Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 88 of 88

Thread: This team is worse than last year.

  1. #76
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,743

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goose1701 View Post
    Yeah, that .393 wOBA really does suck balls!

    And chemistry? Ugh. Are these kind of comments just a sun deck thing? Because I sure hope so.
    Losing ludwick is huge. It allows votto to be more easily pitched around and a gaping hole in the 2 spot. But that's not the only worry. The reds need to find a way to level off the offense and keep it passable until the trade deadline. I think the pitching will keep them in contention. Then at the deadline make a move for a 4 hole bat and maybe a veteran type disciplined hitter.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Elma, Wa
    Posts
    64

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Losing ludwick is huge. It allows votto to be more easily pitched around and a gaping hole in the 2 spot. But that's not the only worry. The reds need to find a way to level off the offense and keep it passable until the trade deadline. I think the pitching will keep them in contention. Then at the deadline make a move for a 4 hole bat and maybe a veteran type disciplined hitter.
    Yeah losing Ludwick's bat undoubtedly is having a big effect on the offense.

  4. #78
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,742

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Losing Ludwick hurts in 2 ways. Losing his bat and giving Dusty rope to play with viz lineups...the weaker aspect of his managing skillset.

  5. #79
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,743

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Losing Ludwick hurts in 2 ways. Losing his bat and giving Dusty rope to play with viz lineups...the weaker aspect of his managing skillset.
    Exactly!

  6. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Elma, Wa
    Posts
    64

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Just going off of the title of this thread:

    At this point last year, the Reds were 16-15 with a +1 run differential.

    Right now the Reds are 21-16 with a +28 run differential, which is the 2nd best in the National League(Cards are +48!!!). Oh and they lead the National League in runs scored.

  7. Likes:

    REDREAD (05-13-2013)

  8. #81
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,743

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goose1701 View Post
    Just going off of the title of this thread:

    At this point last year, the Reds were 16-15 with a +1 run differential.

    Right now the Reds are 21-16 with a +28 run differential, which is the 2nd best in the National League(Cards are +48!!!). Oh and they lead the National League in runs scored.
    I knew the team had it in them and I never thought they were worse than last year, but lets not get too pumped up over them smashing some dude from Milwaukee that looked like he was pitching BP. Remember what happened against the better pitching in April. The kind that will be in the playoffs. Lets not forget we could use another bat

  9. #82
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I knew the team had it in them and I never thought they were worse than last year, but lets not get too pumped up over them smashing some dude from Milwaukee that looked like he was pitching BP. Remember what happened against the better pitching in April. The kind that will be in the playoffs. Lets not forget we could use another bat
    They've played a tough schedule and they're 5 games above .500.

    I think that is very respectable.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  10. #83
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,743

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    They've played a tough schedule and they're 5 games above .500.

    I think that is very respectable.
    I think it's very respectable too. They are doing a fine job especially considering the injuries. But lets not let a span of games against lesser opponents haze the fact that this team could still use some help. I've always said I think they can make the playoffs with the talent they have but getting over the top would require a lil more whether it be a ludwick return, someone to step up big time, or a player move later on.

  11. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    90

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    This team still needs to show it can consistently defeat good competition. Taking the Brewers series is a good start. The Ludwick injury has hurt but the Cueto injury has been a non factor so far. We have only lost 1 game that Cingrani started. When Cueto comes back are we gonna keep Cingrani up?

  12. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    They've played a tough schedule and they're 5 games above .500.

    I think that is very respectable.

    Respectable? Heck yes it's respectable but it's not playoff contention respectable....there is huge difference in being respected and being feared....the pirates are respected, the cardinals are feared right now.....

    With that said, we are not far behind the cardinals and we are literally a sweep away from taking over the central....it's early and there is a ton of baseball to be played and I think the reds will continue to grow as the season goes on.....the downside to that is if we are winning as July comes and goes will Walt pull the trigger and get us a cleanup hitter? I don't know the answer to that.

    The other thing we all have to remember is this......there is a thing called the wild card and its open to any team that doesn't win their div so if we don't win the central we can still make the playoffs and once in the playoffs anything can happen....the giants, we had them down to their last game and we were at home, look what happened.....the cardinals last year and the year before, look how they played in the playoffs......anything can happen once you get to the postseason.......lets just get there and see where it goes from then.....we don't need to worry about the central, that's the goal but placing 2nd doesn't mean we lose.

  13. #86
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    This team still needs to show it can consistently defeat good competition. Taking the Brewers series is a good start. The Ludwick injury has hurt but the Cueto injury has been a non factor so far. We have only lost 1 game that Cingrani started. When Cueto comes back are we gonna keep Cingrani up?
    Both Cingrani and Leake have pitched well. Leake pitched really well his last outing especially.

    I think Cingrani goes down and works on his breaking and off speed pitches. I think the homers he's given up are connected with him overusing his fastball.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  14. Likes:

    REDREAD (05-13-2013)

  15. #87
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,743

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Both Cingrani and Leake have pitched well. Leake pitched really well his last outing especially.

    I think Cingrani goes down and works on his breaking and off speed pitches. I think the homers he's given up are connected with him overusing his fastball.
    I'm agreeing with that. It looks like a lot of batters are sitting on the fastball. If he can mix the off speed stuff a little more hell be better.

  16. #88
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,743

    Re: This team is worse than last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Respectable? Heck yes it's respectable but it's not playoff contention respectable....there is huge difference in being respected and being feared....the pirates are respected, the cardinals are feared right now.....

    With that said, we are not far behind the cardinals and we are literally a sweep away from taking over the central....it's early and there is a ton of baseball to be played and I think the reds will continue to grow as the season goes on.....the downside to that is if we are winning as July comes and goes will Walt pull the trigger and get us a cleanup hitter? I don't know the answer to that.

    The other thing we all have to remember is this......there is a thing called the wild card and its open to any team that doesn't win their div so if we don't win the central we can still make the playoffs and once in the playoffs anything can happen....the giants, we had them down to their last game and we were at home, look what happened.....the cardinals last year and the year before, look how they played in the playoffs......anything can happen once you get to the postseason.......lets just get there and see where it goes from then.....we don't need to worry about the central, that's the goal but placing 2nd doesn't mean we lose.

    While I definitely want the reds to win the division ill say this. I'd take them winning a wild card knowing they are a complete team and ready to win in the playoffs, rather than a division winner that is lacking all the pieces to win in the playoffs. That being said a division winner that has all of the pieces in place to make a deep playoff run is the optimal option.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25