Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jacoby Ellsbury

Jacoby Ellsbury

Buster Olney courtesy of WEEI and MLBTR:

On Ellsbury possibly being traded this season: “My question about whether or not they would consider trading him would be based on his response if they at any point decide, ‘You know what? We are going to work in a platoon. We are going to use other guys. We are not going to necessarily guarantee him being in the lineup every day.’ And if they felt like that wasn’t something he was going to go along with willingly, then at that point maybe you say, ‘Maybe we should move him out.’ And I’m guessing that one of the things they would be looking at in return, because you’re not going to get a ton of return for all the reasons you stated, would be a bullpen piece.

“There aren’t a lot of teams that would be in the market for him. There are some teams that could use a center fielder, but they are developing teams, not necessarily a contender. It would have to be a contender that would know he would walk away as a free agent at the end of the year and they would be comfortable with that.”
    Broxton, Soto and Felix Perez for Ellsbury?

The hot hitting Perez helps bridge the gap until Bradley Jr is ready. Broxton fills the void left by the season ending injury to Hanrahan and protects against the fragility of Andrew Bailey. Plus he is signed for two more years. Soto could help fill in at 1B when Papi needs a breather.

Reds get a stop-gap CF and #2 hitter, shifting Choo to LF and Cozart to the bottom of the order. If Ellsbury performs and Hamilton is ready, give JE a tender offer and collect another first round pick. If Hamilton never figures out AAA pitching, perhaps you could engage Ellsbury in extension talks if Choo is too expensive to keep. Ellsbury would seem affordable especially with the cost savings of offloading Broxton. If Ellsbury continues to tank, he's still a defensive upgrade from the status quo and at least they offloaded Broxton's contract in the process, perhaps freeing up more money to extend Choo. Perez and Soto are purely spare parts at this point.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-22-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury

I don't think any of those three guys have any real value.

It won't take a truckload to get Jacoby, but probably more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

You're probably right, but to Olney's point what contender needs a CF? Not the Braves, Phillies, Nationals, Cardinals, Pirates, Indians, Tigers, A's, Angels, Giants, Dodgers or Rockies. And they're not doing an intra-division deal.

I always thought a Corcino for Ellsbury deal could make some sense, although Corcino has been abominable so far this year. Maybe they'd have some interest in Sharky Rogers? I'd sell high if I could on him.
    Go BLUE!!!

Isn't Corcino a little too valuable to give up for a few months of JE?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Isn't Corcino a little too valuable to give up for a few months of JE?
    Not if he keeps pitching like he has this season.

Ellsbury has been below his career averages in 2013, but Corcino has been downright awful. Given the preexisting questions about his height, I'm concerned- and I'm not one to panic on prospects after 2 months.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You're probably right, but to Olney's point what contender needs a CF?
    The Red Sox?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

The Red Sox are contending, so I don't think they want spare parts. They now have Bailey back as their closer so Broxton will not head a deal for Ellsbury.

Actually, I think a Choo for Ellsbury trade might make sense...though I know it won't happen. The Sox could play Choo in right because they have Victorino. The Reds could play Ellsbury in center because he is a better defensively than Choo.

I also think Ellsbury is more likely to need a one year deal after this season to rebuild his value. Hamilton might also need another year.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    The Red Sox are contending, so I don't think they want spare parts. They now have Bailey back as their closer so Broxton will not head a deal for Ellsbury.

Actually, I think a Choo for Ellsbury trade might make sense...though I know it won't happen. The Sox could play Choo in right because they have Victorino. The Reds could play Ellsbury in center because he is a better defensively than Choo.

I also think Ellsbury is more likely to need a one year deal after this season to rebuild his value. Hamilton might also need another year.
    The last sentence of the first paragraph says Boston would be looking for bullpen help.

I think Broxton is that guy for 2 reasons:
    1. He's a bullpen guy. He's locked up. He also can Close if needed. But he has been the 8th inning setup guy in Cincy.
    2. Payroll relief for the Reds.

I'd trade Broxton straight up for a few months of Ellsbury. I'd throw in a Neftali Soto if I had to. Shouldn't have to for a rental though.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ellsbury has very little value right now. He's a rental which lowers his value the most, and he's coming off a really bad year with an even worse one so far. I can't imagine him getting more in a trade than Victorino got last summer.

Btw, Broxton is a reliever with closer experience, who is locked up at a decent rate for the next three years. He has more trade value than Ellsbury right now, by a ton.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

klw (05-23-2013)

He's an injury prone rental coming off a bad year and having a bad year. Why do we want him again?

I'd be happy to take him off their hands in a lightning in a bottle move for a spare part with some money coming the Reds way offset some of Ellsbury's deal. Maybe Parra and Guillon for Ellsbury and a couple million bucks. They could have Soto if they insist. No way I'd deal Broxton or Corcino for him.

The Reds have a good team. I just don't see the urgency to trade away pieces that are filling major roles (like 8th inning reliever) or kids high on the prospect list for marginal upgrades (if that). The Reds could use a RH Hitting OF that can play all three positions and hit against LHP in a spare part move. They don't need another pricey underperforming LH bat who would be behind both Paul and Lutz on the depth chart as LH bats go and they certainly don't need to deal a major piece of their bullpen away to get him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

CySeymour (05-23-2013),HokieRed (05-23-2013),REDREAD (05-23-2013)

Ellsbury would not be a number 2 hitter in a Reds lineup so long as Dusty Baker is the manager.
    Ellsbury bats left. No way would Dusty make out a lineup card with Choo, Ellsbury and Votto, three lefties, being the first three guys in the order.
    If Ellsbury was second in the lineup, then Dusty would probably bat Phillips third and Votto fourth to break up the lefties. Of course if he did that, then Frazier would probably bat fifth and Choo sixth, then whoever was catching 7th and Bruce 8th, all to break up the lefties.
    Oh yeah, Dusty would still need a righthander batter to hit lead off. Meet your new lead off hitter: Cozart.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Ellsbury hasn't played well for a while. He makes good money. Sacrificing anything of value to rent him would be a mistake, IMO.

16. Likes:

CySeymour (05-23-2013),HokieRed (05-23-2013),Tom Servo (05-23-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Ellsbury would not be a number 2 hitter in a Reds lineup so long as Dusty Baker is the manager.
    Ellsbury bats left. No way would Dusty make out a lineup card with Choo, Ellsbury and Votto, three lefties, being the first three guys in the order.
    If Ellsbury was second in the lineup, then Dusty would probably bat Phillips third and Votto fourth to break up the lefties. Of course if he did that, then Frazier would probably bat fifth and Choo sixth, then whoever was catching 7th and Bruce 8th, all to break up the lefties.
    Oh yeah, Dusty would still need a righthander batter to hit lead off. Meet your new lead off hitter: Cozart.
    No, no, no.........
    ......Ellsbury would be playing CF, and in Dusty's lineup........CFer bats what??????? FIRST!!!!!!

Seriously, any trade better return a righthander. Because if it's a lefthander..........Dusty's head might explode.

18. Likes:

CySeymour (05-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?