Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: "The Rest of Your Life"

Re: "The Rest of Your Life"

What I'm curious about is why can't people say, "Good job, Raisor. I hope you continue to feel better" and leave it at that? Perhaps a separate thread about the pros and cons of medication would be more appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I, personally, call shenanigans.
    How does someone "develop" a chemical imbalance that requires medicine for the rest of their lives.

I'm curious.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not doing your work for you. This is well-documented scientific research. You obviously have an internet connection. As disinterested in facts though you appear to be, I suggest you get to to work if it's of that much interest to you.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm not doing your work for you.
    You don't have to do research, just spitball why someone would "develop" this problem.

If you can't do that, then you're just defferring to experts. These are the experts who said Glass-Steagal needed to be repealed and that we'd be greeted as liberators in Iraq. "Experts" are all wet.

"Science!" doesn't mean you can stop thinking about human nature and politics. Sorry.
    Last edited by Rojo; 04-12-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What I'm curious about is why can't people say, "Good job, Raisor. I hope you continue to feel better" and leave it at that? Perhaps a separate thread about the pros and cons of medication would be more appropriate.
    Raisor himself stated that he wasn't looking for just that.

I'll go one step further than I wanted. His mother's concern is about her parenting. Naturally. But nobody's a perfect parent. I have a 22 year old son and I'm starting to realize that my limitations as a parent are starting to effect his development. I'm an imperfect parent. Probably because I was raised by imperfect parents who were raised by imperfect parents.

"Brain chemicals" allows us to forget all that, to avoid painful realizations and conversations. It's the perfect repressed, Protestant sidestep.

They call me "chef"

People don't need to live their lives according to the cards YOU were dealt. Experiences are different and what works for someone else may be wrong for you but oh well. People don't need you to understand their chemical imbalance to lead a productive, healthier life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Raisor himself stated that he wasn't looking for just that.
    I'm sure he wasn't looking for opinions from amateurs who think they know all about medication just because they stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I took an extra pill this morning after reading the thread.

I agree. But can you not imagine that there's something between "character flaw" and "physical flaw"? Where would you put a PTSD veteran? Is it just a case of some thingees not firing right? Or maybe it's the hell he's been put through?

After Newton, everyone used natural laws to explain stuff. After Darwin, it was natural selection. We humans lover our models. And now we're in the computer age.

On/Off

One/Zero

Our minds aren't computers.
    Well, I disagree regarding minds not being computers. They are orders of magnitude more complex and they are plastic (malleable) but they aren't mystical.

Hence, why I paired my statements regarding medication with behavior modification as well. Just as we might look down on a person who takes heart medication while drowning everything in salt, we should recognize both the "natural" part of the problem and the ability of the person to influence it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

How does someone "develop" a chemical imbalance that requires medicine for the rest of their lives.

I'm curious.

The brain changes over time. How does one develop diabetes, high blood pressure, or a bad knee?

I think one of the issues here is that we are assuming the "rest of your life" part. We don't know where medical science will be in 10, 20, 30 years. Perhaps they will develop therapies that can fix chemical imbalances permanently.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

When I first got sick, up until about 18 months ago, I was on some serious meds.

Three different anti-depressents, two uppers and one downer, sleeping pills, etc.

I've been weened off everything other than prozac at this point. Haven't had a sleeping pill in a couple of months (after using them for three years).

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    How does one develop diabetes, high blood pressure, or a bad knee? .
    Thanks for making my point for me.
    You don't just "develop" a bad knee, diabetes (adult onset type 2 for sure) or high blood pressure one day.
    9 times out of ten these are preventable "diseases" that derived from how your lifestyle choices affected your body and ultimately your health.

I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I'm curious.

It's not that hard to figure out. How does someone "develop" poor eyesight that requires glasses for the rest of your lives?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I just want to point out that I agree that it's in a person's best interest to try other ways of managing conditions or symptoms that don't require medication. But contrary to some, I've come to believe that there are far more people who sit back and do nothing and continue to live with challenges that have serious detriment to their lives, than those who "take the easy road" and turn to pharmaceuticals. And the reason why many of these people do this is because of some opinions expressed in this thread.

Earlier this year, I completely transformed my diet. I eat virtually no processed foods at all any more. My diet consists of lean proteins (lots of fish, chicken, and turkey), tons of fruits and veggies (some through my juicer, which I love; and some eating normally). I snack on nuts mostly.

I also started a vigorous workout program with a lot of intense cardio (what's supposed to have the most impact on people with ADD symptoms like me). I feel better than I've felt in years, dropped some extra weight, and don't plan on going back to my old lifestyle. I've reached a point where my body craves healthy foods, does not desire crappy food, and also craves exercise.

Perhaps the most significant change I've made is I started meditating every single day. I think that's had a greater impact than anything else. And there's a lot of science supporting the neurological benefits of meditation. There's no doubt the positive impact all of this is having.

I've tried several times to do other things to manage day to day so I wouldn't need anything additional to help me function properly throughout the day. But every time I wind up realizing I'm not there yet. This was no exception. I still need some help from the pharma gods. When I don't take something, it's a struggle to get a basic amount of work done. I've developed systems, coping mechanisms, etc... that have helped tremendously, but there is a significant difference when I don't take meds. It's just biology. No amount of platitudes and stereotypes about the evil pharm companies or people just wanting a quick fix changes the fact that my body is not producing something it needs to function properly and there's a medication that helps me get what I need. I'm not going to feel guilty about partaking. Why should I?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

You don't have to do research, just spitball why someone would "develop" this problem.

If you can't do that, then you're just defferring to experts. These are the experts who said Glass-Steagal needed to be repealed and that we'd be greeted as liberators in Iraq. "Experts" are all wet.

"Science!" doesn't mean you can stop thinking about human nature and politics. Sorry.
    You could use the same logic you're applying in this post to call into question the validity of the science behind global climate change. I highly doubt you're on the fence on this topic (and neither am I). Afterall, "experts are all wet". I don't completely understand the science behind climate change or even evolution for that matter, but I have no problem deferring to the experts in either of these cases.

Experts being wrong in the past doesn't mean we should start ignoring what modern science is telling us. Sorry.

*I'm* not stopping thinking about human nature and politics (or science, for that matter) at all. I'm just not going to play the role of expert for somebody who doesn't want to do the work himself.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?