Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone wishing we pulled the trigger on Fowler?

Anyone wishing we pulled the trigger on Fowler?

He is a free agent until 2016, and assuming we cant retain choo. I wouldnt mind seeing Fowler in Left, Hamilton in Center, and Bruce in Right. Not to mention batting Fowler/Hamilton/Joey/Brandon/Bruce. Anyway, what do you guys think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone wishing we pulled the trigger on Fowler?

Fowler is a very nice player and obviously more of a true centerfielder than Choo but I'd bet a pretty penny when Walt asked about him they probably wanted a Hamilton/Cingrani package. Fowler is a much better pro than Hamilton will ever be. I'm happy with Choo and would rather have him and go about this year by year than giving up high level prospects.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Fowler is a very nice player and obviously more of a true centerfielder than Choo but I'd bet a pretty penny when Walt asked about him they probably wanted a Hamilton/Cingrani package. Fowler is a much better pro than Hamilton will ever be. I'm happy with Choo and would rather have him and go about this year by year than giving up high level prospects.
    i didnt even think about what they would be asking for, but in perfect world we could have given the same thing we gave the Tribe. seriously though it does feel like the rockies want fowler to fail. just a vibe i get.

I would love Fowler on this team. I disagree that he's a better pro than Hamilton will ever be though. I like Hamilton's upside a lot.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2135 View Post
    He is a free agent until 2016....
    Why get a player that is going to be a free agent for the next 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Why get a player that is going to be a free agent for the next 3 years?
    i meant he wont be a free agent until 2016, my bad.

Just because a team wants a player doesn't mean the other team wants to get rid of him.

there was actual discussions by both teams about a deal for Fowler back during the winter meetings

Rockies, Reds Have Discussed Fowler
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 7, 2012 at 2:19pm CST]
    2:19pm: Talks between the Phillies and Rockies never got serious, Renck reports (on Twitter). Talks with the Reds could pick up, but Colorado's demands haven't changed.

1:18pm: The Phillies had some serious talks with the Rockies about Fowler before acquiring Ben Revere, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports (Twitter links). The Mariners have also checked in on Fowler, who seems to be a backup plan for Seattle.

11:21pm: The Rockies and Reds have engaged in preliminary trade talks about Dexter Fowler, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Cincinnati could trade players from its MLB roster, but right-hander Homer Bailey will likely remain with the Reds, according to Rosenthal.

Any Reds package would start with Mike Leake and involve at least two more prospects, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported last night. The Reds maintain interest in Fowler and the Braves can't be ruled out, Renck adds.

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty recently downplayed the chances of trading for Fowler, saying he hasn’t really talked to the Rockies. “I’m not sure Colorado is moving Fowler,” Jocketty said, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer suggested this week that the Reds could make a run at acquiring Fowler.

From a financial standpoint trading for Fowler would be more affordable than signing Michael Bourn. Fowler, a 26-year-old switch hitter, posted a .300/.389/.474 batting line in 530 plate appearances this past season. He's second time arbitration eligible with a projected salary of $4MM and will remain under team control through 2015.

Rosenthal suggests the Reds could trade MLB players such as Leake and outfielder Drew Stubbs.

Turn Off Ads?