Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose on baseball's unwritten rules.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Pete Rose on baseball's unwritten rules.

Have always thought baseball's "unwritten rules" are nonsense. Play hard. Play to win. From first pitch to last pitch. If the other guy's feelings get hurt, he needs to take up another activity.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    saw a game last weekend with 9 and 10 year Olds where a team was stealing bases when leading 24 to 1.
    The baseball gods will remember this. It will come back on them.

5. Likes:

Always Red (04-08-2013),George Anderson (04-08-2013),TeamSelig (04-08-2013)

stealing bases for the typical 9-10 year old game should be disallowed in my opinion. I'll never, and I mean never be confused w/ Billy Hamilton, even I was able to steal bases as a 9/10 year old. (I'd alter that rule if it was a highly competitive league for elite players).

however, no matter if stealing bases is allowed or not, any coach ordering (or allowing) his kids to steal bases when up 24-1 should be promptly releaved of his duties as a coach. That's not teaching baseball, that's just rubbing it in the faces of a 9 or 10 year old kids

7. Likes:

George Anderson (04-08-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (04-08-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pete played his first game as a Red 50 years ago today.

Yesterday he pitched furniture to me with his wife during the game whilst wearing a fedora and eating donuts.

Shakespeare would have a field day with that.
    Wife pointed out, while we were watching the ad during the game, that the advertisement only includes "Two free baseball tickets" -- which, for all we know, could be Florence Freedom seats.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If a rule isn't written down, its not a rule.
    I hope this is not considered hijacking the thread because it deals with an unwritten rule, but one of these, lets call them customs based on the quote above, is that pitchers never throw at pitchers. The word is that if you throw at another pitcher, every pitcher in the league will declare open season on you.

I can't decide if this is some form of elitism or just sadistic cowardice. If a pitcher intentionally beans a player on another team... why is it his teammate that must receive the counter-punch (in the national league).

You are throwing a hard sphere at an immobile target with literally career ending or potentially lethal force... Don't dish it out if you aren't willing to receive it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Wife pointed out, while we were watching the ad during the game, that the advertisement only includes "Two free baseball tickets" -- which, for all we know, could be Florence Freedom seats.
    I had noticed that too. I wonder if they would have had to pay for rights to say Cincinnati Reds, or if it is misdirection to give you Freedom/Bearcat/Muskies baseball tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    saw a game last weekend with 9 and 10 year Olds where a team was stealing bases when leading 24 to 1.
    I have coached or been actively involved with youth baseball for most of the last seven years.

Given the knowledge of some coaches, and the fervent nature of the parents in the stands, I would not recommend going there for inspiration about 'playing the game the right way.'

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I have coached or been actively involved with youth baseball for most of the last seven years.

Given the knowledge of some coaches, and the fervent nature of the parents in the stands, I would not recommend going there for inspiration about 'playing the game the right way.'
    I was only there to watch my nephew, but I was blown away at that happening in a game. More shocked that none of the parents on the team doing it, had zero issue with it. The coach even started arguing with the ump delaying the game maybe 2 minutes when up 25 to 1 over an obstruction call. Least class I've ever seen
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    I hope this is not considered hijacking the thread because it deals with an unwritten rule, but one of these, lets call them customs based on the quote above, is that pitchers never throw at pitchers. The word is that if you throw at another pitcher, every pitcher in the league will declare open season on you.

I can't decide if this is some form of elitism or just sadistic cowardice. If a pitcher intentionally beans a player on another team... why is it his teammate that must receive the counter-punch (in the national league).

You are throwing a hard sphere at an immobile target with literally career ending or potentially lethal force... Don't dish it out if you aren't willing to receive it.
    You also have to consider that most pitchers are "easy outs" and hitting them puts them on base, when likely they wouldn't.

If you hit their star player, it also helps you pitch "around" them. So it would make more sense to walk their best hitter, than the pitcher. I think part of it derives from this logic (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    You also have to consider that most pitchers are "easy outs" and hitting them puts them on base, when likely they wouldn't.

If you hit their star player, it also helps you pitch "around" them. So it would make more sense to walk their best hitter, than the pitcher. I think part of it derives from this logic (IMO)
    If it was based on logical analysis, I would be fine... But I have been told by an MLB pitcher when I asked the question that every pitcher knows that if they bean another pitcher, every pitcher in the league will put a bullseye on their back.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

The "unwritten rules" are guidelines for etiquette, not rules. Not everybody has the same idea of what is acceptable etiquette for any given situation and people have a habit of rationalizing why their situation is special/different.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I had noticed that too. I wonder if they would have had to pay for rights to say Cincinnati Reds
    This is how I interpreted the offer, same deal as when businesses offer promotions around "The Big Game" because they can't say Superbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I had noticed that too. I wonder if they would have had to pay for rights to say Cincinnati Reds, or if it is misdirection to give you Freedom/Bearcat/Muskies baseball tickets.
    I'd guess his MLB ban would preclude him from appearing in an ad that included giving away MLB tickets, so they probably are giving away tickets to some other game. That's my thought anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I'd guess his MLB ban would preclude him from appearing in an ad that included giving away MLB tickets, so they probably are giving away tickets to some other game. That's my thought anyway.
    I don't think MLB can prohibit anyone from giving away Reds tickets. They may have something to say about advertising it, however, although I really don't understand how... My guess is that they are Reds tickets. Someone should call your local store and ask....lol.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    What are they going to do if he breaks the rule? Ban him from baseball?

Turn Off Ads?