Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who was the Reds worst draft pick of the last 6 years?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Devin Mesoraco

1 2.63%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

4 10.53%
  • Yonder Alonso

0 0%
  • Zach Stewart

5 13.16%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

8 21.05%
  • Gabriel Rosa

11 28.95%
  • Jeff Gelalich

6 15.79%
  • Tanner Rahier

0 0%
  • Other (list below)

3 7.89%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Reds Draft Pick

Worst Reds Draft Pick

Who was the worst Reds draft pick of the last 6 years?

Devin Mesoraco (15)
    Kyle Lotzkar (53)
    Yonder Alonso (7)
    Zach Stewart (84)
    Brad Boxberger (43)
    Ryan LaMarre (62)
    Gabriel Rosa (84)
    Jeff Gelalich (57)
    Tanner Rahier (78)

For me it's a tie between Ryan LaMarre and Jeff Gelalich. Neither player had a lot of upside as a "polished" college OF when they were drafted, and neither player looks to have much of a future as a major league starter (although it's admittedly still VERY early for Gelalich and a lot can change.) Also, I didn't like either pick at the time - especially Gelalich. I don't fault the Reds for taking a shot on the upside of Lotzkar, who's been doomed by injuries, or Rosa & Rahier - both of whom are still very young and have PLENTY of time to turn things around. Even if they don't, I don't fault the Reds in going for the high risk high reward players.

I think we would all agree the 2006 draft was the Reds worst of the Buckley era with Drew Stubbs taken 8th overall (immediately after Kershaw and 2 picks before Lincecum and Scherzer) and Sean Watson taken 52nd overall (who only made 4 appearances above AA ball before retiring.)
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-11-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Worst Reds Draft Pick

2007 3rd rounder Scott Carroll - the guy is now 28 years old, has never made the majors, is in another organization, and brought nothing in return. IMO he is the only guy that can be called a BAD pick in taken in the first three rounds of the last six years. All of the guys you listed have either already helped the Reds via trade (Stewart, Alonso, Boxberger) or still have the potential to be useful to Reds on the field or in a trade. It's too soon to call any of them BAD picks.

Also, I agree that the 2006 draft sucked, but Drew Stubbs was a solid pick. They can't all be All-Stars. At least the Reds got a major league starter, which is more than most teams can say they got in the 2006 first round. Yes, Linecum and Scherzer were taken after him, but so were plenty of guys who never made it to the majors or who made it to the majors and fell flat on their faces. Stubbs might not have been the optimal pick, but he was a pretty good pick.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 04-12-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I went with LaMarre. Very little upside and very unimpressive results to date. Much better players on the board at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I went with LaMarre. Very little upside and very unimpressive results to date. Much better players on the board at the time.
    Lamarr gets a bad rap IMO.

His upside is a defense-first CF who can run the bases and has decent on-base skills. If his defense is as advertised and he can keep his OBP near his minor league levels, he could be a useful starter for some major league teams.

John Oliver. (No, not the English comic.)

1996. Could have had Jeter. Instead, Bowden and company went with a kid that couldn't see. Literally. Dude was night blind.

The past six years have been among the best ever for Cincinnati in terms of drafting. Very, very few boneheaded moves and quite a few smash success stories.

Jocketty and company are killing it, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

1996. Could have had Jeter. Instead, Bowden and company went with a kid that couldn't see. Literally. Dude was night blind.

The past six years have been among the best ever for Cincinnati in terms of drafting. Very, very few boneheaded moves and quite a few smash success stories.

Bowden argues he was an assistant to an assistant on the Jeter draft and had no say at all. He is like livid when people say that was his draft.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

That was probably 1992, not 1996.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

The people who voted for Zach Stewart should be voted off the island. That was a really good pick in the third round.

Gabriel Rosa takes the cake for me. Analysts thought it was a reach at the time and it sure looks like it was. His professional numbers -- albeit in a small sample size -- have been dreadful for a second-round pick. It's difficult to beat out Ryan LaMarre for this award, but Rosa has to the leader in the clubhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Reds took Chad Mattola insted of Jeter if memory serves me right. Regardless, John Oliver might had been the worst draft pick ever, by any team.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Here is an article about the whole Jeter/Mottola draft and it also mentions John Oliver in it as well. It was written in 99 but still gives insight about it all.

http://reds.enquirer.com/1999/10/15/..._it_could.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    The people who voted for Zach Stewart should be voted off the island. That was a really good pick in the third round.
    Yep, any draft pick that can be traded for help on the major league level is a success, IMO.

Young pitching is a valuable currency in trading. It's not a bad idea to pick someone that other teams eventually covet.

Yea, I know. if the Reds kept Stewart, he'd be considered a bust, and it's not completely fair to grade a draft pick based on whether he's traded or not, but I'm sure glad we drafted him, since it brought Rolen here.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I went with Gelalich, one of those, "why?", moments when I heard they had picked him. Nothing to turn that opinion around since.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Lamarr gets a bad rap IMO.

His upside is a defense-first CF who can run the bases and has decent on-base skills. If his defense is as advertised and he can keep his OBP near his minor league levels, he could be a useful starter for some major league teams.
    First off, my pick of Lamarre is based upon the names listed and not John Oliver and Chad Motolla.

Lamarre had some solid statistics coming out of UM his senior year, but that senior year was inflated by a ridiculous .463 BABIP. He never was a toolsy guy and his ceiling is as you list: a starter on some bad to decent teams in centerfield based upon his glove, but a fourth outfielder for a contending team. Certainly, a Ryan Lamarre won't cost you many games, but he is never going to be an all-star.

Granted, he was taken #62 overall and it's not like he was taken over guaranteed successes, but Drew Smyly, Andrelton Simmons, Addison Reed, Tyler Thornburg & Rob Brantly were all drafted after Lamarre and have already had success in the majors.

Most of the other guys listed on this poll have/had upside that could lead them to becoming an all-star. I don't think that was ever a possibility for Lamarre.

This pick comes down to personal preference because I would rather have upside out of my minor league system rather than guys who have a better possibility of being back-ups, like Lamarre.

Was there anyone good on the board when the Reds took Alonso? I am trying to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Was there anyone good on the board when the Reds took Alonso? I am trying to remember.
    Most people at the time wanted Gordon Beckham or Justin Smoak.

Ike Davis and Brett Lawrie have turned out to be the best infielders (so far) from that draft, and both went about 10 picks after Alonso was picked. Another 1B Eric Hosmer was selected a couple picks before Alonso.

Buster Posey (5th overall) was clearly the pick of that draft.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?