Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor-League Player of the Day

Re: Minor-League Player of the Day

Sunday, May 12: Ryan LaMarre, Pensacola. The Blue Wahoos' center fielder went 3-3 with a HR, SB, and 2 BB.

Also notable . . .

Armando Galarraga: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K.

Henry Rodriguez: 3-5, 2 2B, 5 RBI.

Jon Moscot: 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K.

Jesse Winker: 3-5.

Seth Mejias-Brean: 1-3, 2B, 2 BB, 2 RBI.

Brodie Greene: 2-4, 2 2B.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Sunday, May 12: Ryan LaMarre, Pensacola. The Blue Wahoos' center fielder went 3-3 with a HR, SB, and 2 BB.

Also notable . . .

Armando Galarraga: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K.

Henry Rodriguez: 3-5, 2 2B, 5 RBI.

Jon Moscot: 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K.

Jesse Winker: 3-5.

Seth Mejias-Brean: 1-3, 2B, 2 BB, 2 RBI.

Brodie Greene: 2-4, 2 2B.
    HRod may have finally found his AAA stroke.

On the game thread, OGB said that one of Winker's outs was a 400-footer caught at the wall.

Interesting to me that Winker has yet to get POD honors.

Hadn't realized that. He's certainly been in the picture many times. Same with Felix Perez. And Chad Rogers could easily have two or three more.

Monday, May 13: Robert Stephenson, Dayton. The heralded righthander goes back-to-back with strikingly similar performances. This time it was 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K. He gave up his first hit with two outs in the fifth. In the two straight starts, covering 12 innings, Stephenson has fanned 16 and walked zero. Yikes.

But he had competition, especially from:

Ryan Dennick . . . 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3K,

and

Neftali Soto . . . 4-5, 2 BI, and a stolen base! I have no idea how that happened. Soto's now up to .292 and coming fast.

Also:

Kyle Waldrop . . . 2-3, HR, BB.

Juan Duran . . . 2-2, 2B, 2 BB.

Billy Hamilton . . . 3-5, 3 R, 2 SB (21)

Greg Reynolds . . . 7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K.

James Allen . . . 6.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K.

Tuesday, May 14: Nevin Ashley, Louisville. Did you know that in eight minor-league seasons, Nevin Ashley has an OBP of .356? Not too shabby for a catcher. And he certainly didn't hurt himself last night, when the former Tampa Bay draftee (6th round, 2006) went 4 for 4 with a 4-bagger in the Bats' 8-7 victory. Ashley is now hitting .325, although it's only 46 plate appearances. I mean, Corky Miller is a hard guy to dislodge.

Also notable . . .

Johnny Cueto: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K. But no, I wasn't going there.

Devin Lohman: 2-5, 2B, first-inning grand slam.

Jesse Winker: The notables are seldom complete without Wink. 2-4, 2B, HR. After a slow start, the tearin'-'em-up teenager sits at .303.

Robert Ramirez: 2-4, HR.

Ryan LaMarre: 2-4, HR, 2 BB.

Travis Mattair: 1-3, 4 R, 2 BB, game-tying HR in bottom of 9th (back side of back-to-back with LaMarre).

Wednesday, May 15: Carlos Contreras, Bakersfield. All right, I'll admit it. I wasn't caught up in the excitement over Contreras moving from relief to starter this year. His excellent 2012 season didn't convince me that he'd come from nowhere to join the slim ranks of serious prospects. Well, so much for that. The stocky (5-11, 205) Dominican right-hander (yeah, Cueto and Corcino and all that) now sports a .945 WHIP, pitching in the California League, after this outing last night: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K. He had an almost identical line about a month ago. The kid's a serious prospect.

And I'm glad he did what he did last night. Otherwise, it would have been a tough call between some of these guys . . .

Joe Mather: The former Cardinal OF, spanking new to the org, went 3-4 with a HR and 2B.

Bryson Smith: The guy who just hits was 3-5 with a HR and a single that started Pensacola's winning rally in the bottom of the 10th. He's up to .302.

