Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stand up Comedy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Stand up Comedy

Since the beginning of the year, I started doing stand up comedy. I was told growing up, and largely through my adult life that I should do it, but never did it for a variety of reasons. Mostly me believing in my own insecurities as well as discovering I have an enormous case of stage fright. Well, at 35 I decided that I'd give it a try. I started attending open mics around Columbus and finally got the nerve to hop up there and do 5 minutes. The results were disastrous, but a gentleman came up to me afterwards and said "Dude, we're all terrible our first time. Keep at it."

A couple months later I did it again and was voted the audience favorite. Now doing it regularly for the last couple months, I've started developing my own style, incorporating one-liners, story telling and music into the act and I feel very comfortable up there. I have been asked to have a semi regular gig at a comedy showcase opening up for regional and national acts and the response has been outstanding.

I'm glad I didn't let my insecurities and fear keep me from doing something I actually enjoy. I don't know if anything will come from this, but at least I know I don't have to believe that I can't do something.

Thanks to anyone who read this. I just wanted a place to write my thoughts and I don't blog, so there you go.
    Witty signature.

2. Likes:

foxfire123 (04-01-2014),kbrake (04-01-2014),marcshoe (03-31-2014),Ravenlord (03-31-2014),Redsfaithful (03-31-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (04-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?