Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who was the Reds worst draft pick of the last 6 years?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Devin Mesoraco

1 2.63%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

4 10.53%
  • Yonder Alonso

0 0%
  • Zach Stewart

5 13.16%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

8 21.05%
  • Gabriel Rosa

11 28.95%
  • Jeff Gelalich

6 15.79%
  • Tanner Rahier

0 0%
  • Other (list below)

3 7.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Reds Draft Pick

Re: Worst Reds Draft Pick

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Most people at the time wanted Gordon Beckham or Justin Smoak.

Ike Davis and Brett Lawrie have turned out to be the best infielders (so far) from that draft, and both went about 10 picks after Alonso was picked. Another 1B Eric Hosmer was selected a couple picks before Alonso.

Buster Posey (5th overall) was clearly the pick of that draft.
    I love the Alonso pick. Alonso basically yielded us Latos. Phenomenal pick in my opinion. He became an instant wild card (or trade bait) for us. We already had Votto, probably knew Alonso wouldn't be our big league 1B, so they picked him knowing his floor was very high. His ceiling maybe not so high, but you could trade him easily after a good start to his minor league career.

The Brewers did the same with Matt LaPorta for CC. These low floor hitting 1B are "relatively" easy to come by, yet teams still like to trade for them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Lamarre had some solid statistics coming out of UM his senior year, but that senior year was inflated by a ridiculous .463 BABIP. He never was a toolsy guy and his ceiling is as you list: a starter on some bad to decent teams in centerfield based upon his glove, but a fourth outfielder for a contending team. Certainly, a Ryan Lamarre won't cost you many games, but he is never going to be an all-star.
    1. Lamarre was selected in the second round. He had to have some physical tools to merit such a high pick. He's clearly grades out as having 'plus' tools in defense and baserunning, has at least an average throwing tool, and was thought to have a chance of developing an average hit and power tool. Clearly, the best case scenario has not panned out and his hit tool has remained below average and his power tool is closer to 20 than 50. On the plus side, his plate discipline has enabled him to get on base at an above-average clip despite the below average hit tool.

2. I don't think you can say he is starter only on bad teams and a backup on good teams. In the right situation, his skills could be a boon for even a very good team. The 2010-2011 Yankees did just fine with Brett Gardner patrolling the OF, and he played a corner more often than CF.

3. I agree that Lamarre is highly unlikely to ever be an All-Star. But I disagree that all of the other guys listed have All-Star potential. Mesoraco is the only guy on that list I would say has a solid chance of developing into an All-Star.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 04-12-2013 at 06:40 PM.

In what year was Ty Howington and Chris Gruler drafted? Big time promise, big time busts, couldnt stay healthy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cjtenn28 View Post
    In what year was Ty Howington and Chris Gruler drafted? Big time promise, big time busts, couldnt stay healthy.
    Guys that can't stay healthy aren't busts. Guys that stay healthy but can't perform are.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Guys that can't stay healthy aren't busts. Guys that stay healthy but can't perform are.
    I disagree.

When you invest seven-digits in a guy and get nothing, he is a bust. It doesn't mean it was a bad decision to draft him at the time, but he is definitely a bust.

Honestly, this is a ridiculous idea for a poll.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds took Chad Mattola insted of Jeter if memory serves me right. Regardless, John Oliver might had been the worst draft pick ever, by any team.
    Mottola has made it to the majors...He is currently the Blue Jays hitting coach.
    Did he teach Encarnacion how to hit? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Honestly, this is a ridiculous idea for a poll.
    Uh, why?
    Go BLUE!!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I thought this was a Johnny Oliver thread, but then I realized it's just the past six years.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I disagree.

When you invest seven-digits in a guy and get nothing, he is a bust. It doesn't mean it was a bad decision to draft him at the time, but he is definitely a bust.
    It really depends on how one defines the term 'bust.' Saying it is or isn't, without an agreed upon conventional definition, is pointless.

Personally I think guys who play well when healthy, but can't stay healthy, aren't busts.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I disagree.

To me, when people use bust, they are pointing to the player as failing. When a player isn't given a fair opportunity because of an injury, I don't see that as failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    It really depends on how one defines the term 'bust.' Saying it is or isn't, without an agreed upon conventional definition, is pointless.

Personally I think guys who play well when healthy, but can't stay healthy, aren't busts.
    I feel like if you spent all the time scouting a guy..as well as other guys who you determine arent as good. And then that guy never inturn produces at the major league level he is a bust. staying healthy has nothing to do with it. Actually, I would go as far as saying that if a guy gets hurt and doesnt play than he would be the definition of a bust. Greg Oden was a BUST in the NBA. Him getting hurt/Portland taking a risk on him knowing his history severely hurt portland in every way imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    I feel like if you spent all the time scouting a guy..as well as other guys who you determine arent as good. And then that guy never inturn produces at the major league level he is a bust. staying healthy has nothing to do with it. Actually, I would go as far as saying that if a guy gets hurt and doesnt play than he would be the definition of a bust. Greg Oden was a BUST in the NBA. Him getting hurt/Portland taking a risk on him knowing his history severely hurt portland in every way imaginable.
    You don't see a difference between a guy not getting the job done and a guy not having a chance to get the job done?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You don't see a difference between a guy not getting the job done and a guy not having a chance to get the job done?
    I think he's saying they're one and the same. The reasons for not getting the job done are different, but the result is the same.

How is Devin Lohman not on this list?

Even though Lamarre hasn't worked out as planned, I can at least see the upside with him because of his defense, speed and his ability to get on base. He may have still been a reach, but I can understand the logic, even if it doesn't pan out.

Lohman for me was easily the biggest head scratcher pick the Reds have made in the Buckley era, considering, he was a 3rd round pick. What was to like at draft time? And what's to like now?

He can't hit, he's not fast, he's not a defensive whiz, his power is average. About the only skill he has is that he can take a walk.

About the best that Lohman can hope for is that his career follows a similar trajectory to Jack Hannahan. Lohman should start learning to play some 3B and 1B. Even Hannahan's career may be a big reach for Lohman.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 04-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Turn Off Ads?