Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Reds rein in Billy Hamilton?

Should the Reds rein in Billy Hamilton?

We all know what Billy Hamilton can do on the bases. He's got the minor league stolen base record and looks to be on his way to a bright future with the Reds. That said, I'm of the opinion that the Reds should cut back on the stolen bases for his own good. All that diving back into the bases when the pitcher throws over to 1st and sliding into 2nd and 3rd takes a toll on a body. I realize that's going to happen to any player who has some speed but with someone like Hamilton it's going to happen quite a bit if he's going to steal close to as many as he stole last year. I don't think he should stop entirely but the Reds should go to him and the LOU manager and explain that he has nothing left to prove as far as stealing bases goes. Lord knows he's not going to run as much as he did last year when he gets up to the Reds. Have him cut back to about one a game. Have him work more on reading the pitchers' moves when he gets on base. Whether you are stealing or not, you can still study a pitcher's moves. Once he gets up to the Show, he can crazy go nuts on the bases even though I don't think that will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

redsfandan (04-09-2013),Steve4192 (04-09-2013),Stingray (04-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should the Reds rein in Billy Hamilton?

I'm going to see him play here in Charlotte the week after I go up to see the Reds in Cincinnati.

He can stop after that.

Hamilton needs to focus on improving his success rate. He was caught about 24% of the time last season. He has proven that he can get SBs in bunches, but I would rather see less SB's and much less CS's.

6. Likes:

Stingray (04-09-2013)

The other way of looking at it is that Billy needs the development against better competition.

I think most of us agree that AAA has much more talented pitchers and catchers who are better able to catch him trying to steal. Sure we want to see him cut down on the CS %. Part of learning to read pitchers and catchers (and learning to slide around infielders taking the throws at the bases), will only come from actually attempting to steal.

Another important part of his development ought to be sound coaching that will teach him when and when not to attempt to steal. There are going to be a BUNCH of angry armchair managers the first time Billy steals 2B, and the pitcher pitches around Joey Votto because of the open 1B bag.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    There are going to be a BUNCH of angry armchair managers the first time Billy steals 2B, and the pitcher pitches around Joey Votto because of the open 1B bag.
    Why would anyone be angry with that outcome? The Reds are better off with a runner on first and second and Brandon Philips at bat, then they are with a runner on first and Joey Votto at bat.

I think he needs to learn his craft. Stealing bases take time and effort.

He needs to run in order to be successful as a prospect.

(That's not a bad thing. He will be among the most electric players in the game.)

Too, IMO, you tell him not to run now, you run the risk of turning off his aggressiveness. That aggressiveness is part of the make-up that's made him so successful.

I don't buy into this theory, really. It'd be one thing to think he's risking injury, but general wear and tear doesn't concern me. We're less than a generation removed from every MLB starter playing practically every day. In that time, player nutrition has improved, in season and offseason training has become more advanced, injury prevention and recovery has progressed mightily in many ways from availability of more whirlpools and other equiptment to the use of things like accupuncture.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Billy says rest is for the weak.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Reds have said Hamilton is being reigned in. The guy is a very hard worker. While he has a lot of steals so far, I am sure that he isn't just running because he can, but he is choosing to run because of something. He is learning along the way. So far, only one play has been even remotely close (at third base).

I think we sometimes forget that the game is just a part of a guy's daily routine. I'd be willing to bet that he exerts himself much more in his prep than in his game action. From a percentage standpoint, I'm not sure cutting back the SB attempts will materially affect his workload.

That said, I'd be having him dial it back from the standpoint of being more judicious about the situations he steals in so that he doesn't come up and run the Reds out of innings against the tougher competition.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    There are going to be a BUNCH of angry armchair managers the first time Billy steals 2B, and the pitcher pitches around Joey Votto because of the open 1B bag.
    So you're just pre-supposing that Choo makes an unproductive out, not advancing Billy? Or, for that matter, Billy isn't standing on 3B following the second pitch to Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think we sometimes forget that the game is just a part of a guy's daily routine. I'd be willing to bet that he exerts himself much more in his prep than in his game action. From a percentage standpoint, I'm not sure cutting back the SB attempts will materially affect his workload
    If sprinting fifty five feet everyday causes wear and tear, my gym teacher has a lot of explaining to do. Nt sure I buy that either.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    If sprinting fifty five feet everyday causes wear and tear, my gym teacher has a lot of explaining to do. Nt sure I buy that either.
    Not the sprinting as much as the sliding head first.

I have never seen him play but the more I hear the more and more I get excited. Can't wait to see him in a Reds uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Yeah I think it is the risk of injury while sliding or diving into a base that concerns them, not the physical exertion.

Turn Off Ads?