: 2-4, HR, 3 RBI.

Denis Phipps: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI.

Edit: Just saw on traderumors that Reynolds has an opt-out date coming up. Would hate to lose him. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...edium=facebook
    Last edited by mace; 06-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Sunday, June 9: Juan Duran, Bakersfield . . . 3-3, 2B, BB, R. Nice to see the big guy making some contact and drawing a walk.

Also notable . . .

Greg Reynolds: The former No. 2 overall pick (Rockies, 2006) ran his record to 8-0 with a 2.51 ERA . . . 8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K. Making a strong bid for the 40-man, it would seem to me.

Zach Vincej: 2-2, 2B, 2 BB, R, RBI.

Beau Amaral: 2-3, BB.

Nick Travieso: 5 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K. Last year's No. 1 gets a solid start under his belt.

Marquez Smith: 2-4, HR, 3 RBI.

Denis Phipps: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI.

Edit: Just saw on traderumors that Reynolds has an opt-out date coming up. Would hate to lose him. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...edium=facebook
    I would think the Reds would rather promote and keep Reynolds than experiment with Partch on the big league roster. At least until some of the wounded pitchers return creating a roster logjam.

Monday, June 10: Ryan Wright, Bakersfield . . . 3-5, HR, 2B, 4 RBI. Wright's hits were three of 19 for Bakersfield, his HR one of four.

Also notable . . .

Ray Chang: 3-4, HR, 3 RBI.

Corey Wimberly: 3-5, R, RBI, SB. The Reds do like to sign those well-traveled, minor-league speedsters.

Shaun Ellis: 5.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.

Trevor Bell, former first-rounder (Angels '05), in his Reds (Pensacola) debut: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.

Yorman Rodriguez: 2-4, HR, 2B, 4 RBI.

Marquez Smith: 2-4, 2B, BB.

Steve Selsky: 2-5, HR, 3 RBI.

Chris Berset: 3-4, 2B, BB.

Kyle Waldrop: 3-5, 2 2B.

Jacob Constante, debuting for the DSL Reds: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K.

Jose Siri: 2-4, HR #3 for the DSL Reds. That's a lot, under the circumstances.

Billy Hamilton: 3-5, 2B, BI, 2 SB.

Joe Terry: 2-4, 2B.

Junior Arias: 1-4, HR, 3 RBI.

Tuesday, June 11: Chris Berset, Bakersfield . . . 3-4. It was a slow night for MiLPOD candidates, but Berset is now 6-8 over his last two games, and he's a switch-hitter, and he's a catcher who, if I'm not mistaken, plays pretty good defense.

Also notable:

Warlin Pena, DSL Rojos: 6 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 5 BB, 4 K. DSL players are at a disadvantage in MiLPOD considerations because the DSL is a bit of an enigma and these guys are just so far, far away from the big leagues. That said, Pena might have topped a weak field today had it not been for the five free passes. He's 17 and he's left-handed.

Neftali Soto: 1-4, grand slam.

Tucker Barnhart: 2-4, 2B, BB, 2 RBI.

Travis Mattair: 2-3, BB.

Trevor Bell: The newbie notched his first save for Pensacola . . . 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.

Jamie Walczak: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. It's now Walczak's third trip around the California League, and he's starting to get the hang of it. After a late start to his season, his line stands at 8 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K.

Yorman Rodriguez: 2-5, 2B.

Zach Vincej: 2-5, 2B, 3B. He's a hot shortstop at the moment.

Luis Gonzalez: OK, this is a little confusing. There's a Luis Gonzalez who pitches for the DSL Reds, a left-hander who made this list a few days ago. This one is an 18-year-old shortstop who plays for the DSL Rojos. Last night he was 2-4 with a 3B, 2 R and a SB.

Billy Hamilton did have three stolen bases yesterday, now has forty for the season. Perhaps worth an honorable mention.

9. Likes:

mace (06-12-2013)

Wednesday, June 12: Steve Selsky, Bakersfield...4-5, 2 doubles, a homer, 3 runs scored and 4 runs batted in. Mr. Selsky really takes that 'Go West, Young Man' advice to heart. After a slow start in Pensacola he has caught fire with the Blaze, OPSing over .900 since his return. He wishes they all could be California games, I suppose.

Also notable:

Yorman Rodriguez is OPSing 1.025 in the month of June so far. Last night's effort included the first three legs of the cycle. He also scored twice.

Brandon Dailey went 2-3 with a home run and a walk included. He scored a run and plated a pair.

Joe Terry, Jeff Gelalich and Seth Mejias-Brean all had two hits for the Dragons.

Plenty of hitting in the Dominican yesterday.
    Geraldo Valor 3-6, 3RS, and 2RBI.
    Miguel Mendez 3-5, a walk, 3RS and 1RBI.
    Jose de Luna 3-4, a double, 1RS and 2RBI.
    Jose Siri 2-5, a walk, 2RS and 2 RBI.
    Derik Capatillo was a strong candidate for MiPOTD. 3-6, 2 doubles, a home run, 1RS and 6RBI.
    Eury Cantalizo 5IP 6H 2E 0ER 0BB 5K.
    Adolfi Telleria 3IP 2H 0R 0ER 0BB 3K.

