Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 200

Thread: Zack Greinke broke his collarbone

  1. #1
    Member 5TimeWSChamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Zack Greinke broke his collarbone

    In the brawl tonight with San Diego.

    Carlos Quentin is in for a nice long suspension

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,508

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    Do you get extra games for someone getting hurt? It can always happen if there is a brawl.

  4. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,846

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    This is getting crazy. Marty Caswell, a reporter in the LA area just tweeted this:

    Players just ran out of Dodgers clubhouse...appears Matt Kemp and Carlos Quentin went after it in players parking lot

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,508

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    Its insane and im guessing he's out months?

  6. #5
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,499

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    I'm wondering as well what the time frame on his return is.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  7. #6
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    885

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    Unless Grienke verbally threatened Quentin's children or grandmother, Quentin comes off as a real jerk here.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

    Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

    *UPDATED: 2/11/2014

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    Quentin is/was a fool for thinking it was intentional. Why would he or anyone think Greinke would want to hit him on the 6th pitch of the AB at 88 pitches in a 2-1 game to start the 6th when the first 5 weren't anywhere close to him? If for some reason they were stupid enough to hit him it wouldn't have taken 6 tries to do so and if it did everyone would have caught on by 2 or 3 attempts.

    The fact he did plunk him resulted in a ND so that should show how dumb it was to think it was intentional. They should have 15 more times to get him this year later rather than doing it in that spot. Also Mattingly should get credit for a BS in that as he used Capuano to face Yonder who owns him at 4-for-10 with a BB before tying the game up as the next hitter.

    They would never be able to do it since the MLBPA would flip but I wish he would get suspended for as long as Greinke is out just for being so ignorant to the situation. The dude is already 49th All-time in HBP and has just played 710 games and was hit the same amount of times in just 402 Minor league games so its clearly a major part of his game and his own fault so its unbelievably dumb to get upset at all.
    Last edited by HometownHero; 04-12-2013 at 03:31 AM.

  9. #8
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,255

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    Quentin should get no longer suspension than anybody else does for a normal brawl. Just because he actually did some damage (which happens when grown men are fighting) doesn't mean he deserves anything but the norm. I mean, when a dude charges the mound what do you think he's trying to do? He's trying to beat the hell out of the guy. Why else would you charge the mound? It's not like Quentin went out there and whacked him with his bat or something. He was a bigger guy. Grienke decided to throw a shoulder into him, and you see the results.

    Cueto literally ended Jason LaRue's career and all he got was the norm. I hope anybody who calls for Quentin sitting out until Grienke gets back thinks Cueto should have been kicked out of baseball. If baseball was really interested in stopping brawls (they aren't) it would have started putting in stricker penalties a long time ago.

    As for Quentin, I agree there's no way it was intentional, but Quentin gets hit ALL the time and this was his 3rd HBP against Grienke. I understand how he could be angry, even if it wasn't intentional. If you look at the video, Quentin wasn't charging the mound either until Grienke said something to him.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-12-2013 at 04:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If you look at the video, Quentin wasn't charging the mound either until Grienke said something to him.
    But he didn't say anything until after Quentin turned after getting hit and started to stare him down. That 3rd HBP was in his 32nd PA and isn't near as often as he's been hit by others so he shouldn't even looked out to the mound since getting hit is such a big part of his game.

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ubmitter=1&z=1

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    913

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Quentin should get no longer suspension than anybody else does for a normal brawl. Just because he actually did some damage (which happens when grown men are fighting) doesn't mean he deserves anything but the norm. I mean, when a dude charges the mound what do you think he's trying to do? He's trying to beat the hell out of the guy. Why else would you charge the mound? It's not like Quentin went out there and whacked him with his bat or something. He was a bigger guy. Grienke decided to throw a shoulder into him, and you see the results.

    Cueto literally ended Jason LaRue's career and all he got was the norm. I hope anybody who calls for Quentin sitting out until Grienke gets back thinks Cueto should have been kicked out of baseball. If baseball was really interested in stopping brawls (they aren't) it would have started putting in stricker penalties a long time ago.

    As for Quentin, I agree there's no way it was intentional, but Quentin gets hit ALL the time and this was his 3rd HBP against Grienke. I understand how he could be angry, even if it wasn't intentional. If you look at the video, Quentin wasn't charging the mound either until Grienke said something to him.
    LaRue's career was already over.

    Quentin will probably get the usual. Yet you can bet his already high hbp numbers will go up. I am sure there are pitchers league wide who will gladly put one in his earhole after this.

    As for him charging the mound at a weird time, I can pretty much guarantee before the game he was thinking "if he hits me, I am charging the mound." It didn't really matter the count or the point in the game. Some guys just get it in their head certain players have it out for them and logic just doesn't apply.

    As for only charging once Greinke said something, Quentin was already walking towards the mound. It looked to me like Greinke just said "what?" and then Quentin charged. Quentin already had charging the mound on his mind.
    Last edited by scott91575; 04-12-2013 at 05:15 AM.

  12. #11
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,255

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    His career wasn't already over. Yeah he sucked, but Cueto literally ended his career. He never played again because Cueto dome rocked him with spikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  13. #12
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,043

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    video
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...ews_la&c_id=la
    It doesn't look like Geinke says anything until after Quentin starts charging the mound at which point he says the f word and drops his glove.- see about 3 minutes in where there is a closeup of Greinke.

    Kemp looks like the big jerk here. His reaction is the only thing that, given the circumstances, makes it look like it could have been intentional. The fight itself wasn't that egregious- there was no kicking, bats, punches, etc.

  14. #13
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,005

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    Grienke probably broke his collarbone when he dipped his shoulder into Quentin. That was dumb on his part. More dumb of Quentin for charging the mound. Apparently there is a history between these two. Heard on the radio Greinke had hit him three previous times. Although the last time was in 2009. Quentin should get the max penalty for this,IMO,whatever that is. Kemp will probably get suspended for a while too for going after Quentin after the game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  15. #14
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,750

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    video
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...ews_la&c_id=la
    It doesn't look like Geinke says anything until after Quentin starts charging the mound at which point he says the f word and drops his glove.- see about 3 minutes in where there is a closeup of Greinke.

    Kemp looks like the big jerk here. His reaction is the only thing that, given the circumstances, makes it look like it could have been intentional. The fight itself wasn't that egregious- there was no kicking, bats, punches, etc.
    The inning before, Marquis threw a pitch over the head of Kemp. I imagine he was still upset over that, and many Padres thought that Greinke's pitch was retaliation.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  16. #15
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,070

    Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

    So who broke what unwritten rule?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25