Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Zack Greinke broke his collarbone

Re: Zack Greineke broke his collarbone

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Are pitchers are allowed to charge the batters?
    I give you the great Paul Wilson v Kyle Farnsworth brouhaha.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mt0_0k40t4

This shouldn't count because it was pitcher charging pitcher.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Being a Reds fan shouldn't sway your belief one way or the other.
    You're right. Myths shouldn't be believed regardless of what team you root for. It's just more shocking that a Reds fan would believe the idiotic idea that Cueto "ended LaRue's career" than a Cards fan would.

If LaRue was good or even average at that stage of his career, he would have been offered a contract by another team in 2011 and would have played again. Cueto didn't end LaRue's career. LaRue's lack of skills ended LaRue's career. And it's flat-out embarrassing that REDS FANS are helping perpetuate the myth that Cueto ended LaRue's career. That is a black mark against Cueto that he doesn't deserve. Not even close. He was kicking his leg out of fear for his own safety after getting pinned up against the screen/wall. LaRue shouldn't have been in the middle of it if he had a history of concussions. Regardless, Cueto did not end LaRue's career. LaRue ended LaRue's career. If LaRue had any skills left, someone would have offered him a MLB deal in 2011. No one did. That's why he retired. It's foolish to believe otherwise.

LaRue was on a major league roster before Cueto kicked him in the head. Fact. Cueto kicked him in the head, causing him to miss the rest of the season. Fact. LaRue never played in a major league game again. Fact.

Therefor, Cueto ended his career. It's not embarrassing at all, it's true. You can acknowledge the fact LaRue's career was coming to an end and he was old and bad. I understand that, but Cueto did end his career.

And people need to give up this "Cueto was kicking because he was pinned against the screen" stuff. Cueto isn't a child and he wasn't the only person pinned against the screen. Nobody was coming at him or swinging at him. He was in the wrong. Feel free to push and shove and swing your way out of it (like everyone else was), don't start kicking people in the head with spikes on.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-12-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    LaRue was on a major league roster before Cueto kicked him in the head. Fact. Cueto kicked him in the head, causing him to miss the rest of the season. Fact. LaRue never plaeyd in a major league game again. Fact.

Therefor, Cueto ended his career. It's not embarrassing at all, it's true. You can acknowledge the fact LaRue's career was coming to an end and he was old and bad. I understand that, but Cueto did end his career.
    Your original use of the "literal ending of Larue's career" was used in analogy saying if you think Quentin should be suspended as long as Greinke is hurt, than Cueto should have been kicked out of baseball. That implies LaRue had a long healthy career ahead of him in this "eye for an eye" context.

Now you are just trying to win on a technicality.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Your original use of the "literal ending of Larue's career" was used in analogy saying if you think Quentin should be suspended as long as Greinke is hurt, than Cueto should have been kicked out of baseball. That implies LaRue had a long healthy career ahead of him in this "eye for an eye" context.

Now you are just trying to win on a technicality.
    It's not a technically! He ended his career. The eye for an eye thing is stupid.

Best case, Cueto ended his season and LaRue's badness ended his career. Should Cueto have been suspended until LaRue was medically cleared to play? I remember reading an article the year after saying that LaRue was still having concussion issues.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Yeah, Cueto ended LaRue's career. You keep telling yourself that.

That stance is delusional: No one in baseball actually thinks Cueto ended LaRue's career. FACT.

In a related story, when/where is your next stand-up act?

I do stand up every other Friday at a Comedy Club in Newport. Next show is next week. Hope you check it out.

I do stand up every other Friday at a Comedy Club in Newport. Next show is next week. Hope you check it out.
    If your material is half as good as "Cueto ended LaRue's career" I'll be laughing my arse off down the aisles, even if I'm sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    That stance is delusional: No one in baseball actually thinks Cueto ended LaRue's career. FACT.
    You can't possibly know that.

To say that Cueto ended Jason LaRue's career implies that Cueto knocked him so hard that he got a concussion that he couldn't come back from. Yeah, it knocked LaRue out for a while and put him on the DL, and then it turned out LaRue was old and bad and nobody wanted him.

Cueto didn't "end LaRue's career". That's complete garbage.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If Greinke doesn't want to get charged, don't hit someone up around the head with a 90 MPH baseball.

Quentin's shoulder doesn't feel any better if it was an accident.

And really- I think it was on purpose. What better time to throw a bean ball than when nobody expects it.

Quentin got hit the day before, Kemp got a brushback...then oops of all nine guys in the lineup Quentin gets drilled and it ain't close.

He should have kept his mouth shut and not led with his shoulder.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

As for the argument Quentin was "standing right on the plate."

It hit him on the upper shoulder, too. Not even close to Quentin's stance.

Greinke should work on his control if he just accidentally lets pitches go that fall six inchies below someone's chin.

He shouldn't be out there, he's dangerous.

LaRue was on a major league roster before Cueto kicked him in the head. Fact. Cueto kicked him in the head, causing him to miss the rest of the season. Fact. LaRue never played in a major league game again. Fact.

And people need to give up this "Cueto was kicking because he was pinned against the screen" stuff. Cueto isn't a child and he wasn't the only person pinned against the screen. Nobody was coming at him or swinging at him. He was in the wrong. Feel free to push and shove and swing your way out of it (like everyone else was), don't start kicking people in the head with spikes on.
    I ate a chicken sandwich today. Fact. Jonathan Winters died today. Fact. Therefore, every time I eat a chicken sandwich a celebrity dies.

See the error in your logic? Correlation does not mean causation.

LaRue's career ended because it was already over. If it happened to another player who actually had time left on his major league career then that person's career would not be over after that kick. In fact, if it happened to any Cardinal that had a lick of talent he would have been put on the 15 day DL (at most) and in a couple of weeks back with the team. Yet the Cardinals wanted that spot on the 40 man instead of waiting for a guy who got in 3 games a month (with a whopping .595 OPS) to get better.

The kick may have caused an injury, but his age and poor play ended his career.
    Last edited by scott91575; 04-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Grienke's defensive posture seemed to be pretty reactionary to me. A huge man came at him and he lowered his shoulder to take the blow. I think there is a saying called "shouldering the blow" for a reason. The hitter charging the mound was the cause of the injury. Quentin reacted, so his ability to judge intent is non-existent.

Regardless of the intent, charging the mound to lay out a guy is the wrong reaction. Yes, he is supposed to just take it. He can give a mean stare, he can can drop Fbombs, he can even rub it, but he can't charge the mound.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    It hit him on the upper shoulder, too. Not even close to Quentin's stance.

Greinke should work on his control if he just accidentally lets pitches go that fall six inchies below someone's chin.

He shouldn't be out there, he's dangerous.
    So there are two ways to go with this...

1) You actually think wild pitchers should not be allowed to pitch, and that every single pitcher who has control never had one get away. I am pretty sure every pitcher in major league baseball has hit a batter unintentionally, including in the shoulder.

or

2) You think Greinke, who had 12 previous pitches in which to plunk Quentin, decided to do it on a 3-2 count to the the leadoff man in the bottom of the 6th of a 1 run game. If you think it was retaliation for Kemp, that pitch happened in the top of the first inning and Quentin batted in the bottom of the first with 2 outs. Seems like that 2 out opportunity would have been a good time to hit him.

So either no one should ever be able to pitch again or Greinke is so wild it took him 13 pitches to finally hit him.

Turn Off Ads?