Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sean Marshall to DL; Ondrusek called up

Sean Marshall to DL; Ondrusek called up

Per Fay/Sheldon twitter

Ondrusek supposed to be in St. Louis today

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Sean Marshall to DL; Ondrusek called up

Man, the handling of this was not the front office's best showing.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Have I mentioned how much I dislike the WBC yet?

I don't know how other teams handle injuries, I just don't pay close enough attention to the daily minutia, but at any rate, this always seems to be the MO of the Reds. Delay, delay, delay, play w/ a short roster for longer than needed before finally putting a player on the DL. When did he last pitch in spring training? Could he have been put on the 15 day DL retoractively to come off the DL sometime prior to the 15th day of the ML season (if he was physically able)? Instead, they get 1 outing, and now for the next 15 days they're w/o one of their best relievers no matter if his shoulder fatigue is cleared up in 10 days or 15 days.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Especially with this tough April schedule. 100% of the players need to be "All Hands On Board" and to be unavailable during this span is uncalled for. This is the first dropped ball I have seen management do for awhile so will let this one slide but not like Ryan Ludwick.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I don't know how other teams handle injuries, I just don't pay close enough attention to the daily minutia, but at any rate, this always seems to be the MO of the Reds. Delay, delay, delay, play w/ a short roster for longer than needed before finally putting a player on the DL. When did he last pitch in spring training? Could he have been put on the 15 day DL retoractively to come off the DL sometime prior to the 15th day of the ML season (if he was physically able)? Instead, they get 1 outing, and now for the next 15 days they're w/o one of their best relievers no matter if his shoulder fatigue is cleared up in 10 days or 15 days.
    His last Spring training appearance was March 22nd I believe. So we would have been eligible to come off about the day before he pitched.

The thing that makes no sense is why he was allowed to pitch that game last weekend if he was still not feeling right.

Anyone forgetting when he mowed down the Nats on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Have I mentioned how much I dislike the WBC yet?
    Huh? What does this have to do with the WBC???

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I understand your frustration but medicine is an inexact science. We don't always know how these ailments will respond to treatment

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djeternal View Post
    Huh? What does this have to do with the WBC???
    Elongated spring training I think.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Good. Hopefully Marshall comes back 100%.

I'm glad to see Logan back and hope he does well.

Per John Fay
    ST. LOUIS — The Reds placed left-hander Sean Marshall on the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis. Marshall has only pitched once this season. He was replaced on the roster by right-hander Logan Ondrusek.

Ondrusek is supposed to arrive at Busch Stadium in time for today’s game.

Marshall has been limited by shoulder fatigue since the last week of spring training. He pitched a perfect inning Sunday.

“I felt great yesterday,” Marshall said. “I pitched Sunday. I didn’t feel great Monday. I like to bounce back well. We thought it was the best thing (to go on the DL). The bullpen has been working hard. To have somebody fresh who is able to pitch in consecutive days. . . I was close to being able to do that. I understand we have an off day tomorrow.

“But it was in the best interest of myself and the rest of the guys to take this little DL stint and strength my shoulder and get it back to 100 percent, so I can pitch the rest of the year without problems.”

This is Marshall’s second time on the DL and the first time with an arm or shoulder issue (he had a strained oblique in 2006).

“I’m a little disappointed that I couldn’t be ready to pitch everyday,” he said. “It’s taken a little bit of toll on our guys down there. They’ve pitched outstanding.”

Marshall will be eligible in 13 days.

“I’ll knock out the strengthening portion, so I don’t have any setbacks,” Marshall said.

Marshall had an MRI Tuesday. It showed no structural damage.

Ondrusek struggled in spring training. He had a 7.59 ERA in 10 games. He was optioned to Double-A Pensacola. He did not allow a run in three outings for the Blue Wahoos — 2 1/3 innings, one run, one strikeout.

“He’s been throwing the ball good,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said.

I guess I don't see why the handling of every injury, every DL decision, is deemed a national catastrophe.

There's no huge problem in the way this was handled. Hopefully Marshall will be ok.

Can't see the big issue here.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-10-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Elongated spring training I think.
    Not sure how that can be the blame. Injuries can happen at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I guess I don't see why every injury, every DL decision, is deemed a national catastrophe.

There's no huge problem in the way this was handled. Hopefully Marshall will be ok.

Can't see the big issue here.
    Agreed. And good on Sean for understanding his arm and letting the team know. No reason to have this nagging him all season.

Turn Off Ads?