Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I know it's only February but.......

I know it's only February but.......

It would be nice if we would start winning some of these spring training games, I just don't want to see a trend starting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I know it's only February but.......

Meh.. It's only February. I wonder how many players that aren't even going to be on the team that are losing the games?
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

W-L record in ST is absolutely meaningless. I mean, MEANINGLESS. Don't worry about a trend starting.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

5. Likes:

gilpdawg (03-02-2013),HeatherC1212 (03-01-2013),Revering4Blue (02-28-2013),SirFelixCat (03-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    It would be nice if we would start winning some of these spring training games, I just don't want to see a trend starting.
    lol! It seems as if we have this same discussion every spring. Records mean squat until Opening Day.

Be more concerned that the first nine regular season games are against the Angels, Nationals, and Cardinals. It could be very ugly IF the boys get off to an 0-9 start out of the gate.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    W-L record in ST is absolutely meaningless. I mean, MEANINGLESS.
    Exactly. I heard a radio interview with the Brewers manager a couple of days ago where he said that the only thing he worries about during these early ST games is who he will put into the lineup after each guy comes out. Winning the game is not a concern for the manager.
    /r/reds

Spring Training = Working not winning

Players have been in camp for something like 20 minutes.... I think they'll please us eventually

9. Likes:

Cursh14 (03-02-2013)

I don't even look at the final score honestly. I scan the box scores mainly looking for how some youngsters are doing in camp. Other than that, I am just glad to know baseball and warm weather are around the corner.

If anything I would rather have a losing record in spring training than a winning record.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

the royals are 6-0 so i wouldn't be concerned about it mattering. i'm sure royals fans are printing playoff tickets.....maybe they are lol. i loath spring training. it's about as bad as the nfl pre season.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Ya spring training means nothing

The Reds lost two games today, but I was thrilled with what happened. Chapman looked great, and was using mostly off-speed pitches. Much more important than who won.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

m21eagle45 (03-01-2013),marcshoe (03-02-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-01-2013),SirFelixCat (03-01-2013),Tommyjohn25 (03-01-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

It's the 10-12 games following the break in mid-march that are the only games I pay attention to. Those games have most of the regulars playing for most of the game as they get tuned up for the regular season. Twice through the rotation with pitchers going 5-6 innings each, as well. Outside of those games, I couldn't care less about the scores.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The only time to worry during the spring is if injuries start piling up. So far so good for the Reds on that front.
    I can remember listening to a Royals spring game on XM while driving home from work a few years back at the end of the spring. They won the game and clinched the best record in the Cactus League. By listening to their announcers you thought they had just won the World Series. IIRC, they ended last or near last that season and the spring training "title" was a distant and mostly forgotten memory.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

part of BBN

The competitor in me wants to win even these games. In the grande scheme of things though...they amount to nothing more than getting work in and avoiding injury.
    That is one thing that always aggravates me about Marty. He is constantly talking of Won/loss records in ST and saying stuff like "The reds will need to win 4 in a row to get back to the 500 mark ".....or etc.
    Most of the early games are decided by people who will not make roster or maybe by some veteran working on a certain pitch which he wouldnt do in a real game anyway.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (03-05-2013)

More interested in watching Individual players get more dialed in as STgoes on.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The only time to worry during the spring is if injuries start piling up. So far so good for the Reds on that front.
    I can remember listening to a Royals spring game on XM while driving home from work a few years back at the end of the spring. They won the game and clinched the best record in the Cactus League. By listening to their announcers you thought they had just won the World Series. IIRC, they ended last or near last that season and the spring training "title" was a distant and mostly forgotten memory.

this
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Turn Off Ads?