Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand up Comedy

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Stand up Comedy

Since the beginning of the year, I started doing stand up comedy. I was told growing up, and largely through my adult life that I should do it, but never did it for a variety of reasons. Mostly me believing in my own insecurities as well as discovering I have an enormous case of stage fright. Well, at 35 I decided that I'd give it a try. I started attending open mics around Columbus and finally got the nerve to hop up there and do 5 minutes. The results were disastrous, but a gentleman came up to me afterwards and said "Dude, we're all terrible our first time. Keep at it."

A couple months later I did it again and was voted the audience favorite. Now doing it regularly for the last couple months, I've started developing my own style, incorporating one-liners, story telling and music into the act and I feel very comfortable up there. I have been asked to have a semi regular gig at a comedy showcase opening up for regional and national acts and the response has been outstanding.

I'm glad I didn't let my insecurities and fear keep me from doing something I actually enjoy. I don't know if anything will come from this, but at least I know I don't have to believe that I can't do something.

Thanks to anyone who read this. I just wanted a place to write my thoughts and I don't blog, so there you go.
    Witty signature.

2. Likes:

foxfire123 (04-01-2014),kbrake (04-01-2014),marcshoe (03-31-2014),Ravenlord (03-31-2014),Redsfaithful (03-31-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (04-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stand up Comedy

Dude, keep it up. That's exciting. It takes a ton of nerve to get to where you are, now just keep going with it. And keep us filled in!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

You're living one of my dreams. Best of luck.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'm sure you're living the dream a lot of us have, but it's probably a blessing to all those paying customers that fear keeps more of us from doing it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Doing an open mic has been on my bucket list for a couple years now. I haven't worked up the nerve, yet, either. Glad to hear you bounced back from bombing.

What kinds of jokes do you do? Who do you like in the established stand-up world?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What, no youtube link? Your fans await video.

If you ever need motivation, just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG17YhRXrXU

Every video that has been taken is either poorly shot or you can't hear me at all. I'll keep trying.

I do mostly observational humor, quick wit stuff done while playing guitar or ukulele. I love the styles of Mitch Hedberg (of course) demetri Martin, Louis CK, John Mulaney, Jim Gaffigan and many more.
    Witty signature.

You have more guts than me my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    You have more guts than me my friend.
    Are you calling him fat?

/Iamnotacomedian

Did a show tonight and went very well. I'll look through the video to see if anythings worth uploading.
    Witty signature.

Witty signature.

15. Likes:

Spitball (04-01-2014)

VERY nice job. One-liners are so tough because you have to write so many, but the nice thing is if one doesn't hit, there's one right behind it to take away the awkwardness immediately. The Burger King and Zodiac jokes got me.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

That was good. Very good. Betty White. Loved it.

Also, you've convinced me to go ahead and get 3 minutes ready for our local open mic night at Comedy Off Broadway. I've avoided it for a couple years, but it's time to bite the bullet.

Turn Off Ads?