Pabel Manzanero 3-3.
    Gregory Reinoso 3.1IP 0H 0R 0ER 2BB 5K.
    Yerry Santos 2.1 scoreless innings in relief.

Sorry, our power's been out all day . . .

Wednesday, June 12: Steve Selsky, Bakersfield . . . 4-5, HR, 2 2B, 4 RBI, 3 R. Is Selsky making a mockery of the California League, or is the California League making a mockery of him? Suffice to say, he likes it there.

Also notable . . .

Brandon Dailey: 2-3, HR, BB, 2 RBI. Would still like to hear from anybody who knows how his switch to catcher is going. I'm guessing it's going OK, or they probably wouldn't have put him behind the plate in Dayton. If so, it seems a fairly promising development.

Jeff Gelalich: 2-3, BB.

Seth Mejias-Brean: 2-4, 2B, BB, RBI, R.

Yorman Rodriguez: 3-4, 2B, 3B, BB, 2 R. It's good to see how often he's lately making this list.

Juan Silverio: 0-3, BB, 3 RBI. Just because it's so weird.

Pabel Manzanero (DSL Rojos): 3-3.

Gregory Reinoso (Rojos): 3.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K. Nice work for a 17-year-old lefty whose ERA, after his first outing, was 162.00.

Derik Capitillo (DSL Reds): 3-6, 2 2B, HR, 6 RBI. Capitillo is an 18-year-old Venezuelan listed as a catcher, although yesterday he was the DH.

Apologetic edit: I see now that good ol' texasdave stepped into the void while I was getting my act together. Happily, we agreed on the choice.
    Last edited by mace; 06-13-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Sorry, our power's been out all day . . .

Wednesday, June 12: Steve Selsky, Bakersfield . . . 4-5, HR, 4 RBI, 3 R. Is Selsky making a mockery of the California League, or is the California League making a mockery of him? Suffice to say, he likes it there.

Also notable . . .

Brandon Dailey: 2-3, HR, BB, 2 RBI. Would still like to hear from anybody who knows how his switch to catcher is going. I'm guessing it's going OK, or they probably wouldn't have put him behind the plate in Dayton. If so, it seems a fairly promising development.

Jeff Gelalich: 2-3, BB.

Seth Mejias-Brean: 2-4, 2B, BB, RBI, R.

Yorman Rodriguez: 3-4, 2B, 3B, BB, 2 R. It's good to see how often he's lately making this list.

Juan Silverio: 0-3, BB, 3 RBI. Just because it's so weird.

Pabel Manzanero (DSL Rojos): 3-3.

Gregory Reinoso (Rojos): 3.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K. Nice work for a 17-year-old lefty whose ERA, after his first outing, was 162.00.

Derik Capitillo (DSL Reds): 3-6, 2 2B, HR, 6 RBI. Capitillo is an 18-year-old Venezuelan listed as a catcher, although yesterday he was the DH.
    Sorry, Mace, I jumped your gun. I thought you were taking the day off or something.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Sorry, Mace, I jumped your gun. I thought you were taking the day off or something.
    Nah, we live too close to the power plant. And on a lane with too many trees.

Thanks, though. If I'd waited another couple minutes, I could have been spared the effort. Appreciate it.

Thursday, June 13: Tim Crabbe, Pensacola: 7.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K. Through seven, Crabbe had given up only two hits, with no walks. Though not an entirely consistent fellow, he has a propensity for throwing outstanding games.

Also notable . . .

Ray Chang: 2-2, HR. Chang left the game shortly after the HR.

Ryan LaMarre: 2-3, BB, R.

Shane Dyer: The Reds have done well with several of their free-agent pickups this year. Dyer produced his third quality start in as many appearances for Bakersfield, going 7.1 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 K.

Jamie Walczak: After his fourth save, Walczak has now thrown 9.2 scoreless innings on the season . . . 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.

Juan Perez: 2-4, 3B, R.

Kyle Waldrop: 2-4, 2B, RBI.

Juan Silva: 2-4, BB.

Seth Mejias-Brean: 3-4, 3B, R

Joe Hudson: 2-3, 2B.

Daniel Pigott: 2-4, 2B, 2 R.

Luis Gonzalez and Joyce Hernandez: Both are 20-year-olds from Venezuela, and both pitched 3.1 strong innings of relief for the DSL Reds, Gonzalez (lefty) giving up one hit and no runs, Hernandez (righty) no hits and one run.

Jose Siri: We don't know if the rookie center fielder is a prospect or not, but we do know that, through 10 games in the DSL, he is a beast. The 17-year-old clubbed his fourth triple to go with 3 HR, giving him a slugging percentage of .789 and an OPS of 1.185.

Jose Siri: We don't know if the rookie center fielder is a prospect or not, but we do know that, through 10 games in the DSL, he is a beast. The 17-year-old clubbed his fourth triple to go with 3 HR, giving him a slugging percentage of .789 and an OPS of 1.185.
    We also know that if you ask him a question he almost always knows the answer.

Siri, what is the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    We also know that if you ask him a question he almost always knows the answer.

Siri, what is the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise?
    Too bad we don't get broadcasts of the DSL games. That would be some Siri-ous radio.

17. Likes:

texasdave (06-14-2013)

Too bad we don't get broadcasts of the DSL games. That would be some Siri-ous radio.
    Have you tried Siri-usXM?

Turn Off Ads?