Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Rest of Your Life"

Re: "The Rest of Your Life"

From where I sit, you've come a long, long way since your darkest days a few years ago. I quietly read your writings and you appear to be back to the old you. Since then I've been appalled to read about how many RZers have struggled with mental illness to the point of considering suicide. But let's get to you specifically.

First of all, just because a doctor now says that he wants you on a med the rest of your life doesn't mean that'll happen. It does mean you'll be on it for the foreseeable future and if that means not going back to where you were, what's the problem? That's the purpose of meds. My point in this paragraph is don't get too caught up in the "rest of your life" bit in all of this. You're a young guy. Nobody's commiting to the rest of your life decisions right now. Being a health care professional myself, I know opinions and circumstances change. I'd prefer the wording of "foreseeable future" or "for now".

I don't understand the issues you've dealt with but I do have close family members who've dealt with depression. I can't even say exactly what meds she's on but one of them says that she has to take her meds every day to feel fine and her husband concurs as he wants a "happy" wife. They both are fine with this reality and they don't understand why another family member who suffers from the same ailment resists taking her meds while continuing to struggle with moodiness. My point here is don't worry about having to take a pill every day. Be glad that it's there for you and let it do what it's intended to do. I can think of tons of ailments where the patients would love to treat it with a pill the rest of their life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's the thing, and I hope this doesn't upset anyone, but if you are paying attention then maybe you should be upset...

That's all we want to do anymore is address the symptoms, instead of the root causes.

Example: Let's say you live in very very dry conditions. And because of this, you get dandruff and dry skin in general. So you go to the doctor. And what do they do? Prescribe anti-dandruff shampoo with whatever chemicals in it, and some dry skin medication, with whatever chemicals in it. Side Effects include blah blah blah, but don't worry, they have meds to alleviate those side effects too.

When what you really needed was to change your environment to one that is more humid. But instead you are told, "I'm sorry but you are going to have to be on dandruff medication your entire life."

And why? Because it's way more profitable to tell you you need a lifetime of medication than it is to tell you to change your environment.

Don't get me wrong, some people need to be on serious medication. But the whole "I can't concentrate in school, so put me on drugs for the rest of my life" is freaking ridiculous.

Maybe little Timmy can't concentrate in school because he isn't challenged. Or maybe he is over challenged. Or maybe formal education isn't his thing. Some people simply are not wired for it. But let's not take the time to figure it out. Little Timmy is not falling in line like the others so lets just pour drugs on Little Timmy until he does.

Raisor, I don't wish to diminish what you have been through, and how far you have come. But I can't help but wonder if every avenue of treatment was exhausted before the decision was made to commit to a lifetime of medication.

Someone tries to kill themselves. Were there any factors that may have been driving this? Something as major as being abused, to as minor as not eating properly...it all affects mood and chemical balance. But again, there is no money in that kind of treatment. Nah...let's just put him on a drug that he can't ever get off of.

It's sad really. The answer to every problem these days is a pill. Sad and scary.

tl:dr
    Unless you are the 1% of people that really needs to be on serious medication, then you have probably been duped by Big Pharm into a lifetime commitment to their "medication."
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It's sad really. The answer to every problem these days is a pill. Sad and scary.
    You mean like blood pressure medicine, right? Yes, it's scary that we just give people pills to thin their blood.

And don't get me started about insulin.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Here's the thing, and I hope this doesn't upset anyone, but if you are paying attention then maybe you should be upset...

That's all we want to do anymore is address the symptoms, instead of the root causes.

Example: Let's say you live in very very dry conditions. And because of this, you get dandruff and dry skin in general. So you go to the doctor. And what do they do? Prescribe anti-dandruff shampoo with whatever chemicals in it, and some dry skin medication, with whatever chemicals in it. Side Effects include blah blah blah, but don't worry, they have meds to alleviate those side effects too.

When what you really needed was to change your environment to one that is more humid. But instead you are told, "I'm sorry but you are going to have to be on dandruff medication your entire life."

And why? Because it's way more profitable to tell you you need a lifetime of medication than it is to tell you to change your environment.

Don't get me wrong, some people need to be on serious medication. But the whole "I can't concentrate in school, so put me on drugs for the rest of my life" is freaking ridiculous.

Maybe little Timmy can't concentrate in school because he isn't challenged. Or maybe he is over challenged. Or maybe formal education isn't his thing. Some people simply are not wired for it. But let's not take the time to figure it out. Little Timmy is not falling in line like the others so lets just pour drugs on Little Timmy until he does.

Raisor, I don't wish to diminish what you have been through, and how far you have come. But I can't help but wonder if every avenue of treatment was exhausted before the decision was made to commit to a lifetime of medication.

Someone tries to kill themselves. Were there any factors that may have been driving this? Something as major as being abused, to as minor as not eating properly...it all affects mood and chemical balance. But again, there is no money in that kind of treatment. Nah...let's just put him on a drug that he can't ever get off of.

Unless you are the 1% of people that really needs to be on serious medication, then you have probably been duped by Big Pharm into a lifetime commitment to their "medication."
    Is this what your career in scientific research has taught you? Because I'm very well read in some of the things you outline above and I can tell you that you don't seem to know much about the science behind any of it.

