Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sean Marshall to DL; Ondrusek called up

Re: Sean Marshall to DL; Ondrusek called up

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Ondrusek looked GREAT tonight. I'm encouraged.
    He did actually look pretty good tonight. Seemed to be cutting the ball again and even got some whiffs on a little changeup or splitter at the end.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    He did actually look pretty good tonight. Seemed to be cutting the ball again and even got some whiffs on a little changeup or splitter at the end.
    His change was very nice.

I've always thought Ondrusek was underrated here at RZ.

I really like him better than Hoover.

Well, in case someone missed this, Marshall was throwing in the bullpen today, said he felt good.

I think they said the plan was for him to throw again on Sunday (or maybe they said Saturday).

Anyhow, looks like Marshall is on schedule
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep... I'd suggest everyone read Pennant Race and/or Ball Four and note the numerous mentions about arms being sore
    Bouton always said he had a sore elbow that never left. Betcha he had a torn UCL. There were probably multitudes of guys who would just have surgery today out there trying to pitch through crazy pain.

Remember the story about Bob Gibson? A guy who most people thought had a superman arm would almost cry in pain the day after pitching if someone shook his hand wrong.

Pitching is hard. Much respect.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...anky-shoulder/

Those who know about arm/shoulder issues, what's really going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...anky-shoulder/

Those who know about arm/shoulder issues, what's really going on here?
    Cranky shoulder? Some folks would put it in time out, while others would go for a good 'ol fashioned swat on the bum.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I think this is the reason why Baker is using Marshall basically as a LOOGY.

If he overuses him, he might miss the season.

Better to limit his use and get some effective use in high leverage situations than lose him entirely.

Another example of fans not having the same info as the team.

9. Likes:

Always Red (05-22-2013),bigredmechanism (05-23-2013),jimbo (05-22-2013),Puffy (05-22-2013),REDREAD (05-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Better to limit his use and get some effective use in high leverage situations than lose him entirely.

I said on the game thread that it was odd that Broxton and Marshall never warmed up.

But I disagree with Fay's suggestion here because it wasn't simply a matter of Marshall or Latos. There are other relief pitchers.

Marshall was the ideal choice, true, but Dusty should have relieved Latos that inning - even if Sean wasn't available. Fortunately, it worked out ok.

As for Dusty's general use of Marshall, injury or no, I endorse it. Marshall is especially tough on lefties, should mostly face lefties. There are other guys to focus on the righties.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-22-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I actually agree with this assessment, but to play devils advocate a bit, what if the "cranky" shoulder is due to lots of warming up but very little actual work. Maybe he needs longer stints in order to stay in game shape? I remember I had a teammate who was like that...but he complained alot so I took everything he said with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I said on the game thread that it was odd that Broxton and Marshall never warmed up.

But I disagree with Fay's suggestion here because it wasn't simply a matter of Marshall or Latos. There are other relief pitchers.

Marshall was the ideal choice, true, but Dusty should have relieved Latos that inning - even if Sean wasn't available. Fortunately, it worked out ok.

As for Dusty's general use of Marshall, injury or no, I endorse it. Marshall is especially tough on lefties, should mostly face lefties. There are other guys to focus on the righties.
    And just for the record...yeah, like we have a "record" LOL. Broxton DID actually warm up today. He got up when Simon did. He sat down once Dusty selected Simon though.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It could be that. Or it could just be that this showed up yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It could be that. Or it could just be that this showed up yesterday.
    Except he had it when the season started, and there was another time this year when he wasn't available. And now this time.

So, it's clearly been recurring.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I actually agree with this assessment, but to play devils advocate a bit, what if the "cranky" shoulder is due to lots of warming up but very little actual work. Maybe he needs longer stints in order to stay in game shape? I remember I had a teammate who was like that...but he complained alot so I took everything he said with a grain of salt.
    I don't seem to recall lots of warming up when not used?

Except he had it when the season started, and there was another time this year when he wasn't available. And now this time.

So, it's clearly been recurring.
    He said he hurt himself during spring training by throwing to much and not realizing that spring training was extended due to the WBC.

I don't seem to recall lots of warming up when not used?
    Not exactly what I mean. I mean warming up in many games only to be used for VERY short stints...1 batter.

Turn Off Ads?