Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sean Marshall to DL; Ondrusek called up

Re: Sean Marshall to DL; Ondrusek called up

This is not good. Outside of Chapman, Marshall is probably the most valuable piece of the pen. He would be a huge loss if this is serious.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I agree. I was just trying to guess as to his rationale for it.
    This is why...

http://www.mlbinjurynews.com/2013/04...ling-with.html

Marshall attributed his fatigue to the length of spring training, which was extra long this year due to the World Baseball Classic.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Most disappointing aspect of this is having to sweat out Ondrusek appearances again. Never have liked the guy. Good arm, can't locate.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Good? Sorry, nothing about this is "good."
    Good that they're not continuing a reliever short.

And that they're not pitching him when he's not ready.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Exactly. I am extremely concerned at this point.

I almost expect Marshall to be done for the year.
    Not too concerned here, he said he was almost ready to be able to pitch 2 days in a row. With the bullpen being taxed right now, I understand it. Just wished he was DL'ed outa spring training.

If Ondrusek was their option, I can understand why they waited to DL Marshall.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

My problem with the way this was handled is that when the season started he had a fatigued shoulder that was going to keep him out until Friday of the that week or so they though. A DL stint at that point would have kept him out until Saturday or Sunday- just 1 or 2 days more. By DL'ing straight off the Reds would not have been short-handed in the pen and could have been more conservative with his return if need be. They also could have tried him out in game conditions in L'ville to see how he reacts. Now they know but he will be unavailable much longer. I am glad they are being conservative and putting him on the DL, I just wish it had happened 10 days ago.

While Ondrusek was the alternative, he certainly could have been used in the 15-0 game and at the end of the 13-4 game saving Hoover's arm a bit and at least made it so another arm was available in those extra inning games..

Considering how much Dusty likes to use his roster situationally, I'm surprised they called up Ondrusek to replace the left. Arredondo has been death to lefties in his career. Having just Manny Parra as a lefty in the pen, a guy who does not have a record of getting lefties out, makes me nervous.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Considering how much Dusty likes to use his roster situationally, I'm surprised they called up Ondrusek to replace the left. Arredondo has been death to lefties in his career. Having just Manny Parra as a lefty in the pen, a guy who does not have a record of getting lefties out, makes me nervous.
    Arredondo isn't on the 40 man, though.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I might have outrighted Ondrusek to get Arredondo back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Ah, my bad.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Is he at least going to get a freaking MRI? Anyone want to bet he doesn't then gets one a month later?

I am so sick of hearing about "soreness" only to find out much later it's bone spurs or some other bull that could have been diagnosed weeks if not months earlier. This isn't some guy with no health insurance. MRI's are not going to kill you. He should be spending the next week in the doctors office making sure everything is ok instead of sitting on his couch doing 12 ounce curls as rehab.

I still have no idea why these million dollar players are not getting checked for everything under the sun when they are injured. We saw it last year with Votto. Get things checked out. It takes a couple of hours at most, and this team has more than enough money. I am not asking for constant xrays which can be a problem. Have every safe procedure under the sun done when a player is not healthy. Nope, instead they will wait and hope it's just fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Is he at least going to get a freaking MRI? Anyone want to bet he doesn't then gets one a month later?
    Settle down, Beavis. He had one on Tuesday. It showed no structural damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Senor Votto

Why don't they put Ludwick on the 60 Day DL and bring up Arredondo?

Ondrusek looked GREAT tonight. I'm encouraged.

Turn Off Ads?