Felix Perez: Perez may have done as much for himself this year as anybody in the system. Louisville's best player (for now, anyway) was 3-4 with a BB and 3 RBI.

Daniel Corcino: This was more like what we'd been expecting from Corcino -- 5 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 7 K.

Josh Smith: Finding consistency now, Smith posted a line of 6 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K.

Juan Duran: 2-3, HR (the only run Bakersfield scored). A batting average of .271 doesn't sound like much, but for Duran, it's an encouraging sign.

Corky Miller: 2-4, HR, nice mustache.

Mike Hessman: 3-5, 2B.

Jesse Winker: Winker didn't have a hit or anything. It just felt unnatural not to include him.

Normally I am a pitching-pitching-and-more-pitching guy, but with the glut of outstanding starting pitchers in the organization, perhaps this draft should have an emphasis on hitting.

Stephenson
    Rogers
    Corcino
    Cisco
    Travieso
    Garrett
    Langfield
    Smith
    Villarreal
    Contreras
    Romano
    Gonzalez
    Moscot
    Crabbe

And I probably missed one or two.

PS I have no idea why I posted this on the MiPOTD thread.

Thursday, May 16: Jesse Winker, Dayton. Well, it's about time. Winker's had a lot of comparable days, but this time nobody elbowed him out. The only other contenders all pitched in relief. Anyway, the teenaged prodigy went 2-4 with his fifth HR and 3 RBI, leaving his batting average at an even .300.

Also . . .

Tony Amezcua. Entering in the third inning for Pedro Diaz, who wasn't so good, Amez (what if he pitched to Mez?) put up: 4.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.

Tim Crabbe. Manny Parra opened with two scoreless innings for Pensacola, and Crabbe followed with: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K. I just liked the Ks.

Alejandro Chacin. Then Chacin followed Crabbe: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K.

Watch out for Chacin...

22.2 innings, 10 hits against, 26 Ks and a .128 avg against.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Watch out for Chacin...

22.2 innings, 10 hits against, 26 Ks and a .128 avg against.
    Nor is it the first time he has strutted his stuff. Interesting that he has pitched 22 + innings. In 2011, with the AZL Reds, he threw 22 innings and gave up 12 hits, with 34 K and only 7 BB. He was also outstanding in the Venezuelan League in 2010. Last year, at Billings, he was comparatively pedestrian, but has bounced back very nicely. He's still only 19.

He was a little down last year so I wrote and told him to just keep learning as much as he can and never stop 'Chacin' his dream.

Contreras made the BA Prospect Hot List, #11.

Corcino was in the "not so hot" category.

Friday, May 17: Jon Moscot, Bakersfield. You don't find many 1-0 games in the California League, but Moscot and his fellow Moscovites pulled it off. His breakout line: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K.

And while we're at it, let's go ahead and credit his wing men: Pat Doyle -- 1.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K. And the ascending El'Hajj Muhammad -- 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, ERA 0.93.

Also notable:

Drew Cisco. 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K. In his eight starts and 50 IP this year, Cisco has walked 4 batters. Three of them were in one game. (Why do I suspect the umpire?) So, yes, in six of his eight starts, all of them six innings or more, the 21-year-old righty has walked nobody. Bully.

Seth Mejias-Brean. MJ's first HR of the season proved to be the game-winner in the 10th for Dayton. On a 3-5 night, he also doubled.

Jesse Winker. The wunderkind homered for the second straight night, his sixth. Also tripled. Up to .304.

Sean Lucas went the final three innings for Dayton: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.

Juan Perez, leading off the top of the first for Bakersfield, singled, stole second, and came around to score the only run of the game. He was 2-3 with a BB.

Emmanuel Burriss was 3-4 with a 2B.

Corky Miller was 2-4 with a 2B and 2 RBI.

Chad Rogers. 4.2 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. Anybody know why he left the game in the fifth after only 77 pitches, working on a shutout?
    Last edited by mace; 05-18-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Turn Off Ads?