Sometimes the "root cause" is that the body does not produce enough of a certain substance that it needs to function optimally. There's nothing more to it than that. Maybe Timmy can't concentrate because a certain area of his brain isn't getting the proper amount of dopamine that's needed. No amount of change in environment, or challenging him, or anything else is going to change that. If Timmy doesn't see well, are you not going to let him get glasses?

It's true that there are those out there looking for a quick fix and are diagnosed incorrectly. This is a problem, no doubt. But research I've seen suggests that the opposite happens much more often and is an even bigger problem. People who should be diagnosed (and sometimes that means medication, sometimes it does not) wind up continuing to struggle their entire lives because they read a lot of nonsense like you wrote above and think it's true. They change their environment, they do all kinds of other things they think will change them, and nothing helps. So instead they think they're just lazy or any other number of derogatory adjectives.The psychological toll this can cause over a lifetime is what's really sad.

I'd suggest doing a little homework before simply reciting what's been said by countless others who almost always have no real education on the subject.
    Last edited by MWM; 04-10-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I was in daily group and individual therapy for six weeks, then daily individual therapy for a year. Then monthly, then quarterly. Haven't been in a while at this point. Moved to a new state and never found someone to replace the awesome one I had (she was a Reds fan too..and hot)

I was under the care of a shrink daily for six weeks, then weekly, then bi-weekly, then monthly, now quarterly.

I have great insurance and have gotten the care that's been right for me.

I agree 1000%

Nobody wants to look at the causes, bc that usually involves two words most people hate - lifestyle changes

Rather keep eating McDonalds, eating processed food, consuming sugar and artificially sweetened sodas, drinking cow milk, and eating animals chock full of antibiotics, steroids, and other drugs and chemicals, and sitting on the couch watching tv (or surfing the Internet) - and taking a pill to offset "symptoms" of these choices, versus educating themselves on how to eat healthy and working out.

Rather be a victim of their "genetics" rather than take personal responsibility for their health and wellness.

It's pathetic.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I agree 1000%

Nobody wants to look at the causes, bc that usually involves two words most people hate - lifestyle changes

Rather keep eating McDonalds, eating processed food, consuming sugar and artificially sweetened sodas, drinking cow milk, and eating animals chock full of antibiotics, steroids, and other drugs and chemicals, and sitting on the couch watching tv (or surfing the Internet) - and taking a pill to offset "symptoms" of these choices, versus educating themselves on how to eat healthy and working out.

Rather be a victim of their "genetics" rather than take personal responsibility for their health and wellness.

It's pathetic.

So what about all those people who eat incredibly healthy, do regular exercise, and live an overall healthy lifestyle but still have the same issues?

Lot's of proud ignorance in this thread. That's one thing that's certainly not genetic.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Lot's of proud ignorance in this thread.
    'Muhrica.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    I agree 1000%

It's pathetic.

Like I said, I have helped a lot of my symptoms simply by running hard every day and lifting weights everyday. Eating unhealthy and all that does not help mood disorders, true.

But to boil that down to that simplicity like it applies to everyone, that's a mistake. It's a very medieval attitude to have towards medical issues, as if "toxins" or impurities are the root of all evil. And that's a very naive way to think.

Might as well start bleeding out depression or curing it with leeches.

Lot's of proud ignorance in this thread. That's one thing that's certainly not genetic.
    It comforts me to know there are people who have it all figured out and are willing to share that wisdom with us. Where would we be without them?

EDIT: Raisor, I wish you continued mental health, happiness, and many more Nobel Prizes!
    Last edited by RichRed; 04-10-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It's also the nature of being a mother.

My Mom didn't want me to take cholesterol medicine....

Yet if I don't take it she worries....

So what about all those people who eat incredibly healthy, do regular exercise, and live an overall healthy lifestyle but still have the same issues?

Not saying there aren't exceptions or necessities to treat true disorders.
    Quit painting with such a broad brush.

I was agreeing with the guy who said people are too quick to "treat" symptoms with pills, versus looking at ALL Causes and Prevention.

The 1% or so that have true disorders or diseases, sure. They may need drugs for the rest of their lives.
    Otherwise the human body does not require pills to function properly.

I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Raisor, thanks for sharing your story. My brother made a suicide attempt about a month ago, but thankfully we got to him in time. He is on a med and attending therapy and has come a long way since that day, although we know it's not all going to be "ok" in such a short amount of time. But he's now getting the help he needs.

I've never reached that point of despair, but I have been on a med for mild anxiety for about three years and it's helped me immensely. It keeps me balanced and relieves the ups and downs I used to experience. I used to feel ashamed about it but I learned it's just another illness and there is help out there.

On a side note, I think you are one of the funniest posters here. I always get some good laughs reading your posts.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    The 1% or so that have true disorders or diseases, sure. They may need drugs for the rest of their lives.
    Thanks for the info, doc.

Not saying there aren't exceptions or necessities to treat true disorders.
    Quit painting with such a broad brush.

I was agreeing with the guy who said people are too quick to "treat" symptoms with pills, versus looking at ALL Causes and Prevention.

Quit painting with a broad brush? Really? Have you read your posts in this thread?

Where do you get your information? I ask because you seem seriously misinformed.
    Last edited by MWM; 04-10-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Turn Off Ads?