Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not Heisey in center??

Why not Heisey in center??

Sorry if already discussed in one of the 20 choo threads, but has Dusty commented on why he doesnt have Heisey in center when he's playing? Especially with Ludwick out for a while? Would Choo be more comfortable in left?

2. Likes:

DocRed (05-10-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why not Heisey in center??

I believe the logic is that there's no point in moving Choo over if Ludwick is going to be back this year because then he wouldn't get the time to learn centre before having to move back if Luddy returns.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

5. Likes:

Chip R (04-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Sorry if already discussed in one of the 20 choo threads, but has Dusty commented on why he doesnt have Heisey in center when he's playing? Especially with Ludwick out for a while? Would Choo be more comfortable in left?
    This is Dusty's stated reason:
    - When/if Ludwick comes back Choo would have to relearn CF. Why not leave him there in hopes he becomes comfortable

Other reasons that might factor in
    - Choo is not a LF by trade either
    - If Ludwick doesn't come back it would be much easier to acquire a LF than a CF at trading deadline
    - Heisey has not shown he is an everyday player

7. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (04-09-2013),marcshoe (04-09-2013),Redlegs Homer (04-09-2013),Todd Gack (04-09-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Every game is just as important. Game 1 counts the same as game 137. What makes this team the best, LF-CF-RF... Heisey/Choo/Bruce or Choo/Heisey/Bruce?

I have to go with option #2. When Paul plays for Heisey, then do what you will. But when it is Heisey and Choo in the lineup, this team is better defensively w/ Heisey in CF. I want the best defensive team in the field. PERIOD.

As noted, I think Baker has been quite clear about his thinking. I can't definitely say that yesterday's game will be an aberration, but I think it will be. He won't be perfect out there, but the couple of games I've seen, he's handled it reasonably well.

Yesterday's game was essentially a perfect storm - two extremely well hit ball during a sunny day game. I like that Choo stepped up and refused to make excuses. I like that the team rallied behind him and understood that his glove is not the paramount reason he's with this club. I like Latos' take on this and his own fault in putting a couple of fat pitches up there with a batter who knows what to do with such lollipops.

Choo is proving to be everything I hoped for when we acquired him. And bravo to the club with deciding that we shouldn't waver on our intent to keep him where we planned. This club is every bit as good as we thought it would be.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

10. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (04-09-2013)

I expect to see errors like this just about every time Choo plays center for the first time in a stadium. He had issues in the first game in Cincinnati but was solid after that. He's a smart ballplayer and a hard worker: he'll be fine second time through the division.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Every game is just as important. Game 1 counts the same as game 137. What makes this team the best, LF-CF-RF... Heisey/Choo/Bruce or Choo/Heisey/Bruce?

I have to go with option #2. When Paul plays for Heisey, then do what you will. But when it is Heisey and Choo in the lineup, this team is better defensively w/ Heisey in CF. I want the best defensive team in the field. PERIOD.
    For today's game, perhaps #2 - although I've never bought into the fact that Heisey was an above average defender in CF.

Two weeks from now, who knows. Give Choo some time.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Choo will be the CF come playoff time -- either because Ludwick has come back and is manning LF or because Walt has acquired a bat for LF at the deadline.

If he's going to be playing CF in October, I'd rather get the mistakes out of the way now and have him as comfortable as humanly possible.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

14. Likes:

edabbs44 (04-09-2013),kbrake (04-09-2013),redsfanmia (04-09-2013),Steve4192 (04-09-2013),TOBTTReds (04-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    This is Dusty's stated reason:
    - When/if Ludwick comes back Choo would have to relearn CF. Why not leave him there in hopes he becomes comfortable

Other reasons that might factor in
    - Choo is not a LF by trade either
    - If Ludwick doesn't come back it would be much easier to acquire a LF than a CF at trading deadline
    - Heisey has not shown he is an everyday player
    All correct. Add in one more. Dusty has said that Heisey is best as a corner outfielder, not a true centerfielder.

Obviously Heisey has more experience in CF than Choo, but Dusty doesn't seem to love him in that position.

The big issue is Choo in the vast centerfields. He might not cover enough ground. Not sure Heisey would either.

We might see Derrick Robinson out there once in awhile. Derrick and Billy Hamilton could cover the outfield by themselves.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about Choo in centre regardless of how many games he plays there to be honest. He wasn't a great RF defender that kind of problem will just compound in CF. He would do us much more good on a corner outfield spot, but hopefully he can learn this late in his career.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'm guessing that Baker doesn't want Choo to have to learn two new OF positions at the same time.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Choo will be the CF come playoff time -- either because Ludwick has come back and is manning LF or because Walt has acquired a bat for LF at the deadline.

If he's going to be playing CF in October, I'd rather get the mistakes out of the way now and have him as comfortable as humanly possible.
    This. Let's not take our eyes off the prize, gentlemen. I know we have to make the playoffs before we can win the World Series, but I still think keeping with the master plan is the best way to go at this point. Choo will be fine in CF in time. Then either Ludwick will come back healthy, or if he doesn't, Walt will work some trade magic to fill the void in LF. This team is built to win it all and we need Choo to be the CF in October.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

Sure, game 1 counts the same as 137.... and neither are worth anything compared to game 163. If they believe Choo in CF now helps them win game 163, I'm on board.

OK, based on the responses above---why not BRUCE in center and Choo in right??

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    OK, based on the responses above---why not BRUCE in center and Choo in right??
    A week ago I would have said because Choo is 90% gone next year and why move Bruce for 1 yr just to move him back. Today? They might already be turning over cushions looking for money to keep Choo. If both are here for the long haul, I'd consider it.

Turn Off Ads?