Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Zack Greinke broke his collarbone

Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    There are actually REDS fans who believe the idiotic myth that Cueto ended LaRue's career? Hahaha! I thought only Cardinal fans were foolish enough to believe such nonsense.

That was the tail end of LaRue's last season. He wasn't coming back the next year any way (unless he wanted to play for the Newark Bears, St. Paul Saints or go to Japan if you get my drift).
    How is it a myth? Sure, you have to put context to it. LaRue was at the 17th or 18th hole of his career and it was the last in a long line of concussions, but that was the incident that literally ended his career. He never appeared in a game again. You can try to rationalize it all you want, but that's what happened. Not to mention kicking a dude in the head with your spikes is worse than throwing a shoulder into a guy.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-12-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

As for the argument Quentin was "standing right on the plate."

A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't think Greinke intended to hit Quentin.

After the ball hits Quentin, Greinke's shoulders and head drop, and he exhales -- the body language of frustration. If he had meant to hit Quentin, he would have stood tall and puffed up his chest to show aggression.

However, I believe that what Greinke said after that definitely provoked Quentin to charge the mound, so in that respect, Greinke was most likely being a punk.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

LaRue had already announced his intention to retire ate the end of the season. So, he had already concluded his career was overand, at most, Cueto cost him a few games. However, having said that, LaRue (who was always one of my favorite players), shouldn't have been there, ganging up with other Cards to back Cueto into a corner where they could beat on him at will.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    LaRue had already announced his intention to retire ate the end of the season. So, he had already concluded his career was overand, at most, Cueto cost him a few games. However, having said that, LaRue (who was always one of my favorite players), shouldn't have been there, ganging up with other Cards to back Cueto into a corner where they could beat on him at will.

Rem
    Is this sarcasm? Because that's really not even close to what happened.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    When Frazier was hit last week, the first thing Molina did was stand between him and the pitcher. He knew exactly what he was doing.
    Good call...I remember thinking that there was some words before that and it was intentional, or that he was just going out there just in case. Wasn't anything to it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    As for the argument Quentin was "standing right on the plate."

Screen cap of him getting hit? What I've read is that Quentin both dives at the plate in his swing (generally speaking) and makes no attempt to get out of the way.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-12-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Screen cap of him getting hit?
    No, but here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrAhpx47do

Quentin should get no longer suspension than anybody else does for a normal brawl. Just because he actually did some damage (which happens when grown men are fighting) doesn't mean he deserves anything but the norm. I mean, when a dude charges the mound what do you think he's trying to do? He's trying to beat the hell out of the guy. Why else would you charge the mound? It's not like Quentin went out there and whacked him with his bat or something. He was a bigger guy. Grienke decided to throw a shoulder into him, and you see the results.

Cueto literally ended Jason LaRue's career and all he got was the norm. I hope anybody who calls for Quentin sitting out until Grienke gets back thinks Cueto should have been kicked out of baseball. If baseball was really interested in stopping brawls (they aren't) it would have started putting in stricker penalties a long time ago.

As for Quentin, I agree there's no way it was intentional, but Quentin gets hit ALL the time and this was his 3rd HBP against Grienke. I understand how he could be angry, even if it wasn't intentional. If you look at the video, Quentin wasn't charging the mound either until Grienke said something to him.
    Quite honestly, I've always thought LaRue's career ended because he simply wasn't a very good baseball player anymore.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

There are actually REDS fans who believe the idiotic myth that Cueto ended LaRue's career? Hahaha! I thought only Cardinal fans were foolish enough to believe such nonsense.

That was the tail end of LaRue's last season. He wasn't coming back the next year any way (unless he wanted to play for the Newark Bears, St. Paul Saints or go to Japan if you get my drift).
    LaRue's career was already over. Cueto just finalized it.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

How is it a myth? Sure, you have to put context to it. LaRue was at the 17th or 18th hole of his career and it was the last in a long line of concussions, but that was the incident that literally ended his career. He never appeared in a game again. You can try to rationalize it all you want, but that's what happened. Not to mention kicking a dude in the head with your spikes is worse than throwing a shoulder into a guy.
    How about the context of the situation? Cueto was pinned against the ball by dozens of players. There's no evidence he purposefully kicked LaRue in the head. He panicked and was trying to keep from getting crushed. Period. Quentin charged the mound looking to intentionally hurt someone. And he did. Both situations suck, but Quentin instigated his situation. Cueto didn't.

His career wasn't already over. Yeah he sucked, but Cueto literally ended his career. He never played again because Cueto dome rocked him with spikes.
    No, it wasn't sarcasm but at least you had the courtsey to ask, so, I'll return the favor.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    No, it wasn't sarcasm but at least you had the courtsey to ask, so, I'll return the favor.

Rem
    The Cardinals were trying to pin Cueto so they could all beat him up? What? Nobody was trying to hit Cueto. He was one of 50 players in a scrum and something was going on with Carpenter/Dusty and he ended up in the wrong place and started wildly kicking. He's the only one who threw any punches/kicks. Saying the Cardinals were trying to beat him up is hilarious and inaccurate.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-12-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Unwritten rules:

We had the big unwritten rule discussion earlier, but I'd like to bring it back for this case.

As far as I can tell (because it's unwritten) there are two different, opposite unwritten rule issues going on here:

1. If you get hit by a pitch, you rub dirt on it and take your base.
    2. If you get hit by a pitch, you charge the mound.

Then there is the pitching side
    1. If you intentially pop a guy, you have to stay on the mound while the other guy takes a run at you.
    2. If you don't hit the guy on purpose you have to stay on the mound while the other guy takes a run at you.
    3. If you're the 1B, you have to intercept the guy running to the mound.
    4. If you're in the bullpen, you have to run towards the fight and pretend to protect the pitcher. Even if you don't actually do anything other then show up.

Am I missing any?
    Possibly the Borbon Addendum which requires the last bullpenner to join the fray is required to pick up and don the opposing team's cap. And then try to chew it to pieces upon realizing what he has done.

To be honest, I am not sure why the bullpens have to run all the way to the infield. That is when things are generally starting to quiet down. Let the opposing bullpens square off in centerfield. This will also give the people in the outfield bleachers (i.e. cheap seats) a closer look at the proceedings.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Being a Reds fan shouldn't sway your belief one way or the other.

Turn Off Ads?