Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: "The Rest of Your Life"

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Funny you should say that, that's exactly the type of plan I have. I've got a $2K yearly deductible backed up by a Flex Spending Account so whatever the doctors say I need, I do it.

I'll certainly look into this. There's really nothing I wouldn't be willing to TRY if it might make the pain go away. On top of that I went to HS with a very lovely lady who recently got her Doctorate in Physical Therapy - it would potentially give me an excuse to see her, LOL.
    Funny you should mention FSA I'm in a claims class now at work.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "The Rest of Your Life"

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think the Buddhists may have it figured out. I'll never actually join any kind of organization like this, but I've done a lot of reading recently on their views of the mind and on peace and happiness and they make a lot of sense to me....and resonate as well. The neuroscience research they've been doing at the University of Wisconsin with the brain imaging technology and studying buddhist meditation masters is fascinating. Buddhists probably know more about how the mind works than modern day neuroscientists.
    Just this minute I was worked by a Buddhist monk. He's been approaching people all week near my work in downtown San Francisco. I've tried to avoid him but he just slipt up on me. Gave me gold placard, had me write my name in a book, slipped a bracelet on my wrist, said namaste and then asked for a donation. I pulled out my money but only had a $20. I told him I couldn't give him that. He had change. So I got peace and light for ten bucks.

Jung was big on meditation which is why I got into it. I've also been doing a lot of journaling, including automatic writing.

The riddle of peace of mind goes back thousands of years and crosses all cultures. To think that 21st century American researchers have figured it out with their computer modeling is the ultimate hubris. Some things we can't "figure out", like politics or economics.

Jung is cited regularly in much of what I've been reading recently (the collective unconscious was his).

I hate to use the term never, but it's hard for me to imagine science discovering what gives rise to the consciousness, or the reality that we experience in our lives. I just don't see how science can completely explain the "being" side of the human being equation. If they do, I fear the determinists will have been right all along.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    So I got peace and light for ten bucks.
    Well you've got that going for you, which is nice.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Here's a discussion of the DSM. It covers a lot of what we discussed here.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/b..._reviewed.html

Turn Off Ads?