Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton

Re: Billy Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think it is very fair to say he regressed. Walk rate down, strikeout rate up. Doesn't mean he can't rebound, but he has absolutely regressed this year.
    Fair comment.
    I guess my point was that he only spent about 6-8 weeks in AA last year before getting promoted. He's facing harder competition now, and he's working through his tweaks.

It's not as if he repeated a level and started tanking.

But yea, he definitely hasn't improved and given the super high expectations, he's been disappointing.
    Not trying to split hairs or say you are wrong, just giving my opinion. Billy has time to make adjustments. I just think some people (not you Doug) are being a bit harsh on a guy that has been promoted very aggressively.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    For what it's worth, there was a TV interview on FSO with Jim Riggleman (a couple weeks ago).
    They said basically that the coaching staff is trying to get Billy H to hit the ball on the ground more. Maybe that explains why he's hitting fewer balls to the OF with authority? Anyhow Riggleman even said <paraphrased> "When Billy hits the ball in the air, it's bad".

Not saying the Reds are right or wrong, just trying to relay what I heard.
    Does he do push-ups after a fly ball like Wiilie Mays Hayes?
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

4. Likes:

Benihana (08-05-2013),CoachBombay (08-15-2013)

Keith Law just did a piece on the top 8 prospects whose stock has dropped. I would imagine Hamilton was mentioned. It's insider only, so wondering if any insiders can reveal if he did.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Keith Law just did a piece on the top 8 prospects whose stock has dropped. I would imagine Hamilton was mentioned. It's insider only, so wondering if any insiders can reveal if he did.
    No he wasn't. Corcino was.

7. Likes:

757690 (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    No he wasn't. Corcino was.
    Thanks. Really can't argue with that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Billy now at .311/.355 (AVG/OBP) since the All Star break in 102 AB with 17 SB, caught stealing only twice.

Keep it rollin' Billy. Certainly heating up in the last 10 games too with .333/.364.

10. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-15-2013),NebraskaRed (08-15-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-15-2013),REDREAD (08-15-2013),reds44 (08-15-2013),Tom Servo (08-15-2013)

I was thinking last night he seems to be doing much better as of late. If he can finish strong, I would bet he's still the OD CFer next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Looking at the hitter spray chart for billy here: http://mlbfarm.com/player.php?player...40&position=CF

There is an amazing number of singles (and ground outs) inside the diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I was thinking last night he seems to be doing much better as of late. If he can finish strong, I would bet he's still the OD CFer next year.
    Which leads me to wonder...

If he gets the Sept 1 call up, do we get much of a chance to see if he could possibly be the man in CF next season, or does he stay on the bench while the Reds are in a playoff chase?

Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post

If he gets the Sept 1 call up, do we get much of a chance to see if he could possibly be the man in CF next season, or does he stay on the bench while the Reds are in a playoff chase?
    pinch hit, pinch run, late defensive replacement, swapped in during blowouts - that would be my guess - the pennant race is more important than getting him on the field but he can be a weapon used correctly...an element of speed the Reds don't have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post

With his recent resurgence, I've also been wondering if maybe he does become the everyday CF before the ASB next year. Not sure about Opening Day, but with a strong spring (and maybe AFL?) you never know...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    pinch hit, pinch run, late defensive replacement, swapped in during blowouts - that would be my guess - the pennant race is more important than getting him on the field but he can be a weapon used correctly...an element of speed the Reds don't have right now.
    With Robinson in the organization, I'd prefer Billy stay in Louisville til the bitter end, getting every AB possible. What you described above is exactly what D Rob would do except Derrick has the advantage of coming up here having done it for over half a season already.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Hamilton will stay in the minors until Louisville's season ends, but their season ends the first week of Septemeber anyways, IIRC.

But to answer the original question, the only way he sees serious playing time (not as a pinch runner) is if something happens to Choo or if the Reds lock up the division early (which probably won't happen).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    With Robinson in the organization, I'd prefer Billy stay in Louisville til the bitter end, getting every AB possible. What you described above is exactly what D Rob would do except Derrick has the advantage of coming up here having done it for over half a season already.
    Robinson did what exactly? Hamilton>>>Robinson just on pinch running
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Robinson did what exactly? Hamilton>>>Robinson just on pinch running
    Exactly. Robinson is NOT able to do what Hamilton can do on the base paths alone. I also think he is probably the lesser defender and is not as fast. Robinson is fast. Hamilton is a laser beam. Saying Robinson can do the same thing is simply NOT true!

Turn Off Ads?