Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: April 8th Minor League Updates

Re: April 8th Minor League Updates

Professor Quezada has walked five batters so far in the first. The visiting team has yet to swing the bat except for a bunt. First swing of the game for Visalia results in a two-run single to center. 3-0. I am having serious doubts whether the good Professor is going to earn tenure tonight. Blaze bullpen is up and throwing. Juan Silverio with a defensive gem to end the inning.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-08-2013 at 10:28 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yorman Rodriguez smacks a solid single to center. Nice crack of the bat could be heard on the radio. Back-to-back walks load them up. Control seems to be an issue with both starting pitchers. Buckley swings at the first two pitchers from a pitcher who just threw 8 of 9 out of the strike zone. SMH. He eventually strikes out on a 1-2 count. Berset pops up. Runners hold. Juan Perez whiffs.

We have a Bill Plummer sighting. He manages Visalia.

I have said it before but it bears repeating. The Bakersfield announcer is good.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-08-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Our old pal Jerry Gil picked up the long save (the only kind available in a 7-2 game) against Louisville: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.

Well Bakersfield was whitewashed. Do I get partial credit for that?

Radhames walked seven in his 2-plus innings. Three Blaze relievers - Gonzalez, Dennhardt and Pinckard threw 6 innings of 1-hit, shutout baseball. But the die had already been cast.
    Juan Duran had two singles.

There were no extra-base hits in the game for either team. That is a rarity in this day and age.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-09-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Reds farm clubs pretty much all suffered from the same malady on Monday night. Juan Castro-itis. The four teams combined for three runs (Dayton and Bakersfield were goose-egged) on 22 hits. Billy Hamilton had two of them.

Candidates for MiLPOTD -

Billy Hamilton - 4 - 5. 2 RBI. 3 Steals.
    Ray Chang - 2 -4. A single and a double. 1 RS. 1 very fine defensive play per DD.
    Brodie Greene - 2-2 with a walk.
    Daniel Renken - 7IP 4H 1ER 1BB 5K 0HR.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-09-2013 at 01:05 AM.

MILB Recap:

Bakersfield - http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...recap&sid=t423

A little tidbit in that story. The Blaze bullpen has pitched at least 3.1 innings in every contest so far. That is going to wear out that bullpen in a hurry.

How awful is that Bakersfield squad?

0-5 and counting. Just brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    How awful is that Bakersfield squad?

0-5 and counting. Just brutal.
    Considering most of those guys were in Dayton last year? Not very surprising, if you saw any Dragons games.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Considering most of those guys were in Dayton last year? Not very surprising, if you saw any Dragons games.
    If I were running the Reds farm system, I would think very hard about bringing in some AAAA ringers to fill key spots on that roster and give the team some semblance of hope. It can't be good for a prospect's psyche to spend year-after-year playing on terrible teams.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If I were running the Reds farm system, I would think very hard about bringing in some AAAA ringers to fill key spots on that roster and give the team some semblance of hope. It can't be good for a prospect's psyche to spend year-after-year playing on terrible teams.
    Where would you play them? D'Anna is a quality bat at first (for this level). Ryan Wright is a prospect at second. Juan Perez is a prospect at short. Juan Silverio is a prospect at third. The outfield has Duran, Waldrop, Rodriguez and Silva. I guess you could bring in some pitchers to fill out the roster some. The position side of things seems good enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He should be 2-3. He was credited with a bunt single in his second at bat. The pitcher threw it away. Had the throw been on line, Hamilton was out by 10 feet.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 04-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Where would you play them? D'Anna is a quality bat at first (for this level). Ryan Wright is a prospect at second. Juan Perez is a prospect at short. Juan Silverio is a prospect at third. The outfield has Duran, Waldrop, Rodriguez and Silva. I guess you could bring in some pitchers to fill out the roster some. The position side of things seems good enough though.
    They are dead last in the California league in both runs allowed and runs scored. While I would usually write that off as only being five games worth of data, this is largely the same cast of characters who tied for fewest runs scored in the Midwest League last season and were next to last in runs allowed. They are awful.

I'd have short leashes for many of the would-be prospects in that Bakersfield lineup. If they can't hit in the Cali League, then they aren't really prospects.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

They are dead last in the California league in both runs allowed and runs scored. While I would usually write that off as only being five games worth of data, this is largely the same cast of characters who tied for fewest runs scored in the Midwest League last season and were next to last in runs allowed. They are awful.
    Four starters on the team have a BABIP under .200. Three of them are under .150.

Some plate discipline is in order though. Rodriguez and D'Anna have 7 combined walks. They have a combined 11 strikeouts. The rest of the team has 6 walks and 40 strikeouts.

And it really isn't largely the same cast from Dayton. Yorman Rodriguez spent half a season in Dayton. Juan Duran, Juan Silverio and Dominic D'Anna didn't see a single at bat with Dayton. Sean Buckley didn't hit in Dayton. Perez, Waldrop and Wright all hit well in Dayton.

Turn Off Ads?