Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Votto bat 2nd?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Votto bat 2nd?

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    Dusty changes lineups when the wind blows, I think Votto would be a team player and accept it.
    Actually, Baker generally goes with the same line-up order when he has all his players. The line-up changes when the players do.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Move him to lead off since he has NO power and only 2 rbi's on the year. He's great at walking or slapping a single to left field.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Move him to lead off since he has NO power and only 2 rbi's on the year. He's great at walking or slapping a single to left field.
    Agree he could be a good lead off guy with his ability to take walks. Bat Choo in the 3 spot.

April 14, 2013.

Votto has no protection in the lineup and is contantly pitched around. Think outside the box and use Phillips and choo to protect him and drive him in.

Cozart/Hamilton later in the year
    Votto
    Phillips
    Choo
    Frazier/Bruce
    Frazier/Bruce
    Hanigan/mes
    Heisey/Paul or cozart if Hamilton gets called up.

Cozart sees more fastballs. Votto gets more pitches to hit bc Phillips and choo aren't as easy to strike out as Frazier and Bruce are behind him now. Plus choo can drive in runs in ways other than the homer.

Something worth noting is that, while yes Votto does get pitched around to an extent it's largely his approach that leads to being walked so much.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Something worth noting is that, while yes Votto does get pitched around to an extent it's largely his approach that leads to being walked so much.
    I definitely agree with your assessment as well. Either way you look at it the man gets on base at an amazing rate. By putting him in the two hole along with Phillips at 3 and Choo at 4 it does three things in my mind:

1. Allows Phillips to be protected by Choo so he gets better pitches to hit and drive Votto in and maybe help to decrease his strikeout rate. As noted in ORG the reds have the highest k rate with risp.

2. Puts another hitter in Choo behind Votto that is not as susceptible to the strikeout as Bruce or Frazier. When you put the ball in play "luck" happens. Just ask the Cardinals. Choo can also drive in a run not via the homer. A major issue I see on this team. Plus if Bruce or Frazier enter feast mode, we all know Choo can get on base so he'll be a duck in the pond.

3. Sets up a situation when Bham is ready for him to leadoff. If he gets on his speed and stolen base ability will allow Votto to see more fastballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I definitely agree with your assessment as well. Either way you look at it the man gets on base at an amazing rate. By putting him in the two hole along with Phillips at 3 and Choo at 4 it does three things in my mind:

1. Allows Phillips to be protected by Choo so he gets better pitches to hit and drive Votto in and maybe help to decrease his strikeout rate. As noted in ORG the reds have the highest k rate with risp.

2. Puts another hitter in Choo behind Votto that is not as susceptible to the strikeout as Bruce or Frazier. When you put the ball in play "luck" happens. Just ask the Cardinals. Choo can also drive in a run not via the homer. A major issue I see on this team. Plus if Bruce or Frazier enter feast mode, we all know Choo can get on base so he'll be a duck in the pond.

3. Sets up a situation when Bham is ready for him to leadoff. If he gets on his speed and stolen base ability will allow Votto to see more fastballs.
    I have a feeling Bham is not going to be ready this season. I think if we are expecting him to be a contributor this year we will be disappointed.

Redteamgo! You definitely could be right about Hamilton. I sort of feel that way too...that's why I listed it as the last reason. Part of me says he may be ready at some point and part of me doesn't. Another part of me says he may not be ready but still may be a better option than what we have and Walt won't want to trade pitching depth bc of injury issues for an outfield bat so Bham will get the call up anyway. It should be intriguing to see what happens. If the reds can get a righty power bat to put in the 4 hole or bruce and frazier can be consistent (No knock on BPs awesome season thus far) and move bp to two or find a good two hole bat if BP continues to tear it up then all of this bat votto two stuff will be a good laugh later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Redteamgo! You definitely could be right about Hamilton. I sort of feel that way too...that's why I listed it as the last reason. Part of me says he may be ready at some point and part of me doesn't. Another part of me says he may not be ready but still may be a better option than what we have and Walt won't want to trade pitching depth bc of injury issues for an outfield bat so Bham will get the call up anyway. It should be intriguing to see what happens. If the reds can get a righty power bat to put in the 4 hole or bruce and frazier can be consistent (No knock on BPs awesome season thus far) and move bp to two or find a good two hole bat if BP continues to tear it up then all of this bat votto two stuff will be a good laugh later in the year.
    we dont have to rush BHam, we basically have him in Robinson already on our team. I would go ahead and say Robinson is a better defensive player at this point. As far as the Votto thing I wouldn't mind 1. Robinson 2. Choo 3. Phillips 4. Votto I only say this now because Phillips seems to be our best chance at driving in runs

Quote Originally Posted by KC2135 View Post
    we dont have to rush BHam, we basically have him in Robinson already on our team. I would go ahead and say Robinson is a better defensive player at this point. As far as the Votto thing I wouldn't mind 1. Robinson 2. Choo 3. Phillips 4. Votto I only say this now because Phillips seems to be our best chance at driving in runs
    I could go for that but maybe switch choo and votto since he walks a ton, but I can see your line of thinking as well

Something has to be done with Votto. He's almost one of the last players on the team right now I'd want up with bases loaded. Example, tonight he hit into a double play. When he does actually make contact with the ball it barely leaves the infield.
    I've said all winter — they talk about this team winning the division — and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
    Something has to be done with Votto. He's almost one of the last players on the team right now I'd want up with bases loaded. Example, tonight he hit into a double play. When he does actually make contact with the ball it barely leaves the infield.
    Nothing has to be done with Votto - he is in a slump... It's just magnified because it is the beginning of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Nothing has to be done with Votto - he is in a slump... It's just magnified because it is the beginning of the season.
    True. I mentioned batting votto second and choo 4th because of Bruce's and fraziers past strikeout issues. It seems as if they are cutting down in those thus far early in the year with the exception of opening day. So as long as that continues as well as Phillips clutch hitting, then ride it out with votto in the 3 hole. Ill take an over .500 obp in a slump all day so long as the people behind him get him in.

Someone with a +900 OPS to start the season is not in a "slump".

Reds are on pace to score more than 900 runs. Joey getting on base over 50% of the time is a big part of that.

Dude is on pace to get on base 382 times.
    Last edited by Raisor; 04-19-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Turn Off Ads?