Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zack Greinke broke his collarbone

Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

I think its a little funny that people think Greinke is responsible for breaking his own collarbone.

You're out there in the heat of combat, trying to make effective pitches, thinking strategy, struggling to get guys out, and one gets away from you and hits the guy. I think Greinke's body language said "crap, I didn't want to do that, another guy on, is Skip going to take me out?".

And then big 6-3 240 lb. guy thinks back over the grudges he's held against this pitcher over the years and decides to mouth off. Grienke is already pissed off at himself and says "oh yeah, your mother too, butthead" and all of a sudden, he's confronted with a blitzing linebacker.

Not exactly the time to think "oh dear, what is the best way to handle this unfortunate situation? Golly, what shall I do?".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

Screwball (04-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

So how does this end?

Next time they play, someone is going to plunk somebody and then someone will plunk someone and so on and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    So how does this end?

Next time they play, someone is going to plunk somebody and then someone will plunk someone and so on and so on.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think its a little funny that people think Greinke is responsible for breaking his own collarbone.

You're out there in the heat of combat, trying to make effective pitches, thinking strategy, struggling to get guys out, and one gets away from you and hits the guy. I think Greinke's body language said "crap, I didn't want to do that, another guy on, is Skip going to take me out?".

And then big 6-3 240 lb. guy thinks back over the grudges he's held against this pitcher over the years and decides to mouth off. Grienke is already pissed off at himself and says "oh yeah, your mother too, butthead" and all of a sudden, he's confronted with a blitzing linebacker.

Not exactly the time to think "oh dear, what is the best way to handle this unfortunate situation? Golly, what shall I do?".
    If you start giving out "heat of combat" passes, then Quentin might want to apply for one too. I think he could come up with a pretty substantial "heat of combat" excuse for his actions too. After all, he was the guy hit with a Grienke fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you start giving out "heat of combat" passes, then Quentin might want to apply for one too. I think he could come up with a pretty substantial "heat of combat" excuse for his actions too. After all, he was the guy hit with a Grienke fastball.
    Ah poo, I guess I didn't make myself very clear.

My point was about the comments about Greinke lowering his shoulder instead of doing a bullfighter ole. I just don't think he gave it a lot of thought.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I like this rule. Make it happen. Don't leave the bench or you are suspended.
    It's not really fair to let 9 guys on the field take on a charging batter and whatever runners might be on base. Baseball "brawls" are usually just pushing and shoving anyway with guys yelling at each other until it get diffused.

Once in a while you get an unfortunate situation where someone gets hurt, but it's pretty rare. Let's be honest, it's kind of fun to watch a good bean ball war unfold.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    It's not really fair to let 9 guys on the field take on a charging batter and whatever runners might be on base. Baseball "brawls" are usually just pushing and shoving anyway with guys yelling at each other until it get diffused.

Once in a while you get an unfortunate situation where someone gets hurt, but it's pretty rare. Let's be honest, it's kind of fun to watch a good bean ball war unfold.
    You are right. Anyone that leaves their position, 10 game suspension. You leave the bench, it is 15 games. You charge the mound, it is 20 games.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    I wonder what that chart looks like for Choo.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You are right. Anyone that leaves their position, 10 game suspension. You leave the bench, it is 15 games. You charge the mound, it is 20 games.
    And punishment for the pitcher who commits assault?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And punishment for the pitcher who commits assault?
    Accident or not, he hit someone with a ball...

Re: Zack Greinke broke his collarbone

If I'm the Dodgers, I bring up the worst pitcher on my 40 man roster to start tomorrow night, hit as many Padres as possible until you get thrown out, then bring in the original starter

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    If I'm the Dodgers, I bring up the worst pitcher on my 40 man roster to start tomorrow night, hit as many Padres as possible until you get thrown out, then bring in the original starter
    seems like a horrible ideal

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I still don't get the thought that this couldn't be intentional. Once the count hits 3-2 if Greinke wasn't confident in his stuff at that juncture and weighed the percentages, there may have been no time like the present to plunk him. We will never know, but too many people are ruling that out.
    FWIW, you've brought me around to the fact that it's at least a possibility. I'll admit I at first said "No way Greinke would be throwing at him on a 3-2 count in a one-run game." And I still don't think he was. However, I'm not 100 percent sure and it would be foolish to pretend as if we know for sure.

Again, if I'm betting my life, I would say Greinke wasn't throwing at him, but who knows.

I also agree with Roy Tucker that it's a lot easier said than done to say "Greinke should have done this and that" while Quentin was charging at him. Not much time to think and you're about to get in a fight. You don't always make the best choice and you don't have time to sit there and ponder your options. I'm sure Greinke wishes he would have given Quentin the 'ole like Dorn did with ground balls in the movie Major League. But that's easier said than done in the heat of the moment.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm in the minority. I'm on Quentin's side.

If Greinke doesn't get hurt, this is a typical brawl and it's forgotten by now.

Simply unfortunate that Greinke got hurt, but it happens.

Quentin has been hit 3 times by Greinke (I think I read it that correctly?). There's something up with that, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    FWIW, you've brought me around to the fact that it's at least a possibility. I'll admit I at first said "No way Greinke would be throwing at him on a 3-2 count in a one-run game." And I still don't think he was. However, I'm not 100 percent sure and it would be foolish to pretend as if we know for sure.

Again, if I'm betting my life, I would say Greinke wasn't throwing at him, but who knows.

I also agree with Roy Tucker that it's a lot easier said than done to say "Greinke should have done this and that" while Quentin was charging at him. Not much time to think and you're about to get in a fight. You don't always make the best choice and you don't have time to sit there and ponder your options. I'm sure Greinke wishes he would have given Quentin the 'ole like Dorn did with ground balls in the movie Major League. But that's easier said than done in the heat of the moment.
    Yeah, I'm on board with everything you said. It certainly is an interesting discussion to have as there are so many gray areas involved. With all respect anyone who thinks there is an easy answer to ending situations like this isn't considering the unintended consequence of whatever solution they may have.

If you bring the hammer down on guys charging the mound and entering the fray, do you continue to let pitchers hit batters with no consequences? I can come up with a devil's advocate answer to pretty much any solution people have...and if I can't I'm more than willing to go along with an idea.

It's a delicate situation when you have 90 mph fastballs hitting batters but you don't know the intention of the pitcher. In hindsight, Quentin should have walked down to first base and this would be over. But there may be things we just don't know. What did Greinke say? Did Greinke give Quentin the stinkeye at some point before the HBP or after that we are not aware of? Quentin was wrong, but if Greinke hits him with a 90 mph fastball and in someway provoked Quentin, I can understand him charging...heat of the moment and all. I'm afraid we will just never know all the variables in this one.

Turn Off Ads?