Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Rest of Your Life"

"The Rest of Your Life"

A little backstory.

A few of you know, most of you don't, that a few years ago I went a little "off". And by "off" I came pretty close to killing myself.

It took going "away" for awhile, changing jobs, moving to a new city, and buying a house (and having an awesome wife) for me to get all the way back to were I used to be.

Oh, and some really good prescription medicine and doctors.

Anyway, had my quarterly checkup today, and was told by the doc that I'm going to have to be on prozac for the rest of my life.

I probably should be weirded out by that, but I'm not.

At all.

My mom is upset. (Haven't told my wife yet since she's at work). Mom doesn't like the idea of her son having to be on mood altering meds for the rest of his life.

I figure, I feel great, why take the chance of going back to what I was?

Just felt like sharing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buy Celebrex Online - Cheap Celebrex Online!

This is exactly the response I needed.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 04-09-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Re: Buy Celebrex Online - Cheap Celebrex Online!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    This is exactly the response I needed.
    It's almost so perfect I almost don't want to delete it. Alas...
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Re: "The Rest of Your Life"

I feel for you with your mom, Raisor. Mine is the same way.

Several years ago (probably more like 12 or 13, now that I think about it) I told my mom I thought I might have ADD because despite being identified as gifted growing up I was having a terrible time concentrating in school and getting genuinely awful grades. For example - I as identified as having very high-level math skills for my age, and I failed Algebra 1 in the ninth grade. Flat-out flunked it.

So I told my mom and she said "No no no, you just need to concentrate better. You don't need to be on any medicine. That will follow you for the rest of your life!"

I may or may not have had ADD, I don't know. I eventually got it together once college came around and ended up taking basically every math class under the sun on the way to my degree. But the fact that mom wouldn't even consider finding out whether or not that may have been the problem always confounded me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

There was no such thing as ADD when I was a kid. Or Aspergers.
    For your sake I am glad we have progressed to the point that it's acceptable to have such a diagnosis and to receive medication to help. Unfortunately, we have not progressed to the point that we can just treat all brain differences as dispassionately as we do physical differences, but I am hopeful that we will continue to move forward.

Raiser, I am thrilled to know you have a way to stay healthy, whether it's because you have found something to keep your heart ticking or the chemicals in your brain working correctly. Keep on keeping on.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 04-09-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

There is no reason to be weirded out at all. Everyone in my family takes some form of depression medicine all the way up to my grandma. It's the normal for alot of ppl. It makes life better so its a good thing. I know u don't know me but I am proud of u for sharing this. It makes it easier for people who struggle with it and feel ashamed. Go going raisor !

Let me edit to say that my mom has been nothing but supportive of me.

She and my wife are largely why I'm alive right now.

They made me go get help.

She knows why I have to stay on the meds. She's not embarrassed I'm on meds. She just doesn't want me to have to take them forever.

Why would anyone be "weirded out" because they need medication to give their body what it needs to function properly? No one feels weird about getting glasses for someone whose eyes don't function as well as they should. I have asthma and sometimes need to take an inhaler to be able to breathe correctly. I see no difference.

I fought my ADD reality for years and once I finally said screw all the stigmas and accepted that it's not just laziness or lack of discipline, it opened to the door to being able to deal with what needed to be dealt with. Self judgment is a really hard thing to let go of, but I believe it's the key to peace and happiness in this life.....something I will likely battle for as long as I live.

Very few bodies are finely tuned instruments of perfection. The human ego has somehow gotten in the way of people addressing genuine obstacles that can, in many cases, be dealt with easily. This idea that things we can't see physically are somehow not as real, or are evidence of weakness is one of the primary culprits most responsible for people continuing to live with anxiety and hostility. Needless suffering is all it is.

I'm glad you got the help you needed, Phil, because I know with certainty that this world is exponentially better with you in it. I'm equally as glad to hear you say that you're ok with it and feel fine about it, because there's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I hope people don't get the wrong idea about this thread.

I'm not looking for an ego stroke.

Ok, let me rephrase:

I'm not looking ONLY for an ego stroke. I'm hoping there is someone on the site that needs some help and I might be able to help them.

And I'm looking for an ego stroke.

Kinda piggybacking on what MWM said, here's a long-winded story...

Last summer I had my first physical in a few years. The doc had bloodwork done and my cholesterol was alarmingly high. So he gave me three months of eating right and exercise to get it down on my own. I started eating better, sleeping better, even exercising! Went back 90 days later, down almost 40 lbs and my cholesterol was still unacceptable. So now I'm on medication likely, you guessed it, for "the rest of my life!" It sucks, sure. But if it keeps me from having a stroke or a heart attack, I'll be ok with it.

If your situation was high cholesterol or blood pressure or any other of a laundry list of physical maladies, you might get a from some folks, but not much more than that. And that's the unfortunate thing about the issue you're dealing with. In the grand scheme of things, the treatment is pretty similar to high blood pressure. The way many people think about it, is not. It's a great thing that you've gotten the treatment and support you need. Don't let having to take a pill a day, even if it's for "the rest of your life" affect the way you feel about feeling better.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 04-09-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Glad you got the help you needed. If its meds that will help you through life's ups and downs, I'd be all for it. It's great to have positive support.

I completely understand how a string of Patterson/Taveras/Stubbs leadoff hitters can lead to severe depression and even suicidal tendencies. I'm glad Choo leading off has made things better, and I hope Billy Hamilton can continue to stabilize your moods. Maybe he'll be successful enough to change your Doctor's mind about your prescriptions.

But seriously, glad your better and posting again, the board wasn't the same without you
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let me edit to say that my mom has been nothing but supportive of me.

She and my wife are largely why I'm alive right now.

They made me go get help.

She knows why I have to stay on the meds. She's not embarrassed I'm on meds. She just doesn't want me to have to take them forever.
    I didn't mean to sound critical at all, and that's great she was supportive of you getting help.

I'm sure if I had been going through depression my mom would have had me get help as well. I think part of why she reacted the way she did about me thinking I had ADD was because she's always had huge plans for me. From a pretty young age I can remember her telling me "You're going to go to a four-year university!". I don't know why having ADD would prevent that, but I think that her fearing it may have been part of her reacting the way she did.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    That seems like an odd prognosis to make to me. Granted, I'm not a psychiatric professional at all, but I have been involved with the field of psychology as a patient basically my whole life, and I have picked up on a lot. To me, that seems to go against everything I've ever known. That is, medication is usually something that has to be monitored frequently and often adjusted.

Anyway, I envy you. Finding the right one is really difficult, and I really think that for a lot of people who are depressed that there really isn't an anti-depressant that *can* help them. I know I've basically been prescribed all of them since I was in my early teens. I've had a wide range of experiences from nasty side effects, to no effect at all to really exacerbating the depression. So I don't think there really is one for me. I've found that daily exercise has basically fixed a lot of my emotional problems, surprisingly enough.

That's the end of my incoherent rant I guess. Congrats on finding what works for you, seriously. So many people struggle their whole lives to get to that point.

I think I get what Raisor's mom is saying, that no one really wants their kids to have to be on any medication for the rest of their life. It adds complication and cost, even though it means quality of life is better overall. My son takes medication that reduces the anxieties he experiences as a part of being on the autism spectrum and as a parent I can't help but hope that one day he can function without it. It's not really very likely, but that hope is part of a vision for his future as a successful adult who learns how to live in a neuro-typical world and it buoys me in the low times. Sorry if this thread is becoming confessional.

If there were a pill that could keep me from saying what's on my mind in staff meetings, I'd take it for the rest of Raisor's life.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?