Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Votto bat 2nd?

Re: Votto bat 2nd?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    In baseball of course you go through hot and cold streaks. Of course the better pitchers are going to allow less runs. That's why they are the better pitchers. This reds team doesn't only score less runs against good pitching but looks horrible. They have way too many similar bats in their lineup that are undisciplined and swing for the fences. This combined with GABP leads to blowing up poor pitching and getting the holes in your swing and weaknesses exploited by above average pitching. I'm not talking elite pitching who generally will own everyone. The reds struggle against anyone who is above average. Too many strike outs. Too many unproductive at bats. It's different to be shut out by a good pitcher but threaten a couple times a game and give good at bats. There are two guys on this team that give good at bats consistently. Choo and votto. Phillips can at times. The reds hardly ever even do that and if they do they strike out in key situations. If this team had a history of performing offensively for years it'd be premature to be worried in April. Since their coming out party in 2010 strikeouts, lack of plate discipline, and unproductive at bats have been an issue for this club. Sure some of it is because ludwick got hurt this year but its been an issue for some time. In all honesty I don't think the reds are too far off offensively. Adding one may e two guys and eliminating one maybe two feast or famine type guys will go a long way.
    A team can not be filled from top to bottom with the top talent in the league. I concede this team needs another hitter, but I'll agree to disagree that this team is fundamentally flawed offensively.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto bat 2nd?

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    A team can not be filled from top to bottom with the top talent in the league. I concede this team needs another hitter, but I'll agree to disagree that this team is fundamentally flawed offensively.
    I don't think they need to be filled top to bottom with top talent. Maybe subtract a couple pieces and add solid veteran bats that can give good consistent at bats and create a threat behind votto so Phillips can go back to the two spot to fill that void. If somehow these players could improve the D at third or get choo out of center and to a corner than even better. Maybe I sounded too gloom an doom. The reds aren't too far off. I think though to improve the offense the reds may have to part ways with a player or two that we as fans may not want to see go.

Turn Off Ads?