Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who was the Reds worst draft pick of the last 6 years?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Devin Mesoraco

1 2.63%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

4 10.53%
  • Yonder Alonso

0 0%
  • Zach Stewart

5 13.16%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

8 21.05%
  • Gabriel Rosa

11 28.95%
  • Jeff Gelalich

6 15.79%
  • Tanner Rahier

0 0%
  • Other (list below)

3 7.89%

Thread: Worst Reds Draft Pick

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Worst Reds Draft Pick

Who was the worst Reds draft pick of the last 6 years?

Devin Mesoraco (15)
    Kyle Lotzkar (53)
    Yonder Alonso (7)
    Zach Stewart (84)
    Brad Boxberger (43)
    Ryan LaMarre (62)
    Gabriel Rosa (84)
    Jeff Gelalich (57)
    Tanner Rahier (78)

For me it's a tie between Ryan LaMarre and Jeff Gelalich. Neither player had a lot of upside as a "polished" college OF when they were drafted, and neither player looks to have much of a future as a major league starter (although it's admittedly still VERY early for Gelalich and a lot can change.) Also, I didn't like either pick at the time - especially Gelalich. I don't fault the Reds for taking a shot on the upside of Lotzkar, who's been doomed by injuries, or Rosa & Rahier - both of whom are still very young and have PLENTY of time to turn things around. Even if they don't, I don't fault the Reds in going for the high risk high reward players.

I think we would all agree the 2006 draft was the Reds worst of the Buckley era with Drew Stubbs taken 8th overall (immediately after Kershaw and 2 picks before Lincecum and Scherzer) and Sean Watson taken 52nd overall (who only made 4 appearances above AA ball before retiring.)
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-11-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?