Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton

Re: Billy Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His K rate is identical to what it was last season in AA. It is up a tad from where it was in A+.
    I was referencing his K rate for this season. He is striking out more frequently now than he was in April and May and the stats back it up.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    I was referencing his K rate for this season. He is striking out more frequently now than he was in April and May and the stats back it up.
    Hadn't noticed it was so poor. Nearly 27% of the time since June began.

For what it's worth, there was a TV interview on FSO with Jim Riggleman (a couple weeks ago).
    They said basically that the coaching staff is trying to get Billy H to hit the ball on the ground more. Maybe that explains why he's hitting fewer balls to the OF with authority? Anyhow Riggleman even said <paraphrased> "When Billy hits the ball in the air, it's bad".

Not saying the Reds are right or wrong, just trying to relay what I heard.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Not sure Riggleman is the voice I'd like to hear from. I didn't like the tone. Griffey and Deshields had the kid humming along.

Ugh, I hate the "hit the ball on the ground" concept.

Ground balls go for a .300 average. Even higher when the batter is a speedy runner. Line drives go at a .400 clip. Fly balls? .100. Riggleman is right. Hamilton doesn't have the pop to live in the air. Keep it on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Ground balls go for a .300 average. Even higher when the batter is a speedy runner. Line drives go at a .400 clip. Fly balls? .100. Riggleman is right. Hamilton doesn't have the pop to live in the air. Keep it on the ground.
    Some of these simply aren't correct.

Line drives go for hits 72-75% of the time. Fly balls are around 22% of the time, but ones that stay in the ballpark are around 10%. Grounders are around 28%.

Still, every hitter should be up there trying to hit the ball hard. Not trying to hit it in the air or on the ground. Just hit it hard and let what happens next, happen.

For what it is worth, Hamilton has the lowest GB rate of his career this season.

9. Likes:

mdccclxix (07-25-2013)

I saw BH in person for the first time this season last night and it confirmed what I'd been reading all season. He's got a ways to go before he gets to the show and is ready to play everyday.

Jim Callis on 700wlw just said Bham has regressed and is not open to instruction.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Jim Callis on 700wlw just said Bham has regressed and is not open to instruction.
    Given that he has changed his hitting mechanics twice this season and is well known to be a very hard worker, I don't know that I believe that he isn't open to instruction.

14. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Given that he has changed his hitting mechanics twice this season and is well known to be a very hard worker, I don't know that I believe that he isn't open to instruction.
    This is puzzling. Callis is a good reporter, so I assume he heard it from someone. However, Hamilton has a bunch of faults, but not being open to instruction has never been one of them. In fact, outside of his speed, I'd say his work ethic, intelligence, and willingness to constantly adjust as he moved up the Reds system, have been his greater strengths.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

BoxingRed (08-04-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

Parks said at the BP event yesterday that sometimes he tends to think he's a power hitter and drop the shoulder and rip it instead of playing to his 80 speed. That's correctable though. Parks was very high on Stephenson though.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Not going to believe Jim. I'm going to believe Billy's coaches who have all said the guy has amazing hand eye coordination and has a great ability to make the adjustments they suggest.

The guy learned to switch hit as a pro. That's pretty amazing.

I'm not even sure you can say Billy "regressed" this year. He was aggressively promoted, and as Doug said, they've been tweaking his swing.
    Billy might not be the Reds opening day center fielder in 2014 as we hoped, but he will make the bigs eventually -- maybe not the superstar we hoped, but he's got a great chance to be an at least average CF, which is still a success.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not going to believe Jim. I'm going to believe Billy's coaches who have all said the guy has amazing hand eye coordination and has a great ability to make the adjustments they suggest.

The guy learned to switch hit as a pro. That's pretty amazing.

I'm not even sure you can say Billy "regressed" this year. He was aggressively promoted, and as Doug said, they've been tweaking his swing.
    Billy might not be the Reds opening day center fielder in 2014 as we hoped, but he will make the bigs eventually -- maybe not the superstar we hoped, but he's got a great chance to be an at least average CF, which is still a success.
    I think it is very fair to say he regressed. Walk rate down, strikeout rate up. Doesn't mean he can't rebound, but he has absolutely regressed this year.

Turn Off Ads?