Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Votto bat 2nd?

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,759

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    Dusty changes lineups when the wind blows, I think Votto would be a team player and accept it.
    Actually, Baker generally goes with the same line-up order when he has all his players. The line-up changes when the players do.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    357

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Move him to lead off since he has NO power and only 2 rbi's on the year. He's great at walking or slapping a single to left field.

  4. #18
    Member xsteve1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    88

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Move him to lead off since he has NO power and only 2 rbi's on the year. He's great at walking or slapping a single to left field.
    Agree he could be a good lead off guy with his ability to take walks. Bat Choo in the 3 spot.

  5. #19
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,235

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    April 14, 2013.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  6. #20
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Votto has no protection in the lineup and is contantly pitched around. Think outside the box and use Phillips and choo to protect him and drive him in.

    Cozart/Hamilton later in the year
    Votto
    Phillips
    Choo
    Frazier/Bruce
    Frazier/Bruce
    Hanigan/mes
    Heisey/Paul or cozart if Hamilton gets called up.

    Cozart sees more fastballs. Votto gets more pitches to hit bc Phillips and choo aren't as easy to strike out as Frazier and Bruce are behind him now. Plus choo can drive in runs in ways other than the homer.

  7. #21
    Burn It Jamz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    413

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Something worth noting is that, while yes Votto does get pitched around to an extent it's largely his approach that leads to being walked so much.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

  8. #22
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Something worth noting is that, while yes Votto does get pitched around to an extent it's largely his approach that leads to being walked so much.
    I definitely agree with your assessment as well. Either way you look at it the man gets on base at an amazing rate. By putting him in the two hole along with Phillips at 3 and Choo at 4 it does three things in my mind:

    1. Allows Phillips to be protected by Choo so he gets better pitches to hit and drive Votto in and maybe help to decrease his strikeout rate. As noted in ORG the reds have the highest k rate with risp.

    2. Puts another hitter in Choo behind Votto that is not as susceptible to the strikeout as Bruce or Frazier. When you put the ball in play "luck" happens. Just ask the Cardinals. Choo can also drive in a run not via the homer. A major issue I see on this team. Plus if Bruce or Frazier enter feast mode, we all know Choo can get on base so he'll be a duck in the pond.

    3. Sets up a situation when Bham is ready for him to leadoff. If he gets on his speed and stolen base ability will allow Votto to see more fastballs.

  9. #23
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,938

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I definitely agree with your assessment as well. Either way you look at it the man gets on base at an amazing rate. By putting him in the two hole along with Phillips at 3 and Choo at 4 it does three things in my mind:

    1. Allows Phillips to be protected by Choo so he gets better pitches to hit and drive Votto in and maybe help to decrease his strikeout rate. As noted in ORG the reds have the highest k rate with risp.

    2. Puts another hitter in Choo behind Votto that is not as susceptible to the strikeout as Bruce or Frazier. When you put the ball in play "luck" happens. Just ask the Cardinals. Choo can also drive in a run not via the homer. A major issue I see on this team. Plus if Bruce or Frazier enter feast mode, we all know Choo can get on base so he'll be a duck in the pond.

    3. Sets up a situation when Bham is ready for him to leadoff. If he gets on his speed and stolen base ability will allow Votto to see more fastballs.
    I have a feeling Bham is not going to be ready this season. I think if we are expecting him to be a contributor this year we will be disappointed.

  10. #24
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Redteamgo! You definitely could be right about Hamilton. I sort of feel that way too...that's why I listed it as the last reason. Part of me says he may be ready at some point and part of me doesn't. Another part of me says he may not be ready but still may be a better option than what we have and Walt won't want to trade pitching depth bc of injury issues for an outfield bat so Bham will get the call up anyway. It should be intriguing to see what happens. If the reds can get a righty power bat to put in the 4 hole or bruce and frazier can be consistent (No knock on BPs awesome season thus far) and move bp to two or find a good two hole bat if BP continues to tear it up then all of this bat votto two stuff will be a good laugh later in the year.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Cartwright, OK
    Posts
    140

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Redteamgo! You definitely could be right about Hamilton. I sort of feel that way too...that's why I listed it as the last reason. Part of me says he may be ready at some point and part of me doesn't. Another part of me says he may not be ready but still may be a better option than what we have and Walt won't want to trade pitching depth bc of injury issues for an outfield bat so Bham will get the call up anyway. It should be intriguing to see what happens. If the reds can get a righty power bat to put in the 4 hole or bruce and frazier can be consistent (No knock on BPs awesome season thus far) and move bp to two or find a good two hole bat if BP continues to tear it up then all of this bat votto two stuff will be a good laugh later in the year.
    we dont have to rush BHam, we basically have him in Robinson already on our team. I would go ahead and say Robinson is a better defensive player at this point. As far as the Votto thing I wouldn't mind 1. Robinson 2. Choo 3. Phillips 4. Votto I only say this now because Phillips seems to be our best chance at driving in runs

  12. #26
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Quote Originally Posted by KC2135 View Post
    we dont have to rush BHam, we basically have him in Robinson already on our team. I would go ahead and say Robinson is a better defensive player at this point. As far as the Votto thing I wouldn't mind 1. Robinson 2. Choo 3. Phillips 4. Votto I only say this now because Phillips seems to be our best chance at driving in runs
    I could go for that but maybe switch choo and votto since he walks a ton, but I can see your line of thinking as well

  13. #27
    Blood and Thunder! Mastodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    51

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Something has to be done with Votto. He's almost one of the last players on the team right now I'd want up with bases loaded. Example, tonight he hit into a double play. When he does actually make contact with the ball it barely leaves the infield.
    I've said all winter they talk about this team winning the division and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

  14. #28
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,938

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
    Something has to be done with Votto. He's almost one of the last players on the team right now I'd want up with bases loaded. Example, tonight he hit into a double play. When he does actually make contact with the ball it barely leaves the infield.
    Nothing has to be done with Votto - he is in a slump... It's just magnified because it is the beginning of the season.

  15. #29
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Nothing has to be done with Votto - he is in a slump... It's just magnified because it is the beginning of the season.
    True. I mentioned batting votto second and choo 4th because of Bruce's and fraziers past strikeout issues. It seems as if they are cutting down in those thus far early in the year with the exception of opening day. So as long as that continues as well as Phillips clutch hitting, then ride it out with votto in the 3 hole. Ill take an over .500 obp in a slump all day so long as the people behind him get him in.

  16. #30
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,235

    Re: Votto bat 2nd?

    Someone with a +900 OPS to start the season is not in a "slump".

    Reds are on pace to score more than 900 runs. Joey getting on base over 50% of the time is a big part of that.

    Dude is on pace to get on base 382 times.
    Last edited by Raisor; 04-19-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25