Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So are the reds just THAT good?

So are the reds just THAT good?

Fingers crossed, knock on wood, regardless...

But the reds had the potential to win 6 in a row if those extra inning games went in there favor. Not just to any team though, but 2 teams that have been heavily regarded as MLB favorites to go to the world series. And the reds honestly looked so much better put together than these 2 "world series contender" teams....Makes you wonder..is this a sign of things to come? Or are the Nats and Angels just overhyped/still not clicking as a team?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So are the reds just THAT good?

Judging anything from 6 games of baseball is a bad idea. The Reds started 3-6 last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Nice to take 2 of 3 from from "projected" top teams / division winners ... The schedule according to experts is harder early in the season and will lighten up.

They were good enough to win these 2 series. Still looking for them to be good enough to win 3 series in October.
    Is it "next season" yet?

I would say its just as much a sign of how good we are and also that those teams are just not clicking yet.....we had some timely hits and they didnt.....how often is Strasburgh giving up 6 runs? not that often.......

I think we have a top 3 team in the national league and probably all of baseball but alot can happen over 162 games......I am just hoping that our minor league players keep playing lights out baseball.....that is the key to winning long term.....and I am seeing a franchise that has the ability to make a run for another 5 plus years......think about that for a few minutes and then go look in the mirror and see how big that smile is.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It is extremely dangerous to base anything on a small sample size in baseball.

We are a very good team, not because of what happened in those 6 games, but because we are.

BTW, Washington is also 4-2 this season.

BTW, while you suggest we could be 6-0 because we lost two games in extra-innings, 3 of our 4 wins have also been very close.

Right now they just need to concentrate on winning series: taking 2 out of 3, 3 out of 4, etc. An occasional sweep would be nice.

It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking, "There's along way to go; its only April; these are not must win games." But no one knows what might happen in August. If a couple position players or a couple starting pitchers miss 3-4 weeks due to injury, or Todd Frazier (or another couple players) has an August/September meltdown as he did last year, the team may be glad they racked up a bunch of wins in April and have cushioned their lead in the standings so that injuries or slumps won't be as devastating later on.

The other issue is that the team can't be satisfied with beating just the top tier teams. They also have to beat the bad teams, as well. It will do no good to beat the Cardinals, Giants, and Braves in head-to-head competition, if you can't beat the Marlins, Rockies, or Cubbies. If they can't win 75% of the games against the teams with losing records, so what if they win 51% of the games against the teams with winning records?
    Last edited by MikeS21; 04-08-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Ask me again in August.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I can't remember what team it was but back when the MLB network first came on they showed several odd shows during the winter and one that has always stuck in my mind was a team back in the early 2000's missed the playoffs but had like a .800 winning percentage against the top teams in the American League....I remember that the combined to only lose like 7 games against the yanks and Red Sox....they dominated the best teams but they got swept by the royals and the blue jays and athletics or whoever was the bottom feeders that year.....

That stuck in my head so much because my dad always used to preach to me that when you play weaker teams you need to need to dig a little deeper, you must fight harder to play them because they already think of you as the better team and they are digging deeper than you so you must dig hard and try harder.....for some reason that has always stuck in my memory bank

"That good"? I don't know. But having 4-2 in the bank against 2 tough teams certainly feels good.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

wolfboy (04-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Judging anything from 6 games of baseball is a bad idea. The Reds started 3-6 last year.
    Any of those Angel games could have gone either way. If one did then we're a .500 team. We're one of many 4-2 teams right now in a 162 game season. That's all

14. Likes:

George Anderson (04-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Any of those Angel games could have gone either way. If one did then we're a .500 team. We're one of many 4-2 teams right now in a 162 game season. That's all
    That's assuming all things are equal, but they're not. Reds played the Angels and the Nats, not the Cubs or the Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    That's assuming all things are equal, but they're not. Reds played the Angels and the Nats, not the Cubs or the Marlins.
    Reds lost a 3 game series to the Astro's once last year. One or two series does not a season make. However, you point isn't an invalid one.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    They're absolutely not equal, hence the reluctance to draw much into this. The games were also all at home. We've got a horrendous April scheduled. I'd be fine if we end it at .500. I'm excited to look at the standings today and see that we're at 4-2 but it really doesn't mean much right now. In fact after seeing the Angels play at Texas this weekend, I'm wondering if they're in trouble. Hamilton's bat looked slow and I'm wondering if Scioscia is on the hot seat.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Right now they just need to concentrate on winning series: taking 2 out of 3, 3 out of 4, etc. An occasional sweep would be nice.
    Agreed with this. If we take each 3 game series, it breaks down to win more series than you lose, sweep more series than you're swept and you'll come out way ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?