Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Zack Greinke broke his collarbone

Zack Greinke broke his collarbone

In the brawl tonight with San Diego.

Carlos Quentin is in for a nice long suspension

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

Do you get extra games for someone getting hurt? It can always happen if there is a brawl.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

This is getting crazy. Marty Caswell, a reporter in the LA area just tweeted this:

Players just ran out of Dodgers clubhouse...appears Matt Kemp and Carlos Quentin went after it in players parking lot

Its insane and im guessing he's out months?

I'm wondering as well what the time frame on his return is.

They call me "chef"

Unless Grienke verbally threatened Quentin's children or grandmother, Quentin comes off as a real jerk here.

Quentin is/was a fool for thinking it was intentional. Why would he or anyone think Greinke would want to hit him on the 6th pitch of the AB at 88 pitches in a 2-1 game to start the 6th when the first 5 weren't anywhere close to him? If for some reason they were stupid enough to hit him it wouldn't have taken 6 tries to do so and if it did everyone would have caught on by 2 or 3 attempts.

The fact he did plunk him resulted in a ND so that should show how dumb it was to think it was intentional. They should have 15 more times to get him this year later rather than doing it in that spot. Also Mattingly should get credit for a BS in that as he used Capuano to face Yonder who owns him at 4-for-10 with a BB before tying the game up as the next hitter.

They would never be able to do it since the MLBPA would flip but I wish he would get suspended for as long as Greinke is out just for being so ignorant to the situation. The dude is already 49th All-time in HBP and has just played 710 games and was hit the same amount of times in just 402 Minor league games so its clearly a major part of his game and his own fault so its unbelievably dumb to get upset at all.
    Last edited by HometownHero; 04-12-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Quentin should get no longer suspension than anybody else does for a normal brawl. Just because he actually did some damage (which happens when grown men are fighting) doesn't mean he deserves anything but the norm. I mean, when a dude charges the mound what do you think he's trying to do? He's trying to beat the hell out of the guy. Why else would you charge the mound? It's not like Quentin went out there and whacked him with his bat or something. He was a bigger guy. Grienke decided to throw a shoulder into him, and you see the results.

Cueto literally ended Jason LaRue's career and all he got was the norm. I hope anybody who calls for Quentin sitting out until Grienke gets back thinks Cueto should have been kicked out of baseball. If baseball was really interested in stopping brawls (they aren't) it would have started putting in stricker penalties a long time ago.

As for Quentin, I agree there's no way it was intentional, but Quentin gets hit ALL the time and this was his 3rd HBP against Grienke. I understand how he could be angry, even if it wasn't intentional. If you look at the video, Quentin wasn't charging the mound either until Grienke said something to him.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-12-2013 at 04:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If you look at the video, Quentin wasn't charging the mound either until Grienke said something to him.
    But he didn't say anything until after Quentin turned after getting hit and started to stare him down. That 3rd HBP was in his 32nd PA and isn't near as often as he's been hit by others so he shouldn't even looked out to the mound since getting hit is such a big part of his game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ubmitter=1&z=1

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Quentin should get no longer suspension than anybody else does for a normal brawl. Just because he actually did some damage (which happens when grown men are fighting) doesn't mean he deserves anything but the norm. I mean, when a dude charges the mound what do you think he's trying to do? He's trying to beat the hell out of the guy. Why else would you charge the mound? It's not like Quentin went out there and whacked him with his bat or something. He was a bigger guy. Grienke decided to throw a shoulder into him, and you see the results.

Cueto literally ended Jason LaRue's career and all he got was the norm. I hope anybody who calls for Quentin sitting out until Grienke gets back thinks Cueto should have been kicked out of baseball. If baseball was really interested in stopping brawls (they aren't) it would have started putting in stricker penalties a long time ago.

As for Quentin, I agree there's no way it was intentional, but Quentin gets hit ALL the time and this was his 3rd HBP against Grienke. I understand how he could be angry, even if it wasn't intentional. If you look at the video, Quentin wasn't charging the mound either until Grienke said something to him.
    LaRue's career was already over.

Quentin will probably get the usual. Yet you can bet his already high hbp numbers will go up. I am sure there are pitchers league wide who will gladly put one in his earhole after this.

As for him charging the mound at a weird time, I can pretty much guarantee before the game he was thinking "if he hits me, I am charging the mound." It didn't really matter the count or the point in the game. Some guys just get it in their head certain players have it out for them and logic just doesn't apply.

As for only charging once Greinke said something, Quentin was already walking towards the mound. It looked to me like Greinke just said "what?" and then Quentin charged. Quentin already had charging the mound on his mind.
    Last edited by scott91575; 04-12-2013 at 05:15 AM.

His career wasn't already over. Yeah he sucked, but Cueto literally ended his career. He never played again because Cueto dome rocked him with spikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

video
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...ews_la&c_id=la
    It doesn't look like Geinke says anything until after Quentin starts charging the mound at which point he says the f word and drops his glove.- see about 3 minutes in where there is a closeup of Greinke.

Kemp looks like the big jerk here. His reaction is the only thing that, given the circumstances, makes it look like it could have been intentional. The fight itself wasn't that egregious- there was no kicking, bats, punches, etc.

Grienke probably broke his collarbone when he dipped his shoulder into Quentin. That was dumb on his part. More dumb of Quentin for charging the mound. Apparently there is a history between these two. Heard on the radio Greinke had hit him three previous times. Although the last time was in 2009. Quentin should get the max penalty for this,IMO,whatever that is. Kemp will probably get suspended for a while too for going after Quentin after the game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    video
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...ews_la&c_id=la
    It doesn't look like Geinke says anything until after Quentin starts charging the mound at which point he says the f word and drops his glove.- see about 3 minutes in where there is a closeup of Greinke.

Kemp looks like the big jerk here. His reaction is the only thing that, given the circumstances, makes it look like it could have been intentional. The fight itself wasn't that egregious- there was no kicking, bats, punches, etc.
    The inning before, Marquis threw a pitch over the head of Kemp. I imagine he was still upset over that, and many Padres thought that Greinke's pitch was retaliation.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

So who broke what unwritten rule?

Turn Off Ads?